Flags of our Fathers

Tom Sawyer

I'm really looking forward to this. At first, I wasn't... I thought it would be another "Pearl Harbor" or "Windtalkers" (in other words, a rah rah hollywood action film with a WWII background). But when I found out that Eastwood would be directing it, I became instantly excited about it.

Here's a link to view a clip from the film: 'Flags of Our Fathers' clip.

I saw this movie last night. It's a deeply stirring and powerful film and I strongly recommend it to all of you.

I saw it tonight, and appreciated the story. It seems like a great book, but the movie wasn't that enjoyable to me. I think it would make a better straight-up documentary.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Oct 10 2006, 10:39 AM)
I'm really looking forward to this. At first, I wasn't... I thought it would be another "Pearl Harbor" or "Windtalkers" (in other words, a rah rah hollywood action film with a WWII background). But when I found out that Eastwood would be directing it, I became instantly excited about it.

Pearl Harbor 062802puke_prv.gif Did everyone look like models in the 40's?

I'm also looking forward to seeing this, for the ones who have does it rank up there with Saving Private Ryan for graphic display of battle?

QUOTE (softfilter @ Nov 10 2006, 04:38 AM)

I'm also looking forward to seeing this, for the ones who have does it rank up there with Saving Private Ryan for graphic display of battle?

Yes it does, but that shouldn't be your reason for going to see it.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 10 2006, 07:09 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Nov 10 2006, 04:38 AM)

Yes it does, but that shouldn't be your reason for going to see it.

No, of course not I'm not shallow, I was just curious if that aspect of the film carried the same gritty realism as the opening scene of the D-Day Invasion from Ryan. I'm a history buff and my father was a WWII veteran .(squad leader sgt and received a bronze star which is one of my most cherished possesions.)

I watched a history channel documentary awhile back on this, tragic and interesting the lives of those men involved with the famous photograph.

i would say Flags of Our Fathers was probably just as disturbing or MORE disturbing and graphic than saving private ryan, war-violence-wise.

not that it really disturbed me that much, i'm pretty desensitized to gore and stuff, but i'll bet it made quite a few people cringe.

but i didn't think it was looked quite as realistic as Saving Private Ryan. they might have went a little too far on the special affects, they look really cool but not quite 100% real. i personally didn't think so anyway.

i liked the movie, but i didn't necesarilly think it was amazing. it had some great action as well as drama, in fact one scene i think i almost cried, but just overall as a whole i didn't think it was like an AMAZING movie, just very good.

i personally prefer Saving Private Ryan.

Edited by Freedom_Fighter