Best way to experience music

Slime

Which of the following is the best way to experience music?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is the best way to experience music?

• Being at a live show
    • watching a show on DVD
    • listening to a live album
    • listening to a studio album
    • performing live (that is, YOU playing)
    • listening to demos (box set or bootleg)

To me it's a studio album, an album that took time to perfect, which can almost never be duplicated (Rush aside) live to as good effect. Sure, the excitement of a live show is great, but nothing to me beats a great studio album played amplified on a good stereo for day to day enjoyment.

They all have their merits

Studio albums probably, but I have some live albums that are one-off performances and there is no studio alternative, so it depends...

Seeing a band live is great but not always possible...

performing live (that is, YOU playing)

is ideal.

Usually, plain old studio albums, but in my opinion, there are a handful of bands (including Rush) who sound killer live, and the best way to experience their music is through a live DVD or CD, or ultimately, being physically at a show.

There will be as many different answers as there are people...

but as an amateur musician, I'd have to say playing is the ultimate music experience, very spiritual...

after that, a live concert...

and I tend to watch a lot of concert DVD's, which are nice b/c you can see more of what's going on onstage.

Just had a debate over live vs. studio CD's over on the Supergroup MB (VH1.com), and I was one of the... well, maybe the only one who was fond of live CD's, because of the kinds of artists that I prefer really lend themselves to that format, but not many others do (does that make sense?). Not everyone can perform up to the level of Rush at their concerts. So live albums can be hit-or-miss...

but if you put me on a deserted island, there are a couple of live albums that I couldn't live without. Sometimes a live moment can transcend anything that can be put together in a studio... a spark of creativity or moment of extreme passion or just another way of playing that may be even better than the "original". And that just goes through the ears and straight to the heart and soul. Polling my friends, though, the non-musicians tend to prefer studio albums.

Of course, one of my friends worked at a recording studio in the 60's and 70's, and he says he hears all the "mistakes" on the live albums, so that's not a good choice for him. Occupational hazard, I guess. A LOT of work goes into studio albums, can't really say that they're any less worthy than a live album. It really depends on the band and on the song. But sometimes, no matter how good the studio version is, a live version may be just a little bit better from time to time (or it may be worse! sorry!). Esp now that recording is so digital, so "clean", there's an ambient sound (auditory spaciousness?) that you can capture live that I remember hearing on vinyl, you know, and you don't hear that from the studio CD's. (and live DVD in surround-sound comes the closest, anyway)

Sorry, I didn't mean to write a freakin' thesis, but this is all really fresh in my head, having had to defend my point of view so recently. And if there's young people here that never listened to vinyl LP's, they're just gonna think I'm nuckin futs!!! wacko.gif

It's funny, I love going to shows, but I almost never watch concert DVDs. I own about 10 of them (including all of Rush's), but Rush in Rio, and a NIN one are the only ones that I've watched more than 2 or 3 times.

Love live albums though.

I'm just weird I guess.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 28 2006, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Aug 28 2006, 10:02 PM)
You've missed the best way.  Actually physically being at a live show.

It's the first poll option, silly tongue.gif

No it isnt........

(quickly oversteps his moderator privileges and erases the first option from the poll so that he doesnt look stupid)

Any of the live options, other then playing live. I personally hate listening to my own music. Other people like it, so I keep doing it, because it's fun in the moment, but I really hate listening to stuff I do with my bands.

And unless your goal was to make an amazing studio album and never perform it live, live is always better then studio. On the stage is what makes a band, not in the studio.

Either live concert or....buying it brand new on vinyl...taking it home...putting it on the table and blare it. OR do it so the music in someway takes a different step...for example...when it's raining and thundering....I will put on the "The Rain Song" from Led Zeppelin. Just adds to the mood. Especially...when i'm going to bed and it's storming out....it's the last song on "The Song Remains The Same" so I go to sleep with Robert singing biggrin.gif yes i'm a nerd just like that...

People who still buy vinyl and actually listen to it scare me. It's not an opinion, it's a fact that CD's are a higher quality sound. I buy vinyl just to be a completionist and have every copy from my favorite artists, but I never listen to them. But whatever you want to do...

QUOTE (thestand @ Aug 29 2006, 07:00 PM)
People who still buy vinyl and actually listen to it scare me. It's not an opinion, it's a fact that CD's are a higher quality sound. I buy vinyl just to be a completionist and have every copy from my favorite artists, but I never listen to them. But whatever you want to do...

I just do it because I got big f***ing speakers and the volume is HUGE compared to my computer speakers...and also the quality...in most cases is better. Whatever floats your boat.

QUOTE (thestand @ Aug 29 2006, 09:00 PM)

Don't fear the vinyl, dude. cool10.gif

The vinyl just wants to be your friend. trink39.gif

The other day, I put on a CD and the LP at the same time and switched back and forth between them. The vinyl is still really good, I was surprised. But when I switched to the CD, it was like I had been looking thru a window, enjoying the view, then someone comes along and cleans the window, and I didn't realize it was a little dirty and now everything is much clearer... does that make sense? wacko.gif

But sometimes CDs seem a little too "clean"... you get a more "ambient" sound from vinyl. beathorse.gif

Archived