Re-listening to Presto

Earthshine

Recently I picked up Presto on CD. I had not listened to it in over 10 years!

When it first came out, it was a very difficult time in my life and listening to it used to bring up unpleasant memories and it still does to an extent. But it is better now after so much time gone by.

It is so strange. That album (and other ones by Rush) seemed to come out exactly in synchronicity with my life at the time. In other words, so many of the songs did something for me in some way or other and reflected inner feelings. "The Pass" was

definitely one of them! I felt very low at the time and was never suicidal, but definitely felt, "nothing's what you thought it would be".

Anyway, after not having heard it in over 10 years, I am reminded of its greatness and uniqueness amongst Rush albums.

The only song I am not crazy about is "Red Tide" and never was. I am re-floored by "Chain Lightning", "War Paint" (brought back memories of the rabbits in concert!) and the amazing "Anagram". And who could deny that "Available Light" is one of Rush's finest moments ever.

This is, in some ways, the "piano album" by Rush! smile.gif

Anyway, sorry to ramble. Had to tell this to someone! trink39.gif

2.gif

I'm with you all the way, including the bit about Presto coming out at a difficult time in my life, and associating the album with my depression. For several years, I couldn't listen to it much, because it had such a negative association.

But it's an awesome album, with some fantastic lyrics and well-crafted songs; it's chockful of great arrangements. "Chain Lightning" and the sublime "Available Light" are my two favorites.

The only downside, in my opinion, is the production. As I've said many times, Rupert Hine's production sounds too English, too "white clean and neat" (to paraphrase Robert Plant), and almost sterile sounding. Today, even Geddy agrees with me; he's said that Rupert's production took the edge off the songs.

Neil said 'our music has become a soundtrack to people's lives'. This is so so true. Presto is my personal favourite Rush album from that era (ie late 80s/90s). And I'd put 'The Pass' down as one of their top 10 best ever songs.

When PW came out, I can't relate to that album at all sad.gif only Big money could grab my attention...HYF was worst, one of my Bass students has the CD(back then the CD was rare...) but ...no. Then I've got the video of 'A Show Of Hands' but I always fall asleep to it so I desisted for Presto and the whole Presto era...then Chronicles came out and I can't pass on that, Show Don't Tell was on it and is a great song, so after that I Bought Presto but didn't like the production and all unsure.gif and that made me skip RtB sad.gif

Counterparts was the "comeback" 2.gif record for me then T4E wich I loved too, after that came the time to give Presto a 2nd chance and digest it better and now I love it like any other RUSH record smile.gif

Anyway, sorry to ramble TOO.

Yeah, Presto is one of those that you have to warm up to. Roll the Bones has had the reverse effect for me. I used to really dig it, but I don't think so highly of it anymore.

I state this because I've always viewed "Presto" and "Roll the Bones" as sister albums.

I'd say all of Rush's albums combine as a soundtrack to my life... Or at least about 4 months of it smile.gif

I bought my first Rush album, Moving Pictures, on March 29th of this year. I got Presto, the last Rush album I bought, in mid-July. I must say that The Pass is in my top 5 songs easily, and maybe even my top 3.

So.... I don't have an album to relate to a year or a large period of time. I guess that kind of takes the fun out of it eh.gif But Rush is still AWESOME!

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 16 2006, 04:23 AM)
Recently I picked up Presto on CD. I had not listened to it in over 10 years!

When it first came out, it was a very difficult time in my life and listening to it used to bring up unpleasant memories and it still does to an extent. But it is better now after so much time gone by.

It is so strange. That album (and other ones by Rush) seemed to come out exactly in synchronicity with my life at the time. In other words, so many of the songs did something for me in some way or other and reflected inner feelings. "The Pass" was
definitely one of them! I felt very low at the time and was never suicidal, but definitely felt, "nothing's what you thought it would be".

Anyway, after not having heard it in over 10 years, I am reminded of its greatness and uniqueness amongst Rush albums.

The only song I am not crazy about is "Red Tide" and never was. I am re-floored by "Chain Lightning", "War Paint" (brought back memories of the rabbits in concert!) and the amazing "Anagram". And who could deny that "Available Light" is one of Rush's finest moments ever.

This is, in some ways, the "piano album" by Rush! smile.gif

Anyway, sorry to ramble. Had to tell this to someone! trink39.gif

2.gif

Acoustic guitars made a big return on that album as well...

I think it was the beginning of the end for the electronic era, drums, synths etc

Ditto on the "bad period of my life" thing but the album was a savior for me at the time. That album reminded me of how much I loved this band and how music is still a big part of my life even is she wasn't going to be. In fact, this album made me realize that with music in my life, I could do anything I want to.

I had exactly the same experience in 2004- I pulled out Presto for the first time in ages, largely because while it was my least favourite album, The Trinity on CP was such a strong advocate for it I thought I'd give it another shot.

It's still nowhere near being my favourite album, but I appreciate it much more now.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 16 2006, 04:39 AM)
The only downside, in my opinion, is the production. As I've said many times, Rupert Hine's production sounds too English, too "white clean and neat" (to paraphrase Robert Plant), and almost sterile sounding. Today, even Geddy agrees with me; he's said that Rupert's production took the edge off the songs.

I agree. By and large, it accentuates "Show Don't Tell", "Chain Lightning", "The Pass", and "Available Light" - easily the brightest moments on the record - but it murders "Anagram (For Mongo)" and doesn't allow full justice to be done unto "Red Tide", "Scars", and "War Paint".

Nothing could ever save "Superconductor" and "Hand Over Fist", I'm afraid.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 16 2006, 07:30 PM)
The only downside, in my opinion, is the production.  As I've said many times, Rupert Hine's production sounds too English, too "white clean and neat" (to paraphrase Robert Plant), and almost sterile sounding.  Today, even Geddy agrees with me; he's said that Rupert's production took the edge off the songs.

I agree. By and large, it accentuates "Show Don't Tell", "Chain Lightning", "The Pass", and "Available Light" - easily the brightest moments on the record - but it murders "Anagram (For Mongo)" and doesn't allow full justice to be done unto "Red Tide", "Scars", and "War Paint".

Too English, what do you call Peter Collins then German? And Terry Brown? Is he French? Peter Henderson? You got it backwards, maybe if Hine had made it sound MORE English he'd have had production values more to your liking!!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 16 2006, 06:39 AM)

You know, I was sitting in my vehicle listening to it and I had to re-check where it was recorded. Just by listening to it, I thought it had to have been recorded in England, maybe at The Manor or somewhere.

But I was shocked when I saw it was recorded at Le Studio! ohmy.gif

That just shows how much production has to do with the sound of the album and not where it was recorded.

By the way, I like the production and the sound on it. But it does sound very clean and everything sounds very "close" as in "close-up".

Presto was actually the first Rush album I ever heard, with Show Don't Tell the first ever song of theirs I ever heard, so Presto holds a special place in my heart.

(For UK viewers, and everyone else who gets it, it's like your favourite Doctor Who being the first one you saw. Presto = Tom Baker)

Chain Lightning is amazing, as is The Pass. I also love Presto and Available Light -- both have those amazing anthemic endings Rush are good at but don't do often enough.

Actually, wouldn't Available Light be great as an acoustic number next tour?

QUOTE (PhilH @ Aug 17 2006, 04:25 AM)
Presto was actually the first Rush album I ever heard, with Show Don't Tell the first ever song of theirs I ever heard, so Presto holds a special place in my heart.

(For UK viewers, and everyone else who gets it, it's like your favourite Doctor Who being the first one you saw. Presto = Tom Baker)

Chain Lightning is amazing, as is The Pass. I also love Presto and Available Light -- both have those amazing anthemic endings Rush are good at but don't do often enough.

Actually, wouldn't Available Light be great as an acoustic number next tour?

I'm not that keen on the whole unplugged thing, it works well with Resist but we don't want them taking up half an hour doing it...

I've always felt that Presto was one of Neil's shining moments. Great lyrics throughout, and I like how he reigned in the drums a bit, playing with more feel & subtle technique. Geddy's vocals are awesome as well, and of course, I think we we all welcomed the return of Alex's guitars.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 17 2006, 03:30 AM)
The only downside, in my opinion, is the production.  As I've said many times, Rupert Hine's production sounds too English, too "white clean and neat" (to paraphrase Robert Plant), and almost sterile sounding.  Today, even Geddy agrees with me; he's said that Rupert's production took the edge off the songs.

Hm.. I like 'Hand over Fist' sad.gif : nice straightforward rocker with cool guitar solo. On the other hand I can't stand 'Available Light' - the whole piano thing is 062802puke_prv.gif Tastes differ.. But I tend to agree that production of the album is too sterile. Quite an opposite to 'Vapor Trails'.

After my struggles to get into Signals and Grace Under Pressure when they where first released, every release since has been a pleasurable experience for me. I have had a few spaced out moments wondering what was going on after the first few listens with certain albums, but by and large I love each one of the last 7 full studio albums...and Feedback was pretty cool too. Call me boring if you like...

trink38.gif

(If you're wondering what the edit is for: typo attack)

QUOTE (Vicious @ Aug 21 2006, 03:31 PM)

Hm.. I like 'Hand over Fist' sad.gif : nice straightforward rocker with cool guitar solo. On the other hand I can't stand 'Available Light' - the whole piano thing is 062802puke_prv.gif Tastes differ..

Or, sir, you just have no taste at all. wink.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 22 2006, 04:06 AM)

Hm.. I like 'Hand over Fist' sad.gif : nice straightforward rocker with cool guitar solo. On the other hand I can't stand 'Available Light' - the whole piano thing is 062802puke_prv.gif Tastes differ..

I'd argue if I weren't so sleepy schla03.gif, it's 5:36 a.m. here and I need to go to bed SOON smile.gif

I have one argument though: if I had no taste at all, I wouldn't be a member of TRF! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Vicious @ Aug 21 2006, 08:38 PM)

I'd argue if I weren't so sleepy schla03.gif, it's 5:36 a.m. here and I need to go to bed SOON smile.gif

I have one argument though: if I had no taste at all, I wouldn't be a member of TRF! trink39.gif

Why don't you have a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors over this...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 21 2006, 07:00 PM)
QUOTE (Vicious @ Aug 21 2006, 08:38 PM)

Why don't you have a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors over this...

biggrin.gif

No, thanks. I'd rather look at life...

In the available light new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived