Neils 8" Splash

Test4Eco23

Does anyone know how Neil mounts his 8" splash cymbol on his 14" hi-hat rod?

I have the exact cymbol setup as Neil does and my 8' splash is mounted on my 14" Paragon hi-hat with a DW cymbol stacker, but it just sits on top of the 14" hi-hat only because the cymbol stacker female end fits over the hi-hat rod with no way to tighten it down. I am not sure if anyone out there knows how he secures it down. I have checked DW and Tama and all the other companies that offer cymbol stackers, and I can't find a way to secure it down on the hi-hat rod?

Thanks for your input!

This is my first post, and I have loved what I have read here so far. You people are such loyal and wonderfull Rush fans, it is so great to have a forum like this.

I saw Rush 3 times in one week on the R30 Tour. I have been a fan for 15 years.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but welcome bekloppt.gif anyway to THE Forum. Plenty of chat and things to do here, its "FAB Scotty", to quote Thunderbirds trink39.gif

QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Nov 12 2004, 04:34 AM)
I have the exact cymbol setup as Neil does and my 8' splash is mounted on my 14" Paragon hi-hat with a DW cymbol stacker, but it just sits on top of the 14" hi-hat only because the cymbol stacker female end fits over the hi-hat rod with no way to tighten it down. I am not sure if anyone out there knows how he secures it down. I have checked DW and Tama and all the other companies that offer cymbol stackers, and I can't find a way to secure it down on the hi-hat rod?

Thanks for your input!

This is my first post, and I have loved what I have read here so far. You people are such loyal and wonderfull Rush fans, it is so great to have a forum like this.
I saw Rush 3 times in one week on the R30 Tour. I have been a fan for 15 years.

Welcome! I'm sorry but Neil doesn't mount anything on his hi-hat. He never has!

Here is a pic to prove it.

http://www.mikekreidel.com/NeilX.jpg

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Nov 12 2004, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Nov 12 2004, 04:34 AM)
I have the exact cymbol setup as Neil does and my 8' splash is mounted on my 14" Paragon hi-hat with a DW cymbol stacker, but it just sits on top of the 14" hi-hat only because the cymbol stacker female end fits over the hi-hat rod with no way to tighten it down. I am not sure if anyone out there knows how he secures it down.  I have checked DW and Tama and all the other companies that offer cymbol stackers, and I can't find a way to secure it down on the hi-hat rod?

Thanks for your input!

This is my first post, and I have loved what I have read here so far. You people are such loyal and  wonderfull Rush fans, it is so great to have a forum like this.
I saw Rush 3 times in one week on the R30 Tour.  I have been a fan for 15 years.

Welcome! I'm sorry but Neil doesn't mount anything on his hi-hat. He never has!

Here is a pic to prove it.

http://www.mikekreidel.com/NeilX.jpg

I think he was talking about the X-hat in his question.

You're right, the high-hat doesn't have anything mounted over it, but the X-hat does. I also think that its just a regular cymbal stand that he uses to mount the X-hat, thus making it easier to mount the Splash over it.

See far left picture for the 8" splash over the 14" Hi Hats:

http://www.andrewmacnaughtan.net/Print/01.jpg

It is an old Ludwig stacker. It is specific for mounting a small cymbal on a hi hat rod. They are pretty hard to find. You will have to go to a vintage shop. I have one that I got from a friend when I was in my teens.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Nov 12 2004, 01:04 PM)

It is an old Ludwig stacker. It is specific for mounting a small cymbal on a hi hat rod. They are pretty hard to find. You will have to go to a vintage shop. I have one that I got from a friend when I was in my teens.

I was waiting for you to show up & answer this for everyone. As soon as I read it,I thought Cyg will know.

Did you get yours from where I think you did?

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 12 2004, 03:58 PM)

I was waiting for you to show up & answer this for everyone. As soon as I read it,I thought Cyg will know.

Precisely why I moved it to this forum. (Also to show off my moderating skills. tongue.gif )

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 12 2004, 02:16 PM)

Precisely why I moved it to this forum. (Also to show off my moderating skills. tongue.gif )

And a nice use of those skills it was...

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 12 2004, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 12 2004, 02:16 PM)

And a nice use of those skills it was...

smile.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 12 2004, 02:58 PM)

Nope, got it from a different friend.

Upon further examination, I was incorrect about the Ludwig piece. The Ludwig piece was on the TFE/VT kit.

It appears to be a DW piece:

Neil Splash Mount

Enlarge the picture to get the close up.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

It is a DW item:

http://images.misupply.com/products/full/DW/133428.jpg

It looks like it attaches with a small screw and tighten with a drum key. This site has it as a close-out item:DW-Quick-Release-Cymbal-Stem Look above where the arrow is pointing, I'll bet that comes off with a drumkey & attach to the top of your X-Hat!

Edited by Drumnut

Hey guys, I could be wrong here but, I don't think this is what you are looking for. Meaning something that attaches to the top of a HH stand.

Don't forget, I'm the one that owns a set of DW's and all my cymbal stands have tops like this one. They don't really come apart like you think. And I don't see how this would attach to a HH stand.

I would imagine DW makes the correct part for that application though.

Just letting you know!!!!!!!!

AH, just found the right part. Look at the bottom of this page, #904 & #906. This is what I think he uses.

DW Drums

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Nov 17 2004, 07:59 AM)
Hey guys, I could be wrong here but, I don't think this is what you are looking for. Meaning something that attaches to the top of a HH stand.
Don't forget, I'm the one that owns a set of DW's and all my cymbal stands have tops like this one. They don't really come apart like you think. And I don't see how this would attach to a HH stand.
I would imagine DW makes the correct part for that application though.

Just letting you know!!!!!!!!

AH, just found the right part. Look at the bottom of this page, #904 & #906. This is what I think he uses.
DW Drums

That it is. I stand corrected. Thanx launchpad67a. 1022.gif