Sudden changes in series quality?

Slime

Ever been reading a series that either gets MUCH better or MUCH worse in the course of a single book or two? It's kinda like you being Wile. E. Coyote chasing the Road Runner off the cliff and falling to your doom after an exciting chase OR enjoying a boring cross country ski and suddenly finding the ever elusive "HILL OF DOOM!!!" that makes your trip memorable.

No offense to those who like cross country.

I nominate "The Wheel of Time" series.

Book 1 - pretty cool

Book 2 - awesome!

Book 3 - pretty cool

Book 4 - definitely great

Book 5 - wow!!

Book 6 - not too bad

Book 7 - WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP???

What could have been a great book in the form of Road Runner has escaped and I feel like Mr. Coyote.

I've perceived this with a number of authors I have read.

Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles - downhill with a bullet with Tale of the Body Thief

Sue Grafton - Kinsey Millhone Mysteries - all books begin with a letter, series started to get stale around the O-P books. Good in a way, A-O is a damn good run.

Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum novels - started losing interest around the tenth book

I've found the mystery author who don't write series in particular tend to stay more consistent in their writing. I've always liked Dick Francis, James Ellroy, Carl Hiaasen, etc.

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Jul 21 2006, 08:15 AM)
Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum novels - started losing interest around the tenth book

yeah, which is unfortunate. they're all kind of the same at this point, but they were fun in the beginning.

pssst, i hear her car blows up in the next one wink.gif

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 21 2006, 01:04 PM)
I feel like Mr. Coyote.

http://www.videomax.ro/Images/Actors/960_a_normal.jpg

no wonder they tend to be nocturnal creatures http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/icon_fukedup.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 21 2006, 07:47 AM)
I feel like Mr. Coyote.

no wonder they tend to be nocturnal creatures http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/icon_fukedup.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 21 2006, 11:47 AM)
I feel like Mr. Coyote.

Hey! I like Peter Coyote. He's a good actor.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 21 2006, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 21 2006, 11:47 AM)
I feel like Mr. Coyote.

Hey! I like Peter Coyote. He's a good actor.

pretty naff looking though http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/icon_whispering_secrets.gif

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jul 21 2006, 08:53 AM)

yeah, which is unfortunate. they're all kind of the same at this point, but they were fun in the beginning.

I hear her Grandmother goes to a funeral too tongue.gif

even though it was MANY years ago that I read them, i remember this distinctly happening with the dune series.

the first dune book is incredible, and each successive one goes a little downhill. i made it halfway through the 4th one before i threw in the towel...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 23 2006, 08:31 PM)
even though it was MANY years ago that I read them, i remember this distinctly happening with the dune series.

the first dune book is incredible, and each successive one goes a little downhill. i made it halfway through the 4th one before i threw in the towel...

Same here! But I only made it to the second one.

I saw David Lynch's 'Dune' when it was released in theaters. I thought that it was an overblown crapfest, but my curiousity got the better of me so I decided to read the book. Surprise! It was good. It even made the movie a little better in my estimation because I understood it a lot more after reading it. Then I learned that there were 'Dune' sequels. So I got the second book. Letdown! It sucked. I thought that anyone could have a lapse, so I thought about getting the next one in the series. Thank God I learned that a co-worker had read all of the 'Dune' books so I asked him if the other sequels were worth reading. He said that since I didn't like the second one I really shouldn't waste my time. So I didn't.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 23 2006, 07:53 PM)
I saw David Lynch's 'Dune' when it was released in theaters. I thought that it was an overblown crapfest, but my curiousity got the better of me so I decided to read the book. Surprise! It was good.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine. He thought that any book that produced such a movie had to be horrible, but he loved the book after reading it. He still doesn't like Lynch's version though, and neither do I (not many people can miss the point of the book AND make an eight year old sound like a chronic smoker AND piss off the author with the movie ending in five minutes of film).

yeah, i remember (and both were awhile back for me) thinking the book for dune was approximately 100 times better than the movie. had the movie existed on it's own with no book, it might have been more of an entertaining, quirky cult film, but next to the book it's a big, steaming pile of manure, and i LIKE david lynch too. eh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2006, 07:43 AM)
yeah, i remember (and both were awhile back for me) thinking the book for dune was approximately 100 times better than the movie. had the movie existed on it's own with no book, it might have been more of an entertaining, quirky cult film, but next to the book it's a big, steaming pile of manure, and i LIKE david lynch too. eh.gif

I like David Lynch as well.

Did you ever see the SciFi channel's 'Dune' miniseries? Now, THAT was good! Very faithful to the book.

The Dune mini-series owns it so hard that I'm shocked David Lynch hasn't issued an apology for making his film version. I'd buy it if I knew any stores that had it stocked (since I don't own a credit card I can't do the online thing).

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Jul 23 2006, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jul 21 2006, 08:53 AM)

I hear her Grandmother goes to a funeral too tongue.gif

joker.gif

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 24 2006, 01:03 PM)
The Dune mini-series owns it so hard that I'm shocked David Lynch hasn't issued an apology for making his film version. I'd buy it if I knew any stores that had it stocked (since I don't own a credit card I can't do the online thing).

Target has it, I saw it there a few days ago.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 24 2006, 06:22 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2006, 07:43 AM)
yeah, i remember (and both were awhile back for me) thinking the book for dune was approximately 100 times better than the movie.  had the movie existed on it's own with no book, it might have been more of an entertaining, quirky cult film, but next to the book it's a big, steaming pile of manure, and i LIKE david lynch too.  eh.gif

I like David Lynch as well.

Did you ever see the SciFi channel's 'Dune' miniseries? Now, THAT was good! Very faithful to the book.

you know, i saw parts of it on tv, and it was quite good, but i never was inspired to go buy it.

i very much enjoyed what i saw, but to me the book is still the best. one of the best science-fiction books i ever read. yes.gif

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Jul 21 2006, 07:15 AM)
Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles - downhill with a bullet with Tale of the Body Thief

I second that. the first three were just so good!!! but the last three i've read just didn't live up to Queen of the Damned, The Vampire Lestat, and Interview With the Vampire. those three just went together so well, with an amazing storyline, and it seems like the last three were kind of weak attempts to keep adding plot to the saga and keep the series going. they had their charms, but were also very boring in some parts and just overall not that great. i still wanna finish the series someday, i have high hopes that Blood and Gold and Blackwood Farm will better, those two look really good. and maybe if i finally finish it and read back over the series i'll grow to like the last three. they all had good parts about them that i wish i could appreciate but there just seemed to be too much boring stuff to get through, maybe the more i read it the more i'll grow to appreciate that stuff as well though.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jul 24 2006, 12:52 PM)
Wheel Of Time does get bogged down a bit from 7 to 10, but Book 11 is superb.

Stick with it Slime!!!

It may get better eventually, but why should I have to suffer through three more books of suck? sad.gif