Superman TV Commercial

rushgoober

I guess I more belong to the school of thought that the world did NOT need to have more Superman movies. Still, I had been vaguely curious to see what they'd pull off in more modern times.

Seeing the commercial on TV was not an auspicious introduction for me. First of all, they seem to be using the SAME DAMN MUSIC as the Christopher Reeve versions. My wife and I looked at each other at this point, essentially saying, "Please, give me a break."

Besides that, it just looked so much like what we've seen before. Superman flying with the same outfit, still looking like a goofy large glasses-frame dork as Clark Kent, a disguise that couldn't fool anyone. His father sending him to earth as their planet is destroyed, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I mean, I guess that's the story, and if you're sticking to the comic book, what else can you do? But really, if they're going to bother recreating such a popular movie franchise, couldn't we get a new take on it somehow? It's been done before.

Maybe the movie will be good, but unless it gets absolutely stellar reviews, I won't be seeing this one at the theater, and it's doubtful I'll even rent it. Oy... wacko.gif

Edited by rushgoober

A rental, at best.

I kinda agree with you (and my wife totally agrees with you) - it's all been done before. Why do it yet again?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 12 2006, 08:00 PM)
I guess I more belong to the school of thought that the world did NOT need to have more Superman movies.  Still, I had been vaguely curious to see what they'd pull off in more modern times.

Seeing the commercial on TV was not an auspicious introduction for me.  First of all, they seem to be using the SAME DAMN MUSIC as the Christopher Reeve versions.  My wife and I looked at each other at this point, essentially saying, "Please, give me a break." 

Besides that, it just looked so much like what we've seen before.  Superman flying with the same outfit, still looking like a goofy large glasses-frame dork as Clark Kent, a disguise that couldn't fool anyone.  His father sending him to earth as their planet is destroyed, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I mean, I guess that's the story, and if you're sticking to the comic book, what else can you do?  But really, if they're going to bother recreating such a popular movie franchise, couldn't we get a new take on it somehow?  It's been done before.

Maybe the movie will be good, but unless it gets absolutely stellar reviews, I won't be seeing this one at the theater, and it's doubtful I'll even rent it.  Oy...  wacko.gif

I haven't seen any of the previews but I read somewhere that the story takes place 5 years or so after the last one. Lois has moved on and got married. This doesn't sound like the previous movies in my opinion.

And as far as the costume goes, any drastic change in it would have many folks screaming that it ain't Superman. I reckon the hardcore fanboys are already displeased with the change in colors.

If the new movie can do for Superman what Batman Begins did for its character, then it is worth doing.

Some of the Superman backstory will be revisited in this one, as is necessary since there hasn't been a Superman movie in 20 years.

As was mentioned above, this movie continues the Christopher Reeve films, rather than re-launching the "franchise." It is set after Superman II, and just ignores the other two that followed.

I'll never be the kid I was watching the original ones, but with some luck they just might rekindle some of the wonder. Just a bit of it...

I couldn't imagine Superman without the John William's score.

QUOTE (Nunavuter @ Jun 12 2006, 12:24 PM)
If the new movie can do for Superman what Batman Begins did for its character, then it is worth doing.

Some of the Superman backstory will be revisited in this one, as is necessary since there hasn't been a Superman movie in 20 years.

As was mentioned above, this movie continues the Christopher Reeve films, rather than re-launching the "franchise." It is set after Superman II, and just ignores the other two that followed.

I'll never be the kid I was watching the original ones, but with some luck they just might rekindle some of the wonder. Just a bit of it...

I agree. You just can't have a 'Superman' movie without John Williams' score. I too saw the movies as a kid and am also hoping that Singer manages to recapture that sense of wonder.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 12 2006, 07:45 AM)
QUOTE (Nunavuter @ Jun 12 2006, 12:24 PM)

As was mentioned above, this movie continues the Christopher Reeve films, rather than re-launching the "franchise."  It is set after Superman II, and just ignores the other two that followed.

I'll never be the kid I was watching the original ones, but with some luck they just might rekindle some of the wonder.  Just a bit of it...

I agree. You just can't have a 'Superman' movie without John Williams' score. I too saw the movies as a kid and am also hoping that Singer manages to recapture that sense of wonder.

Well, knowing it's a continuation and not just a recapitulation helps, and it even makes using the same score make more sense.

The only movie I really truly dug was Superman II, and even that to me was ruined by the ridiculous 10-minute scene where the 3 criminals try to destroy Metropolis. It was just over the top stupid IMHO and dragged the whole movie down. I actually remember now that at the time they were movies (the first two) that it seemed like everyone loved to death, but I didn't.

So even still, my enthusiasm is pretty much non-existent, as I just was not crazy about the originals. If they could make something as good as the Spiderman or X-Men movies (haven't seen III yet), then I'll be happy. Batman Begins I need to see again as I liked it, but wasn't as blown away as many were. Maybe I'll get it better the 2nd time around.

Edited by rushgoober

In addition to the score, Marlon Brando footage will be used for the Jor-El scenes. It is indeed a continuation of the reeve films.

Come to think of it, this must be the first time in movie history a long-dead actor has been cast in the role of a long-dead character.

Singer has done a very good job with this one.

The first two are a tough act to follow but he pulled it off very well.

With all the remakes out there now Singer has brought a Franchise back

with an original story but still staying true to the original two movies.

This movie should be seen on the BIG screen!!!!!!! (atleast once)

Superman Returns gets a 3.5 out 5 this may go up after I see it again tonight.

*The Brando scenes are a little overhyped for what they really end up being.

Not alot of "Clark" or Superman dialogue for a two plus hour movie.*

I'm tired of all the super hero movies and the merchandise hype that goes with it.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jul 1 2006, 03:04 PM)
Then don't pay attention to it.

I don't no matter how hard they try! tongue.gif

Well Goobs, there definitley IS a new take on the movie so that should please you, but to the hardcore fanboys like me, it ruins it. I wish they did a relaunch like they did with Batman Begins. Or better yet, just waited till Smallville ran it's course and had Tom Welling do the Superman movie from THAT story arc.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 3 2006, 09:12 PM)
Well Goobs, there definitley IS a new take on the movie so that should please you, but to the hardcore fanboys like me, it ruins it. I wish they did a relaunch like they did with Batman Begins. Or better yet, just waited till Smallville ran it's course and had Tom Welling do the Superman movie from THAT story arc.

Not that I disagree with you Necro, but maybe Hollywood was thinking that if they waited for Smallville to finish then maybe their little window of money-making might've closed.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 3 2006, 11:37 AM)
Well Goobs, there definitley IS a new take on the movie so that should please you, but to the hardcore fanboys like me, it ruins it.  I wish they did a relaunch like they did with Batman Begins.  Or better yet, just waited till Smallville ran it's course and had Tom Welling do the Superman movie from THAT story arc.

Not that I disagree with you Necro, but maybe Hollywood was thinking that if they waited for Smallville to finish then maybe their little window of money-making might've closed.

I don't think Superman, no matter how awful a story, could ever generate a small window of money making opportunity. no.gif

Even the worst they could offer would make boatloads of cash. Case in point... BATMAN 4. Even though Schumacher DESTROYED the character and trampled on everything sacred about the Bat and his legacy, the movie and subsequent merchandising still made a fortune. Superman would be the same way.

For more opinions on this, check out the Superman Spoiler thread. I won't talk about why this movie sucks for me here.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 4 2006, 07:22 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 3 2006, 11:37 AM)
Well Goobs, there definitley IS a new take on the movie so that should please you, but to the hardcore fanboys like me, it ruins it.  I wish they did a relaunch like they did with Batman Begins.  Or better yet, just waited till Smallville ran it's course and had Tom Welling do the Superman movie from THAT story arc.

I don't think Superman, no matter how awful a story, could ever generate a small window of money making opportunity. no.gif

Even the worst they could offer would make boatloads of cash. Case in point... BATMAN 4. Even though Schumacher DESTROYED the character and trampled on everything sacred about the Bat and his legacy, the movie and subsequent merchandising still made a fortune. Superman would be the same way.

For more opinions on this, check out the Superman Spoiler thread. I won't talk about why this movie sucks for me here.

Yes, it'll make money regardless. But I figure this would be the BEST time for them to make the MOST. Batman Begins was last year, the tv show is still popular, and other superhero movies in general are trendy at the moment.

It's unfortunate that you don't like the movie. That worries me. Please don't tell me it's been bastardized as bad as Fantastic 4 or Hulk was.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 3 2006, 04:12 AM)

I just can't seem to work up much of any enthusiasm to see this movie, even with some good reviews. I'm sure I'll see it on video...

Good movie. Brandon Routh is excellent as Superman, and especially as Clark Kent. Singer's done a great job.

i must admit that the tv commercials and the general buzz is starting to get to me to the point where i've gone from "will probably rent it on dvd" to "will definitely rent it on dvd", but it'll take a good bit more for me to jump up and see it in the theater. still, i'm at least slightly intrigued now.

well every review i have read has said it was a great flick and the folks of t.r.f. who have seen it have seamed to dig it so i'll check it out soon. i cant pass on a superhero movie , i have to see it.