'24' movie CONFIRMED!

Jack Aubrey

OK, I was just kidding with the subtitle to the thread. I just felt like freaking people out a little bit. Here's the story from Hollywood News:

Variety are reporting today that the producers of the hit television show 24 have struck a deal to bring a big-screen version to life.

Creators Robert Cochran and Joel Surnow will write the screenplay for the film, though the trade adds that no cast has been announced, bar Kiefer Sutherland who is expected to headline the pic, housed at 20th Century Fox.

Word around the campfire is that the filmmakers will ditch the 'real time' aspect of the TV show for the movie version, according to Variety, making Sutherland's Jack Bauer the star of the flick.

Other rumours circulating are that the show may follow on from where series six leaves off, and may even be shot and set in London.

Interesting...I watched one show ine the first season. Missed quite a few & gave up. I would rather watch it from beginning to end so you don't miss anything.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 8 2006, 02:15 PM)
You can't kill Jack -- not even in two hours! waffen093.gif

so it seems laugh.gif

Who else is interested?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 8 2006, 12:53 PM)
OK, I was just kidding with the subtitle to the thread. I just felt like freaking people out a little bit.

Dat's harsh, Mr. Aubrey... dazed025.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jun 8 2006, 11:20 PM)
That is what I like about 24, it is like a movie.

Could keep it going, if they so choose. I really want to see it from the beginning, though...

icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif trink39.gif

Woohoo!! Im a HUGE 24 fan!! I cant WAIT to see this!! Go Jack Bauer!! applaudit.gif

Edited by Taril

QUOTE (Prime Mover and Shaker @ Jun 10 2006, 09:07 AM)
This could be very cool if done right. I'm a big 24 fan as well.

That might be the difficult part....How do you do it against the way they've done it in the show?

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 10 2006, 12:37 PM)
How do you do it against the way they've done it in the show?

Exactly. The only way to use the real time aspect of 24 in a two hour movie is to make the entire story play out in two hours of real time. But in that case you can hardly call the movie "24." It looks like the producers will probably make a two hour movie that depicts a story taking place over 24 hours. If that's the case the movie could end up looking like a standard political action thriller.

QUOTE (Three Eyes @ Jun 10 2006, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 10 2006, 12:37 PM)
How do you do it against the way they've done it in the show?

Exactly. The only way to use the real time aspect of 24 in a two hour movie is to make the entire story play out in two hours of real time. But in that case you can hardly call the movie "24." It looks like the producers will probably make a two hour movie that depicts a story taking place over 24 hours. If that's the case the movie could end up looking like a standard political action thriller.

I watched the first 4 seasons on dvd over a period of about 2 months. Enjoyed it immensely. If they make a movie, count me in.

Three Eye's post reminded me of something, though. In the beginning of the series, much of the hype surrounding the show seemed to be about how the show was "real time", and that it was a distinguishing factor of the show.

Three thoughts.. (and THREE Rush band members! Coincidence? I don't think so..)

1) Does anyone care that it's "real time"?

To me, it's the storylines and the characters that drive that show. I could care less that it's suppossedly "real time", to be honest. Don't get me wrong.. I don't mind them trying it as a device, but I don't think it was any significant hook to people.

The hook was the cliffhangers, the suspense, the twists, the characters, and the long story arcs (which studios didn't think tv audiences had the attention span for - 24 proved them wrong).

Without the above (i.e. the show was standard fare/predictable), would "real time" keep anyone watching? Personally I don't think so.

2) Has the original "real time" standard slipped throughout the series?

I could be wrong, but I don't think they hype "real time" anymore. And frankly, I think it's because I'm not sure if they adhere to it as much as when the series started.

I can't give specific examples. But I swear there's been times where they cut back and forth between storylines and I was thinking no way the characters did everything they did in 10 minutes.

I think they fell out of love with the whole "real time" thing and now "loosely" follow "real time". Which is fine by me.

Anyone else notice this? Am I the only one?

3) Does "real time" help or hinder the show?

I could answer this either way. My point, however, is that I feel there are times the "real time" ethic gets in the way of the show.

Example. How many times in a tense situation where Jack is discussing options and/or directives with CTU, but needs a little travel time..

..And then we cut to President Palmer, where the same options/directives are rehashed - Palmer gets executive summary but plot changes nada..

..And then we cut back to Jack Bauer who has now traversed the 5-10 miles and the action continues..?

I give the writers credit.. most of these scenes I didn't mind too much as the writers did fairly well most times to keep the pace going even when they were rehashing things. But a few times I thought it was unnecessary and trying to keep things "real time" made things a bit stale.

The worst for me were some of the Elisha Cuthbert adventures in Seasons 2 and 3. I like her as an actress but too many of her subplots did nothing for me (or the main storyline) and just seemed like realtime filler. Caught in an animal trap? Taking care of a baby in the office?

I guess I'm saying I don't see "real time" being a problem with the movie. Other than that they can't use long story arcs. I agree two hours isn't alot of time for the writers to work with. I do recall other movies that revolve around 1 day and some have been quite good (my memory fails me, anybody think of one? Dog Day afternoon, Red Eye are a couple I guess). But if they can solve that problem and it compares favorably to the tv series, it should be ok. Likely not earthshatteringly good, but a decent Sat. nite rental.

Ok, obviously I've rambled on far too long here. I'll shut up now and let some of you fine folks pipe in.

Cheers,

cool.gif

Schro

Edited by Schro

Sorry, but I'm going to have to bump this as we only got to see the end of season 5 last night.

I love 24, I've seen all of them and have the first 4 seasons on DVD. Bring the movie on................................. common001.gif