Star Trek: The Next Generation

rushgoober

I've long suspected it, but frequently watching reruns of this show that ran from 1987-1994 on networks like SpikeTV and G4 have confirmed it. I have never seen a television show that I've enjoyed more than Star Trek: TNG. Mind you, I love the original Star Trek, Deep Space Nine and Enterprise (I never watched much Voyager), but this to me was the cream of the crop.

Maybe it's because I'm a sci-fi fanatic, but this show was just done so brilliantly. It dealt with very advanced science-fiction concepts - time travel, alternate dimensions, complex alien civilizations, etc., but also dealt with tolerance and the evolution of our species in a very positive and fantastic way.

There are a lot of shows I've loved and still love, but none to me had the depth of this show with subject matter I found to be quite as utterly fascinating. The writing, acting, productions values and special-effects were top notch. I can only hope that someday a show comes along that can match this one.

Do you agree? Disagree? Any thoughts?

http://www.queens-view.com/People/smiler.gif

beam this up scotty !

I'm not a big fan of the original shows. I love Voyager, which in my mind is the strongest of the series. I like all the others though. I thought DS9 was brilliant. The last two Voyager episodes are awsome to watch, very emotional.

I loved TNG. I love ALL star trek. I kinda really enjoyed DS 9 as it was the most serious and intense of the shows. It had a lot of politics and cool stuff about the Federation. I really enjoyed it. My least fave was prolly Voyager, but I didn't see enough to really judge. I thought Enterprise was very good and I hope that the new movie may launch an early years version of the Kirk/Spock era.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 21 2006, 05:45 PM)
I agree that TNG is the best Star Trek, but I like Babylon 5 better. It went where no Star Trek has gone before.

laugh.gif

I'm really liking the new Battlestar Gallactica.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 21 2006, 02:45 PM)
I agree that TNG is the best Star Trek, but I like Babylon 5 better. It went where no Star Trek has gone before.

I must admit that I was spoiled by the special effects of Star Trek: TNG. I remember when Babylon 5 was playing, but I would get turned off by the special effects space shots since they looked like computer graphics. I guess I should have given the show more of a shot.

QUOTE (thestand @ Apr 21 2006, 05:57 PM)
It's weird, because I like Sci-Fi, but I've never gotten into any Trek.

Ditto

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 21 2006, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Apr 21 2006, 02:45 PM)
I agree that TNG is the best Star Trek, but I like Babylon 5 better.  It went where no Star Trek has gone before.

I must admit that I was spoiled by the special effects of Star Trek: TNG. I remember when Babylon 5 was playing, but I would get turned off by the special effects space shots since they looked like computer graphics. I guess I should have given the show more of a shot.

Well, they were computer graphics. They did get better as the season's progressed. There were amazing battles that Star Trek never achieved.

There are several reasons I like B5 better. One was the shear scope of the story arc. Five entire seasons told one continous story, an epic struggle between darkness and light. This struggle also took place inside each character. The alien civilizations were far more imaginative than those in Star Trek, and the alien characters were superb, deftly portrayed by world-class actors. (Note: Star Trek also gets acting points.) I liked the grittier tone, and overall I felt like the production values were better. Note that it was filmed in widescreen. Also, the music was far superior to Star Trek.

I LOVE NexGen.

It had some of the best characterization and chemestry of any show EVER, and it really was well written...

It's too bad they killed the spirit of the series with their last two movies.

I want some closure damnit!!

"The Sky's the Limit."

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Apr 21 2006, 07:30 PM)
I LOVE NexGen.

It had some of the best characterization and chemestry of any show EVER, and it really was well written...

It's too bad they killed the spirit of the series with their last two movies.

I want some closure damnit!!

"The Sky's the Limit."

i don't think so - to me the movies were always a very separate phenomena...

Having grown up with TOS, I must confess I was dubious when TNG was announced. And, I have to admit, the first two seasons did nothing to dispell my misgivings, despite some memorable moments. However, once the series settled into its stride, I found it became compulsive viewing and, for a while, a bit of an obsession.

Now, when I watch the reruns I tend to cringe quite a bit.

Nothing to do with the acting which, on the whole, is some of the best to be seen on the small screen.

Nothing to do the special effects which, for their time, were excellent (anyway, as a fan of '50s SF, I don't hold that much score by the FX if the rest of the production is up to scratch).

The writing isn't that much at fault - the scripts, on the whole, tended to be reasonably intelligent without too many glaring plot holes.

Its not even the idea that the make up department could just stick a few pieces of latex on someone's nose and call them an alien race.

No, my problem with the next generation came from the whole 'our characters are so advanced and developed there is no real chance of any friction/major group hug/touchy feely' non-dynamic that tended make some on the inter-character relationships a little on the insipid side.

Kirk Vs. Piccard...Who would win?

Kirk: quick to come in guns a blazin, Piccard, he would have to have suggestions from all his crew. NCC-1701 Was a battle cruiser made for war, NCC 1701-D a large hulk with room for kids and schools, who puts kids and schools on a ship that might have to go to war, War was low on Piccards list. Here for the fun of it, THE FINAL BATTLE

You need the newest QT that will play MP4.

http://www.ussgoblin.com/files/finalbattle.mp4

TNG First season was brutal to get through.

The overly dramatic music score and they really had too many main characters to

be introduced. They improved so much that by the end of the series it was better then most major motion Pictures.