Early Alex Lifeson Guitar tone

defrushfan01

Well i was searching ultimate-guitar.com and found this TONE setting for Alex Lifeson, its noted that its for early 2.gif up till say Limelight, but to cut the BS heres the settings, im not sayign there 100% correct cause i havent tried them out yet, so hope someone can or i will and ill let you know what i think.

Gain-6

Bass-8

Mid-6

Treble-4

enjoy!!!

If you knew exactly what model amp Alex had, and what speakers he used, those settings could be useful.

So many variables go into guitar tone. Those settings on a Marshall will sound different on a Hiwatt. They'll sound different between different models of Marshalls. Change a preamp tube, different tone still. Install different speakers, more tone change. The quest for tone never ends... wink.gif

it never does end. but for the average Joe who plays guitar and is a Rush fan, that setting would most likely do justice for them.

Those numbers mean nothing without any point of referrence. Gain means something different for different amps. EQ center frequencies, octave ranges, and Q width differ from amp to amp as well. Not to mention Alex has always played through at least a couple of different amps simultaneaously when recording. Early on he played through a 50 watt Hiwatt and a Fender Twin then added Marshalls but still used the Hiwatt and Fender. I did read that when he was playing his 355 regularly (and even on his Howard Roberts) he would have the volume for the bridge pickup all the way up and the volume for his neck pickup set to around 7 with both pickups active for rhythm tones.

More to the point, if you use an effects processor, then the amp settings are largely irrelevant anyway, and you would need to experiment with the different settings to acheive this....

QUOTE (alphseeker @ May 10 2006, 03:24 AM)
http://www.musictoyz.com/articles/chopalex.php

Lifeson's gear for every album and every tour -

Awsome FIND!!! 2.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif