I "get" Kate Bush

Nunavuter

Who could not be moved by Cloudbusting or the minimalism techno of Running Up That Hill?

Who could not go into genital meltdown upon seeing the live concert footage at Hammersmith Odeon in 1979?

Kate Bush, my friends, is the mother of Bjork, Sarah McLachlin and all the female singer-songwriters who followed.

Discuss.

cosmo.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife hates Kate Bush, but her mother and I both like her.

I've got her "best of" CD (forget what it's called), but don't get around to playing it very often. I like "Cloudbusting" and "Running Up That Hill." I also like her original version of "Wuthering Heights," but (horrors!) I prefer Pat Benatar's cover version.

I love Kate's song "This Woman's Work," which was used to great effect in She's Having a Baby.

Cheers to Pink Floyd's David Gilmour for discovering her!

Yuppers.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I have her latest CD "Aerial" and think it is a masterpiece. You could call me a new fan, I suppose.

I also like Pat's cover of "Wuthering Heights" but have never heard Kate's version.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 10 2006, 05:49 AM)
I love Kate's song "This Woman's Work," which was used to great effect in She's Having a Baby.

That whole scene with the music always used to make me cry. I guess you would have to lose a child to understand the agony. But her singing plays at your heart as well.

I actually liked her duet with Peter Gabriel also, Don't Give Up

Good to know she is still remembered.

The singles are, notably, not her best work.

The new double album includes a side-long epic. This would be kate's second epic, after the "Ninth Wave" on Hounds of Love.

That whole scene with the music always used to make me cry. I guess you would have to lose a child to understand the agony. But her singing plays at your heart as well.

I've never lost a child, but that scene makes me cry, too.

Glad I'm not the only guy weeping during that scene.

It's definitely the combination of song and movie that creates the emotional punch.

http://www.dagelinks.nl/weblog/images/katebush.jpg

Ah, William, I knew this thread would come along eventually. I got into Kate about a year ago thanks to the similar thread you started on CP. In brief:

Huge fan.

Aerial was my favorite record of 2005.

Hounds of Love is one of my 5 favorite albums of all time.

I will continue to add to this thread over time. Hopefully it will grow as big as the one on CP.

I've never been a kate bush fan, cept for that one song she did with Peter Gabriel I think it was. She's talented for sure but just not my kinda thing. Then again I like Roxy Music so what do I know anyways confused13.gif

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Mar 10 2006, 05:05 PM)
I've never been a kate bush fan, cept for that one song she did with Peter Gabriel I think it was. She's talented for sure but just not my kinda thing. Then again I like Roxy Music so what do I know anyways confused13.gif

Don't Give Up is the song you are referring to I believe.

To be honest, as much as I am a fan of both of those artists, I think that song is cliched and trite. The lyrics are totally generic for their time, and the music isn't anything special. And Kate, who usually has one of the finest singing voices in music history, sounds awful on the song. Her verse sounds forced and very unlike herself.

One of the weaker songs on an otherwise great record (Gabriel's So).

QUOTE (Nunavuter @ Mar 10 2006, 06:00 AM)
Good to know she is still remembered.

The singles are, notably, not her best work.

The new double album includes a side-long epic. This would be kate's second epic, after the "Ninth Wave" on Hounds of Love.

Did anyone get this on vinyl? Is it still available? I haven't been to record stores basically since it was released.

Rumours in Kate-land are always flying about.

Recall that even the musicians involved in creating Aerial revealed things that turned out to be mistaken. This is a woman who kept the birth of her son secret from the British tabloids for two years.

That said, the rumoured DVD is supposed to include all the Whole Story and Sensual World vids, plus "Suspended in Gaffa" and "There Goes a Tenner." The commercial vid for "Rubberband Girl" and "King of the Mountain" will likely be included.

Kate usually includes at least one bonus (such as Experiment IV on The Whole Story) on her compilations.

My guess is it will be a video for "Pi" or "Joanni."

QUOTE (Nunavuter @ Mar 11 2006, 09:08 PM)
Rumours in Kate-land are always flying about.

Recall that even the musicians involved in creating Aerial revealed things that turned out to be mistaken. This is a woman who kept the birth of her son secret from the British tabloids for two years.

That said, the rumoured DVD is supposed to include all the Whole Story and Sensual World vids, plus "Suspended in Gaffa" and "There Goes a Tenner." The commercial vid for "Rubberband Girl" and "King of the Mountain" will likely be included.

Kate usually includes at least one bonus (such as Experiment IV on The Whole Story) on her compilations.

My guess is it will be a video for "Pi" or "Joanni."

And with any luck, the Hammersmith concert and the Line, Cross, and Curve mini movie will also be on such a DVD set.

http://gaffa.org/wow/th_k326.gif

http://gaffa.org/wow/th_k233.gif

The brief flirtation with grrrrl look circa 1982 didn't suit her.

Now, the 1940s look she could pull off nicely....

http://gaffa.org/wow/th_k228.gif

I cannot get into her music. Although David Gilmour of Pink floyd discovered her and got her feet on the ground, she is too weird for my taste.