my three Neil's replica drum sets

whity63

QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Jun 27 2006, 04:47 PM)
Dude! I might have to rob you and take your Slingerland kit.

Very well done.

How much did each kit cost?

Cygnus: Are they selling individual pieces to the R30 sets?

If they arent, then i'll just beg for 30,000$, i'm sure i could go without food for a few years.

Man I want the concerts on the Slingerland.

Alright --- I call dibs on the Tamas. Whity -- don't be surprised if "some stuff" is missing from your house...

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 26 2006, 09:05 PM)
There was no 15" drum on the Slingerland chrome kit. He didn't start using one until the black Slingerland kit.

I heard a rumor last week that DW will be releasing 30 replica R30 kits for $30k, including cymbals. Don't know if it includes electronics. The rumor is from a very good source who shall remain nameless.

Thanks to everybody for appreciating my drum sets. Yes, Cygnus is right, the Slingerland kit is the less accurate of the three because back then the Slingerland chrome'o'wood set was:

2 x 22" bass drums

13"-13"-14" rack toms

16" floor tom

6"-8"-10"-12" (copper over wood) concert toms

Slingerland black chrome kit:

2 x 24" bass drums

12"-13"-15" rack toms

18" floor tom

6"-8"-10"-12" concert toms

Many years ago I found a chromed Slingy set with 24" bass drum and all started from there, I added another bass and concert toms, so my set is actually a mix of the two (chromed and black chromed) sets.

Thanks,

Alessandro

Adam (my buddy with the actual PW/MP/ESL kit) just got rid of a black Slingerland kit that had some elongated concert toms that were the Nigel Olsen (former Elton John) model. He cut the toms to be standard depth. The second bassdrum was a chrome on wood. As Adam says "Traditional thick wooden shells!" He searched all over to find a 12x15 Slingerland and ditched the whole thing before recovering it. Now he has a Tama practice kit from the "proper" era in a natural wood finish.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 28 2006, 02:20 AM)
As Adam says "Traditional thick wooden shells!"

Curiosity has caught me. smile.gif What does he mean by traditional thick wooden shells? Reinforcement rings or no reinforcement rings?

5ply without rings were available but not regularly used on Slingerland kits until 79. 3ply with rings were the standard through 78. Was this kit 5 or 3 ply?

He is quoting a Neil interview he heard. Probably with reinforcement hoops. Those old Slingerlands were pretty thick already.

Hmmm, I'd really like to know? Anyone????

Here's a crappy shot of the 12" concert tom. You can see a reinforcement ring buy the shadow below the mic. At least I know the concerts were 3ply.

http://members.aol.com/btnkbndt63/1.jpg

Oh, and here's a pic of my 12x15 black chrome tom. smile.gif

http://members.aol.com/btnkbndt63/2.jpg

QUOTE (Beatnik @ Jun 28 2006, 11:59 PM)
Hmmm, I'd really like to know? Anyone????

Here's a crappy shot of the 12" concert tom. You can see a reinforcement ring buy the shadow below the mic. At least I know the concerts were 3ply.
http://members.aol.com/btnkbndt63/1.jpg

Oh, and here's a pic of my 12x15 black chrome tom.  smile.gif
http://members.aol.com/btnkbndt63/2.jpg

The Chrome'o'wood and the black chrome Slingerland were both 3-ply shells with maple reinforcing rings but the smaller concert toms (6"-8"-10") didn't have rings.

Check this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slingerland-4-Tom-Cust...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd like to find a black chrome set to make a Neil's replica!

Yes, you're right! In my COW Slingerland set the 15" tom is 10" deep and not 12" like it should be, it seems I can't find one of the correct depth.

Edited by whity63

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 26 2006, 03:05 PM)
There was no 15" drum on the Slingerland chrome kit. He didn't start using one until the black Slingerland kit.

I heard a rumor last week that DW will be releasing 30 replica R30 kits for $30k, including cymbals. Don't know if it includes electronics. The rumor is from a very good source who shall remain nameless.

It was Neil, wasn't it?

I knew it.

QUOTE (whity63 @ Jun 29 2006, 02:57 AM)
The Chrome'o'wood and the black chrome Slingerland were both 3-ply shells with maple reinforcing rings but the smaller concert toms (6"-8"-10") didn't have rings.
Check this link:

Yes, you're right! In my COW Slingerland set the 15" tom is 10" deep and not 12" like it should be, it seems I can't find one of the correct depth.

Okay, those concerts look to date to around 1975ish. Pretty nasty looking shells? I sware I've seen some smaller ones with rings and nice finished maple interiors?

Your chrome kit is correct except the oversized kicks isn't it?

The hardest part I've found on the black chrome is finding proper orientation on the badge/muffler/tom mount with the 12 and 13. His setup had the toms switched from a normal 12,13 coniguration.

CygnusX-1Bk2

I've got my eye's on another 12x15. Got to buy a whole kit to get it and it's way overpriced.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 26 2006, 04:05 PM)

I was talking with the DW rep for my area today and asked him if this was true. He said that DW had considered it, but they couldn't get the liscensing from the band in order to replicate the kit, so it looks like it could be a no-go.

QUOTE (Beatnik @ Jun 30 2006, 12:44 AM)
QUOTE (whity63 @ Jun 29 2006, 02:57 AM)
The Chrome'o'wood  and the black chrome Slingerland were both 3-ply shells with maple reinforcing rings but the smaller concert  toms (6"-8"-10") didn't have rings.
Check this link:

Okay, those concerts look to date to around 1975ish. Pretty nasty looking shells? I sware I've seen some smaller ones with rings and nice finished maple interiors?

Your chrome kit is correct except the oversized kicks isn't it?

The hardest part I've found on the black chrome is finding proper orientation on the badge/muffler/tom mount with the 12 and 13. His setup had the toms switched from a normal 12,13 coniguration.

CygnusX-1Bk2

I've got my eye's on another 12x15. Got to buy a whole kit to get it and it's way overpriced.

Yes, but not only oversized bass drums, the toms in the chromed set were: 9"x13", 9"x13" , 10"x14", 16"x16".

No - he didnt win that kit from the moden drummer contest in the 80s -That tama superstar kit (later to become the artstar prototype) was candy apple red

(like the one that NP has floating on the dock on the lake) -Signals era (my personal fav too)

These replica kits are absolutly stunning especial the tamas . WEll done my friend -Totally impressive new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If I had the the $ I would build one exactly like the candyapple red tamas.

Question , Do you think his replica is fibretreated like Neils to get the throatier sound quality?