Seinfeld or That 70's Show

rushgoober

Not necessarily which do you think is a better show, but which show do you ENJOY more?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Not necessarily which do you think is a better show, but which show do you ENJOY more?

• Seinfeld
    • That 70's Show

If the question for me was "Which is the better show", I might choose Seinfeld, but since the question is "Which do you ENJOY more?", I personally chose That 70's Show.

I think perhaps Seinfeld was the more intelligent, certainly the more culturally significant and popular show, but for pure enjoyment, I have to go with That 70's Show.

I think it comes down to relatability. Both shows to me seem to be about as equally funny, but Seinfeld is perhaps a little more cerebral, a little more big city, and I can just relate more to the suburban (bordering on rural) casual feeling of That 70's Show. The show is perhaps a LITTLE before my time in that in 1979 I was 10, and the characters are in their very late teens, but I did use to hang out in my teens with my friends and smoke pot and watch tv and talk a lot more than I spent time living in an apartment and dating women only to break up with them for ridiculous reasons after 2 dates.

I have a feeling Seinfeld will probably win this in a landslide since as popular as That 70's Show is, Seinfeld was HUGE, but I'll still be interested to see how people vote, and especially to see what comments they write...

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Seinfeld.

I can laugh at That 70s Show.

So that gets my vote.

QUOTE (plodder @ Dec 29 2005, 11:48 AM)
I hate Seinfeld.

I can laugh at That 70s Show.

So that gets my vote.

Had to go with That 70's Show. Seinfeld is okay but find myself knowing most of the punchlines ahead of time.

wow, so far that 70's show is ahead 5-3! i did not see that coming!

both of these shows were growers for me, that is to say, i didn't like either one at first. seinfeld i just found too cerebral and too clever for its own good and that 70's show i just thought was stupid and pointless. this actually happens to me with a lot of sitcoms at first - i guess it can take time to get to know the characters and to really "get" what it's all about. seinfeld i feel is still growing on me - there are episodes i think are hilarious and i am amazed at the insane complexity of it, and other times it kind of leaves me cold. that 70's show i enjoy more consistently.

For me the Seinfeld show was too American. I just didn't see any funny in it at all. At least in that 70s show there was some good old fashioned situation comedy.

This is 2 of my favorite shows. But theres no way that 70's is better than Seinfeld. The reason being, I can watch Seinfeld over and over, after I've seen them I still laugh over and over. That 70's isn't that funny anymore after you seen them one time, well, say 2 times. Still, with Jackie and Donna it helps a whole lot.

Seinfeld is more brilliant in my opinion. I could write something like that 70's show but the way they link everything together on Seinfeld is awesome. Every show is like that. With the 70's show you can tell what's about to happen every time. Too predictable. Still both great shows, this is an important poll for real.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Dec 29 2005, 04:01 PM)
70s show was good for about 1 1/2 seasons. After that... 062802puke_prv.gif

True, Red telling everyone he is gonna stick a boot up someones ass is only funny the first 100 times or so.

Had to go with That 70's show. Though I dont mind watching Seinfeld, George and Kramer annoy me. They were all way too self centered and snobbish for it to be too funny.

Yes Red saying about the foot in the ass does get old but its part of who Red is, parents always have that same line they say over and over to their kids.

I agree completely with Indica....Seinfeld>>>70's

I remember seeing a poll recently that Seinfeld, Andy Griffith Show, I Love Lucy, and Mary Tyler Moore Show were the top comedies but I don't remember where I read it...

I will google it and see if I can find it...

Happy New Years Eve Eve everyone!

That 70's Show is great, certainly one of my favorites. They did a great job with the characters. But Seinfeld is a much better show, in my opinion. I feel a lot closer to the Seinfeld crew, like they speak a lot of my own thoughts. And I think they're much funnier too.So it's Seinfeld for me.

im sorry but its not even fair to have this poll, sienfeld is in a class of its own. that 70s show is funny, its not an all time classic.

QUOTE (thestand @ Dec 31 2005, 09:23 AM)
Ouch, Seinfeld is pulling away!

As it should be. As tick has indicated, 70's isn't even in the same class as Seinfeld.

Don't get me wrong, 70s is funny.. but comparing 70's to Sienfeld is like comparing Happy Days to M.A.S.H.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Dec 31 2005, 11:55 AM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Dec 31 2005, 09:23 AM)
Ouch, Seinfeld is pulling away!

As it should be. As tick has indicated, 70's isn't even in the same class as Seinfeld.

Don't get me wrong, 70s is funny.. but comparing 70's to Sienfeld is like comparing Happy Days to M.A.S.H.

I love both shows but I do have to agree with you on this. That 70's show was excellent the first couple years but it's like the writers ran out of funny stuff to write about. Seinfeld seemed to get better and better with age. The writers were brilliant and if ya think about it, the 5 stars in this show was only part of it, people came in and hit home runs time after time. I was surprized at first when that 70's show was in the lead but I figured Seinfeld would pull ahead sooner or later.

I'd like to see a comparison between how many DVD's were sold in the last couple years between these 2 shows. I bet Seinfeld sold 2-3 times more, maybe more than that. I wonder if there's somewhere that tells the DVD sales?

I love both shows... But I'm gonna have to go with Seinfeld. These are two out of three shows I ever watch on TV, so it was kind of a hard choice.

I do agree with what Goob said, I can related to That 70's Show, a lot of stuff they do, I do also. And once I can drive, I'm sure I'll do even more of it laugh.gif

But... for some reason, I relate to Seinfeld also, and it's just SOOO f***ing brilliant. I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld I didn't enjoy, whereas I've only seen the first three seasons of 70's (the first one being the best).

I saw the end of an episode of the current 70's season (the eighth and final season I think), and Eric and Kelso aren't on the show anymore.

Losing two main characters (one of which was the central character) and doing another season? Bullshit...

well, this is more what i expected, that seinfeld would win in somehwat of a landslide. amazingly, it was 8-8 yesterday, and now it's 14-8 in favor of seinfeld ohmy.gif

i remember for a long time i couldn't get into seinfeld. i mean, i thought it was somewhat funny, but there was always something about it that bugged me and i couldn't put my finger on it. then finally i figured it out one day. it was that i just didn't care about any of the characters. none of them were particularly extremely likeable people and i just didn't care what happened to them. eventually as i grew to appreciate the show more, this became less important, but ultimately i still feel the characters are somehow impersonal. this is very different from a show like friends where i cared deeply about the characters and all of them were likeable.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 1 2006, 12:24 AM)
it was that i just didn't care about any of the characters. none of them were particularly extremely likeable people and i just didn't care what happened to them. eventually as i grew to appreciate the show more, this became less important, but ultimately i still feel the characters are somehow impersonal. this is very different from a show like friends where i cared deeply about the characters and all of them were likeable.

That was the entire point of the series... to have main characters with little or no redeeming values. Taken to it's logical conclusion would lead you to Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO.