Can the Seahawks get some respect now?

Arndrake

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, even the next day, the whole sound of it is almost unbelievable.

The Seahawks are going to the Superbowl!

I know the Steeler fans are thrilled, having not been to the Big Show in a decade, and having not won a title in 26 years. But for us, this is uncharted waters. This is a moment that many diehard Seahawks fans have been waiting for. Some have been waiting all their lives.

This is the first time the Seahawks have ever been to the Superbowl in their 30 years of existence. This is the first NFL conference title Seattle has ever owned, and the second time the Seahawks have been to the conference championship.

I think about a friend I had back in Klamath Falls named John Pryor. He was originally from the Portland area (I think), had family still there, and served in the Navy. Whenever I came to his home with Shaela for a visit, he always called her 'pretty blue-eyes' and made her feel so special. He was a diehard Seahawks fan and tried to have a party every Sunday where he would serve his split pea soup and little smokies. He loved the Seahawks and believed in them even when the team was performing horribly. This always caused a small amount of friction, although good-natured, with his wife as she was a native Texan and a devoted Dallas Cowboys fan. Sadly, he died of heart failure in 2001 at the age of 46. At his funeral, I sang the Navy Hymn (Eternal Father), which his family appreciated very much. If there is an afterlife, I think he is looking down and smiling at the good fortune the Seahawks and the Seattle fans are now enjoying. And I'm sure that wherever Seahawks fans are eating split pea soup, somehow he has made it taste more delicious than the anything served in the finest four star restaurant.

scared.gif massive hit by linebacker!!!

Tatupu's hit on Goings had to be one of the hardest hit's i've seen a guy make in awhile......

Clearly Goings did'nt make it back into the game, but Tatupu went straight on his back and got up? ohmy.gif Can't believe he did'nt even leave the field for 1 play......WOW.........Thats a linebacker applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Jan 23 2006, 06:58 AM)
Wow, even the next day, the whole sound of it is almost unbelievable.

The Seahawks are going to the Superbowl!

I know the Steeler fans are thrilled, having not been to the Big Show in a decade, and having not won a title in 26 years. But for us, this is uncharted waters. This is a moment that many diehard Seahawks fans have been waiting for. Some have been waiting all their lives.

This is the first time the Seahawks have ever been to the Superbowl in their 30 years of existence. This is the first NFL conference title Seattle has ever owned, and the second time the Seahawks have been to the conference championship.

I think about a friend I had back in Klamath Falls named John Pryor. He was originally from the Portland area (I think), had family still there, and served in the Navy. Whenever I came to his home with Shaela for a visit, he always called her 'pretty blue-eyes' and made her feel so special. He was a diehard Seahawks fan and tried to have a party every Sunday where he would serve his split pea soup and little smokies. He loved the Seahawks and believed in them even when the team was performing horribly. This always caused a small amount of friction, although good-natured, with his wife as she was a native Texan and a devoted Dallas Cowboys fan. Sadly, he died of heart failure in 2001 at the age of 46. At his funeral, I sang the Navy Hymn (Eternal Father), which his family appreciated very much. If there is an afterlife, I think he is looking down and smiling at the good fortune the Seahawks and the Seattle fans are now enjoying. And I'm sure that wherever Seahawks fans are eating split pea soup, somehow he has made it taste more delicious than the anything served in the finest four star restaurant.

And even a couple days after that. Still in a cloud of revel!

We will win the Superbowl... this team is a fine running machine and it's so nice to be part of the parade they lead.

30 year journey!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a guy who likes to think his talking 'gets into players heads' before the game, this sure sounds like someone got into his........

This guy Porter talks WAY too much for someone who has not made more than 5 tackles in any game in over 2 years....... rofl3.gif

Glad he plans on spending the day chasing around a TE on superbowl sunday. Stevens sure took some of the heat off others to do damage......IMO........Good thing Stevens woke him up, seems he needs someone to motivate him in the biggest game he will ever play in......Here's what he had to say z7shysterical.gif

Steelers' Porter gets 'taste of blood', blasts Stevens

NFL.com wire reports

PONTIAC, Mich. (Feb. 1, 2006) -- Steelers linebacker Joey Porter minded his manners and said nothing derogatory about the Seahawks during his first two days at the Super Bowl. That changed Feb. 1 after Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens effectively guaranteed a victory.

Advertisement

Porter said Stevens' remarks were all he needed to get him going for the Super Bowl.

"I've been asleep all week but now I got woke up," Porter said. "I've got my first taste of blood and now I'm thirsty for more. Until now, it was 'Watch what I say,' `I can't say this,' `I can't say that,' `Don't do anything silly,' but I'm ready now.

"You look for the guys that say something that aren't supposed to say nothing, and I feel like he definitely was out of pocket to say what he said," Porter said. "I'm going to make sure he owns up to those words."

What agitated Porter were Stevens' comments Jan. 31 about Steelers star Jerome Bettis' much-publicized return to his hometown of Detroit to try to win a Super Bowl in what likely is his final season.

"It's a heartwarming story and all that, but it will be a sad day when he leaves without that trophy," said Stevens, who said later he wasn't guaranteeing a victory but was only saying what he felt.

Stevens also said Porter will have a difficult time whenever he is matched up with Seahawks All-Pro tackle Walter Jones.

"He had a huge game in the AFC championship game coming off the edge on the blitz," Stevens said of Porter. "I don't think he is going to have such an easy day against Walt, though."

Porter said Stevens' remarks made it even easier to get himself ready to play in his first Super Bowl.

"He's too soft to say something like that," Porter said. "He's going to have the opportunity to back up his words. I'm going to have the opportunity to back up my words. So, it's something I'm looking forward to and I'm ready to get going."

Porter also called Stevens "a first-round bust who barely made some plays this season." He also said a player of Stevens' stature "has a lot of nerve" to say what he said about Bettis.

Porter's outburst was the latest in a series of strong or inflammatory comments by him during these NFL playoffs.

He riled up the Colts during the divisional round by saying they relied on tricks and wouldn't play smashmouth football, then accused the NFL officiating crew of cheating the Steelers during their 21-18 upset of the Colts.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher subsequently cautioned Porter and other players about making comments that opposing teams might use for motivation. He also called Porter's officiating comments "ridiculous," and Porter subsequently had little to say before Pittsburgh's 34-17 victory over Denver in the AFC Championship Game.

Steelers players also were cautioned before the Super Bowl about not saying anything that the Seahawks could use for motivation, but Porter didn't seem to care.

"When a guy says something who lines up in front of me on every play, I have to like that," Porter said. "He has to see me. There's no way he can hide from me. We have to meet -- over and over and over. ... I'll remind him every time I put him on his back."

Porter also said he was going to remind his Steelers teammates repeatedly what was said.

"It was good to hear it, I needed that," Porter said. "He spoke out of turn right there."

And what might Cowher think of his comments?

"I do what I have do to get myself going and he likes to see me going," Porter said. "He knows once I get going, he knows what kind of player he's going to get. That's going to make me play at a high level."

The NFL did not fine Porter for his officiating comments. But the league issued a statement that one of the calls Porter was upset about in the Colts' game -- an apparent interception by Steelers safety Troy Polamalu -- was incorrectly overturned upon review.

QUOTE (Templar of Syrinx @ Feb 1 2006, 06:09 PM)
This guy Porter talks WAY too much for someone who has not made more than 5 tackles in any game in over 2 years....... rofl3.gif

Ever seen the guy play? Oh wow, he hasn't made more than 5 tackles in a game in over two years. Whoopdie friggin doo. It's all about size, intensity intimidation and team work, not how many stats you can put up per game. And that exactly what Porter brings with him on the field. If there's anybody on the Steelers who can back up what he says, it's Porter.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 3 2006, 01:50 AM)

Ever seen the guy play? Oh wow, he hasn't made more than 5 tackles in a game in over two years. Whoopdie friggin doo. It's all about size, intensity intimidation and team work, not how many stats you can put up per game. And that exactly what Porter brings with him on the field. If there's anybody on the Steelers who can back up what he says, it's Porter.

I can name 20 LB's that you can say the same thing about EXCEPT, they put up the STATS. Porter is not even the best LB on his team. He wants to talk about other guys stats (like TE Stevens) but nobody is supposed to look at his and make a comment? rofl3.gif ya can't have it both ways......

You said it......Whoopdie friggin doo.....your post is a weak argument for this big mouth.......

If you need me to list the 20, i'll be happy to do that for ya......no problem moon.gif

Again, like I said, it isn't about how many stats you can put up per game. So what if somebody trash talks before a game? That's football. He can back up what he says on the field. A lot of guys can't. Intimidation, especially in a game of this stature, is the key; not stats.

QUOTE (Templar of Syrinx @ Feb 3 2006, 12:30 PM)

I can name 20 LB's that you can say the same thing about EXCEPT, they put up the STATS. Porter is not even the best LB on his team. He wants to talk about other guys stats (like TE Stevens) but nobody is supposed to look at his and make a comment? rofl3.gif ya can't have it both ways......

You said it......Whoopdie friggin doo.....your post is a weak argument for this big mouth.......

If you need me to list the 20, i'll be happy to do that for ya......no problem moon.gif

I want to see u name 20 LB that is better, but remember, the coaches picked Porter to go to the pro bowl this year for a reason.From what i heard..

will all 20 LB U pick all be better than someone who is going to the pro bowl?

I have decided to make a few final comments on this thread before it fades to obscurity. I plan on making a new Seahawks thread next season.

So the ultimate answer to the initial question would have to be 'no.' As was pointed out by an earlier post, the Seahawks will never receive respect until they actually win the Super Bowl. And it appears that will be a huge hurdle to cross as it appears just about everyone from the NFL front office to the average fan in the east and south is not ready to accept that.

Now I'm not trying to be sour grapes, but it seems that the Steelers winning this year was what just about everybody wanted. I suspect even the NFL front office wanted it as it made a better story than 'Seattle gets to Super Bowl first time in franchise history.' Cowher winning his first championship after 14 years with the Steelers. Bettis winning in his home town, then retiring on top. The Steelers joining the Cowboys and 49ers as the only teams to win five times. Roethlisberger becoming the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl. Bigger stories, more interest, more money. In the end, it just seems that everything was going the Steelers way, from the fans to the officiating to the luck; Steeler receivers caught some extremely tough passes while we had trouble holding onto ours or catching them inbounds.

Yes, we made mistakes and failed to capitalize on Steelers mistakes. Yes, we had trouble with the Red Zone. Yes, we had trouble with dropped passes and overthrows. But the biggest question marks are the two penalties within a minute of each other. The phantom holding call that brought back the reception at the one yard line, and the clipping call against Hasselbeck. I will concede the first D-Jack TD called back for offensive pass interference and the Roethlisberger TD (although if there was insufficient evidence to reverse the call, there was probably insufficient evidence to rule it a touchdown in the first place). Despite what Kazz said about the score still being 21-17 if those calls weren't made, I think we may have taken the lead and possibly held it. Consider this: the reception is good and we get the ball on the one yard line. Alexander runs the ball in for a TD. Score is now 17-14 Seattle. Pittsburg gets the ball, around the 20. Defense keeps Roethlisberger from advancing, possibly. The reverse-pass gadget play may not have been used, especially since they wouldn't do so unless they were mid field. Seattle runs the clock down. Then again, it's also possible that the Steelers get the momentum back, march down the field, and score; 21-17 Steelers. Anything could have been possible.

I know that what-could-have-beens are pointless, but sometimes we just try to feel better thinking that we were the better team and that we were robbed. Even if we weren't.

Even though it is often commented that a season is not successful unless you win the Super Bowl, I think we have to consider this season a success. Decades of obscurity and small negative issues have been overcome; the monkeys are off our back. We got our first conference championship. We showed the rest of the NFL that we are a good team, even a great team. We competed in the Super Bowl.

So now we have gotten a taste of the Super Bowl and we want more. On the bright side, consider the Sonics in '78 and '79. In '78, the Sonics lost the NBA championship, but came back and won in '79. So that's something to look up to. One bad precedent we have to stop is, for the past five years, the team that lost the Super Bowl has had a losing record the following season.

Hopefully we can keep Alexander here. It sounds like he wants to stay in Seattle and he expects the organization to give him a deal that will keep him here. I just hope neither side gets too greedy. I expect Hasselbeck may stay as well. Hopefully Holmgren will opt to stay also. I think that if we keep most of the same people, possibly shore up the secondary a bit, the Seahawks will be a team that will win the championship. We are now definitely good enough to be in the upper echelon. Even if we are not getting the respect of the rest of the NFL and its fans, we know we deserve it.

I think the Seahawks earn more respect in that game they kept there heads and fought to the end they played a very good game.

IF evryone comes back they have a great shot of getting there next year they have a good Defense that is young and should be around for a long time.

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Feb 4 2006, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (Templar of Syrinx @ Feb 3 2006, 12:30 PM)

I want to see u name 20 LB that is better, but remember, the coaches picked Porter to go to the pro bowl this year for a reason.From what i heard..

will all 20 LB U pick all be better than someone who is going to the pro bowl?

The guy made a pro bowl based on his yapping off the field as much as anything he did on the field, thats for sure.......

and many players go to the pro bowl who don't belong as well as players who sit at home who deserve to go........IMO

The statement i made was.......' I can name 20 LB's that you can say the same thing about EXCEPT, they put up the STATS. Porter is not even the best LB on his team'.......and i stand behind it

First, these Steeler LB's outplay Porter on a weekly basis: James Farrior & Larry Foote

follow those guys up with these:

1. J. Vilma

2. D. Edwards

3. L. Fletcher

4. Z. Thomas

5. M. Peterson

6. K. Bulluck

7. N. Barnett

8. A. Thomas

9. S. Quarles

10. D. Williams

11. K. Brooking

12. J. Trotter

13. L. Tatupu

14. B. Urlacher

15. D. Brooks

16. A. Davis

17. G. Brackett

18. L. Briggs

19. C. June

20. L. Marshall

more?

R. Lewis

O. Thurman

A. Pierce

M. Washington

A. Crowell

M. Vrabel......all these guys outplayed the 'trash talker'..........Porter falls somehere after these guys along with some other good LB's like,

T. Suggs

A. Wilson

W. Witherspoon

T. Polley.......guys like this

And i see Porter made his usual 3 tackles applaudit.gif ......what a game for this guy. More action on the football field would be great, ya think?

Archived