Jethro Tull - Broadsword & The Beast 40th Anniversary Box Set. Due for release September.

zepphead

Collection is due on 1st September and Steven Wilson has really gone to town!

Five CDs - album remix, demos, early sessions, and a concert from Germany 1982. I can't find the concert date yet.

Kinda makes the recent Signals anniversary set look like a pile of crap!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm not the biggest Tull fan, but this album came out right after a friend had gotten M.U. and I had gotten Repeat, so I have a soft spot for it.  I bought it on CD a number of years ago and it had a ton of bonus tracks.  Nearly an entire album's worth IIRC.  I saw the tour in Providence, RI, and it was good.  I'm always surprised Fallen on Hard Times doesn't make it to greatest hits packages they've subsequently released.  I remember it got a fair amount of airplay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I'm not the biggest Tull fan, but this album came out right after a friend had gotten M.U. and I had gotten Repeat, so I have a soft spot for it.  I bought it on CD a number of years ago and it had a ton of bonus tracks.  Nearly an entire album's worth IIRC.  I saw the tour in Providence, RI, and it was good.  I'm always surprised Fallen on Hard Times doesn't make it to greatest hits packages they've subsequently released.  I remember it got a fair amount of airplay.

"Fallen On Hard Times" is a great song! "Clasp" and "Broadsword" are my personal favorites from this one. 

It might be a little pricey for me, but it does look like an anniversary release should look!

• Like 1

To me, this album has the perfect blend of synth and acoustic instruments.  It's one of my favorite Tull albums.  I just wish the band had stayed in this phase for another album or two before going to the extremes of "Under Wraps".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zepphead said:

Five CDs - album remix, demos, early sessions, and a concert from Germany 1982. I can't find the concert date yet.

I may have to have your copy as well, if that's ok...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, zepphead said:

Oh yeah and it's EIGHT CDs! I'm going to buy an extra copy so I can EAT the whole package, with a nice chianti and some father beans. Yes FATHER not fava, cos this is the godfather of TULL packages!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

"Fallen On Hard Times" is a great song! "Clasp" and "Broadsword" are my personal favorites from this one. 

It might be a little pricey for me, but it does look like an anniversary release should look!

You'll buy it, even if you end up sleepwalking your way to the nearest amazon warehouse in your Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll pajamas to steal a copy. And you'll stroke it like a favourite pooch all the way home while you murmur sweet nothings to your Steven Wilson-shaped teddy bear...and even after the police arrest you for lewd conduct with a soft toy you'll beg for to hold it close to your clammy skin...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

This package is going to be one that finally turns you into a true TULL devotee who dances at midnight in the forest dressed as Robin Hood and sporting a wig like Maid Marion. You'll finally grow proper medieval moustache and ridiculous sideburns and your shoes will be the type that can only be seen to be believed...

il_fullxfull.884167970_hcfo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jethro Tull: Broadsword And The Beast 40th Anniversary Edition

CD/DVD

Disc One
‘THE BROADSWORD AND THE BEAST’   A Steven Wilson stereo remix

1. Beastie
2. Clasp
3. Fallen On Hard Times  
4. Flying Colours  
5. Slow Marching Band  
6. Broadsword  
7. Pussy Willow  
8. Watching Me, Watching You  
9. Seal Driver  
10. Cheerio

ASSOCIATED RECORDINGS     A Steven Wilson stereo remix
Recorded on 24 track at Maison Rouge Studios, December 1981 – January 1982 (unless otherwise noted)

11. Fallen On Hard Times (1st master, Dec ’81 sessions)
12. Beastie (2nd master, Dec ’81 sessions)
13. Fallen On Hard Times [2nd master, Dec ’81 sessions)
14. Seal Driver (1st master, Dec ’81 sessions)  
15. Cheerio (ensemble vocal version)  
16. Jack-A-Lynn (acoustic version)  
17. Beastie Shouts!

Disc Two
ASSOCIATED RECORDINGS (Early 1981 Sessions) A Steven Wilson stereo remix
Recorded on 24 track at Maison Rouge Studios, March 1981 – July 1981

1. Roland's  Entry [Instrumental]
2. Lights Out
3. The Curse (version 1)  
4. The Curse (version 2)
5. Too Many Too
6. Calafel [Instrumental]  
7. I’m Your Gun  
8. No Step  
9. Down At The End Of Your Road  
10. Mayhem Maybe [with 1988 overdubs]
11. Commons Brawl [with 1993 overdubs]
12. Return To Calafel [Instrumental]
13. Jack Frost And The Hooded Crow
14. The Swirling Pit [Instrumental]  
15. Inverness Sleeper

FURTHER ASSOCIATED RECORDINGS A Steven Wilson stereo remix
Recorded on 24 track at Maison Rouge Studios, December 1981 – January 1982

16. Crew Nights (combined version) [with some 1993 overdubs]  
17. Rhythm In Gold  
18. Overhang [with 1988 overdubs]
19. Jack-A-Lynn (band version)
20. Motoreyes
21 Drive On The Young Side Of Life [with 1993 overdubs]

Disc Tree

DEMO RECORDINGS
Recorded directly to stereo in Maison Rouge Studio 1 on 15th December 1981

1. Flying Colours 
2. Me, Dinosaur
3. Crew Nights
4. Rhythm In Gold
5. Honest Girl
6. DJ Dream
7. Seal Driver
8. Jack-A-Lynn
9. Fallen On Hard Times
10. Drive On The Young Side Of Life

ORIGINAL 1981 MASTER MIXES
Early master mixes prepared in July 1981. The master mix of ‘Watching Me, Watching You’ used on the album was also prepared during these mixing sessions. 

11. Beastie
12. Too Many Too
13. I’m Your Gun
14. Down At The End Of Your Road
15. Jack Frost And The Hooded Crow

EARLY 1982 ROUGH MIXES
Rough mixes of work-in-progress album tracks prepared in January 1982

16. Slow Marching Band
17. Pussy Willow
18. Fallen On Hard Times

ORIGINAL 1982 RADIO ADVERT
UK local radio advert promoting the band’s headlining appearance at the Theakston Music Festival, Nostell Priory, West Yorkshire, England on Saturday 28th August 1982

19. Theakston Music Festival Advert

Disc Four

LIVE IN GERMANY 1982  

1. Clasp
2. Hunting Girl
3. Fallen On Hard Times
4. Pussy Willow
5. Broadsword
6. Jack-In-The-Green
7. One Brown Mouse
8. Seal Driver
9. Heavy Horses
10. Weathercock/Fire At Midnight
11. Keyboard Instrumental
12. Sweet Dream

Disc Five

LIVE IN GERMANY 1982  

1. Flying Colours
2. Songs From The Wood
3. Watching Me, Watching You
4. Band Introductions
5. The Swirling Pit
6. Pibroch/Black Satin Dancer
7. Beastie
8. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die!
9. Aqualung
10. Minstrel In The Gallery
11. Locomotive Breath/Black Sunday
12. Cheerio

DVD 1 (unit 6)

Audio only
The Broadsword And The Beast album remixed to 96/24 LPCM stereo and DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound + flat transfer of the 1982 original mix and other associated tracks in 96/24 LPCM stereo

DVD 2 (unit 7)
Associated Recordings remixed to 96/24 LPCM stereo and DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound

DVD 3 (unit 8)
Live in Germany (as per DISCS 4 & 5) remixed to 96/24 LPCM stereo and DTS and Dolby Digital 4.1 surround sound

Four LP Set

LP 1
The Broadsword And The Beast (Steven Wilson remix of original LP) 

Side 1
1) Beastie 
2) Clasp 
3)Fallen On Hard Times 
4) Flying Colours 
5) Slow Marching Band 

Side 2
1) Broadsword 
2) Pussy Willow 
3) Watching Me, Watching You 
4) Seal Driver 
5) Cheerio 

LP 2
Double-Edged Sword (Steven Wilson mixes of additional Broadsword recordings March 1981 to January 1982) 

Side 1
1) Rolands Entry
2) Lights Out
3) The Curse (Version 1)
4) The Curse (Version 2)
5) Too Many Too (3.44) 

Side 2
1) Calafel
2) I’m Your Gun
3) No Step
4) Down At The End Of Your Road
5) Mayhem, Maybe
6) Commons Brawl

Side 3
1) Return To Calafel
2) Jack Frost And The Hooded Crow
3) The Swirling Pit
4) Inverness Sleeper
5) Motoreyes
6) Rhythm In Gold

Side 4
1) Overhang
2) Jack-A-Lynn (Band Version)
3) Crew Nights
4) Drive On The Young Side Of Life
5 Jack-A-Lynn(acoustic version)

LP 3
The Broadsword And The Beast - The Maison Rouge Demos

Side 1
1) Flying Colours
2) Me, Dinosaur
3) Crew Nights
4) Drive On The Young Side Of Life
5) Seal Driver

Side 2
1) DJ Dream
2) Rhythm In Gold
3) Honest Girl
4) Jack-A-Lynn
5) Fallen On Hard Times

The Broadsword And The Beast album remixed to 96/24 LPCM stereo and DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound + flat transfer of the 1982 original mix and other associated tracks in 96/24 LPCM stereo.

• Like 1

Originally released in 1982, The Broadsword And The Beast featured a distinctive blend of rock, folk, and progressive influences accompanied by Ian Anderson's storytelling lyrics and unmistakable flute, which reached the Top 20 in the USA.

"There was some great playing on it by the band," Anderson recalls. “I think that was very much to do with the rhythm section of Dave Pegg and Gerry Conway, it was very solid and positive. Peter Vettese’s inclusion on the album was also very positive in the way that he brought some thoughtful musicality to it. And Martin did what Martin was getting better and better at doing throughout the eighties, which was being an amazingly good guitar player.

"Regarding The Broadsword And The Beast in relation to other Jethro Tull albums, personally I would definitely put it in the upper half, in terms of there being some really good songs, and a definite feeling of there being a slight return to that more conceptual thing, without it being too heavy-handed. Overall, I think that the music was amongst some of our best."

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, treeduck said:

371471b87f3e632b87a27a3904e23e85.jpg

"Good Morrow, tis me Zepphead, odds bodkins this new TULL package has got me feeling more medieval than ever before! Gadzooks and I feel 29 years younger as well!!"

Pass me my cod-piece ... quick!  For I shall frolic over the velvet green and seek out a fine hunting girl for some naughtyness!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, treeduck said:

You'll buy it, even if you end up sleepwalking your way to the nearest amazon warehouse in your Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll pajamas to steal a copy. And you'll stroke it like a favourite pooch all the way home while you murmur sweet nothings to your Steven Wilson-shaped teddy bear...and even after the police arrest you for lewd conduct with a soft toy you'll beg for to hold it close to your clammy skin...

If I go through all that, I'll probably wind up sitting on park bench, eyeing the retirees playing pickelball with bad intent . . .

• Haha 4

I've been waiting for this one, looks massive. I got into Tull at this album's release so it has that nostalgia going for it, definitely my fave  of the eighties records and beyond. This and Crest of a Knave will likely be my last purchases of these excellent 40th Anniversary editions. I likely will take a pass on Under Wraps if they decide to continue the series. I have them all except This Was and Stand Up - I had just bought the 3 disc expanded version of both before their release and felt it wasn't worth the $$. Man Ian was one prolific writer and archived a lot such a contrast from Rush. The only 40th Anniversary edition that was a let down in regard to outtakes/demos/live material was TAAB. Only a new mix and surround mix :eh:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, treeduck said:

Oh Lord if you pre-order the package with Burning Shed you get free Broadsword beermat! This might sway me, that's a cunning way to steer me their way! :drink:

We are thinking the same way!!

• Like 1

Ahoy you RUSH posers in your Grace Under Pressure super-knit sweaters and your patented Neil Peart deerstalker hats with the Moving Pictures badge, with your empty hands making a vain attempt at holding your holy grail, a true Signals deluxe box set with good extras and live discs...send me a cheer for my Broadsword copy is on the way, the discs are flying! :thumbsup::smoke::joker:

• Haha 2

Tull has always been extremely generous with letting the public in on the demos, omissions, rejections, takes 2, 3, 4, 5, radio edits, forgotten noodlings, and everything else
Not everything is worth checking out by anyone, but a Tull fan can't complain that Ian holds back.

I'm a huge Tull fan, so I certainly have other things I wish had been done differently (No Martin Barre?!) (Under Wraps exists at all ?!)

But for a wealth of deep diving prospects Tull delivers. 

Rush, not so much. Asked many times about the cutting room floor and the collective total lack of enthusiasm over ever releasing something they chose not to in the first place is more than firm. 

But boy do I wonder what paths may have been...

Tull at least lets you have a pretty good idea. 

• Like 1

Hey you RUSH tarts, with your too-tight Fly By Night underpants and your mother of pearl Caress of Steel jockstraps, and your diamond-encrusted surgical truss decorated with the original Hemispheres Arse, my Broadsword MONSTER edition is in my hands, complete with the Ian Anderson SIGNED Broadsword beermat! :wave::drink::smoke:

• Like 1