Ted Kaczynski (1942-2023) Award-Winning Mathematician Who Loved Mathematics More Than People

Principled Man

Sean:  Hey, Gerry, in the 1960s, there was a young man graduated from University of Michigan.  Did some brilliant work in mathematics.  Specifically, bounded harmonic functions.  Then he went on to Berkeley. He was assistant professor. Showed amazing potential.  Then he moved to Montana, and he blew the competition away.

Gerry:  Yeah, so who was he?

Sean:  Ted Kaczynski.

Gerry:  Haven’t heard of him.

Sean:  Hey, Timmy!

Timmy:  Yo!

Sean:  Who’s Ted Kaczynski?

Timmy:  Unabomber! 

• Like 2

I did think of creating a thread, but figured RIP might not be everybody`s sentiment.

He had some good points in his manifesto and with his brain, it`s possible he could have been remembered very differently.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

I did think of creating a thread, but figured RIP might not be everybody`s sentiment.

He had some good points in his manifesto and with his brain, it`s possible he could have been remembered very differently.

Great ideas, executed terribly

7 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

I never feel the need to say "Rest in peace", especially when it's towards murderers. 

Kaczynsky went insane and murdered people, and he was brought to justice.  He's also a very important example of how mental illness is a blight that affects everyone - directly and indirectly.  He should never be forgotten.  

• Like 1

Scary trivia- he was going to murder a neighbor's child for annoying him with noise (as children do).....But he realized they'd figure out who killed that child and arrest him.

He was insane with lucid moments.

Mental illness is a blight on society. We're all lucky he felt the need to isolate himself. Nuttier people have done way way worse.

I really wish popular culture would stop romanticizing Ted Kaczynski....

There are evil mentally ill people out there. Read up on what child murderers do before, during and after finding victims. The Devil never needed to exist when humans are capable of such evil.

Most brilliant mathematicians work in academia and live chill lives. This guy murdered people for no good reason.