Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I think you will really love Midnights, Folklore and Evermore. Especially lyrically. 

Red is a fascinating album. She was transitioning to pop, and the singles here really shine in my opinion, whilst the album tracks carry the weight of the album beautifully. When this album came out, it was exciting, because she managed to evolve her sound and somehow please everyone and not lose any authenticity. 

My absolute favourite song here is Begin Again. Tonight I've played the ten minute version of All Too Well, and fully connected with it.

Personally I adore this album, I actually feel this album captures perfectly what it is like to be in your early twenties.

Again, I love the pop singles here. They have aged brilliantly because the lyrics shine.

In a really weird way, I think of Taylor Swift as being a one woman Fleetwood Mac. This album in particular is eclectic and slightly messy, not unlike Tusk.

not all the singles super clicked with me on first listen, but I chalk that up to my current headspace more than anything. I actually really enjoyed I Knew You Were Trouble a lot. All Too Well and Begin Again both got me emotional. State Of Grace was a really cool way to open the album, and just feels like a long lost Killers or Kings Of Leon classic. The Lucky One was really cool lyrically. I look forward to revisiting Folklore (I did try it some years ago on your recommendation but it didn’t click then) and paying more mind to the lyrics. Lyrics and melodies are my two favorite things about Taylor’s music right now, and as someone who’s best strength has long been melodies, learning from her specific lyrical approach has me really excited about my songwriting capabilities for the first time in a while.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

not all the singles super clicked with me on first listen, but I chalk that up to my current headspace more than anything. I actually really enjoyed I Knew You Were Trouble a lot. All Too Well and Begin Again both got me emotional. State Of Grace was a really cool way to open the album, and just feels like a long lost Killers or Kings Of Leon classic. The Lucky One was really cool lyrically. I look forward to revisiting Folklore (I did try it some years ago on your recommendation but it didn’t click then) and paying more mind to the lyrics. Lyrics and melodies are my two favorite things about Taylor’s music right now, and as someone who’s best strength has long been melodies, learning from her specific lyrical approach has me really excited about my songwriting capabilities for the first time in a while.

I am glad! If you get a chance to listen to the Vault tracks on the new version of Red, the album could have gone in a totally different, more country direction, and stayed amazing.

I suggest, honestly, you approach 1989 via the Taylor's Version. The production, mix and bonus tracks have honestly erased the original for pretty much everyone I know

• Like 1

Judas Priest- Crown Of Horns

My favourite of the three songs so far. I only have a slight quibble, I don't love the vical effects. That's it. 

Judas Priest- Point Of Entry

I love this album. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I am glad! If you get a chance to listen to the Vault tracks on the new version of Red, the album could have gone in a totally different, more country direction, and stayed amazing.

I suggest, honestly, you approach 1989 via the Taylor's Version. The production, mix and bonus tracks have honestly erased the original for pretty much everyone I know

I can do that! Which one would you recommend directly next? I was thinking I’d stay on Speak Now for like a month, but instead I bought Red yesterday, so my rate is probably gonna be one more every week or so.

• Like 1

Save Face - Another Kill For The Highlight Reel

I haven’t played this in a while, but I probably spun it like every week, maybe more than once a week for the better part of a year. I guess this is one way to find myself again. I’ve had the idea knocking around my head to mash up Please Murder Me and Cancer by MCR for a while too. I should do that one of these days.

• Like 1

Saxon- Hell, Fire And Damnation

A terrific album. The last two decades of Saxon has really been exceptional!

Green Day- Saviors 

Wonderful.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I can do that! Which one would you recommend directly next? I was thinking I’d stay on Speak Now for like a month, but instead I bought Red yesterday, so my rate is probably gonna be one more every week or so.

I feel, personally, 1989 may turn you off a bit. Honestly? I recommend, if you want to see Taylor throw the rulebook out completely, Reputation. 

I must share a live video though, so you can see visually what her mindset was recording it:

First half of the album, she toys with rnb and electronica. Second half she channels a more traditional singer songwriter path.

Again if you want to try 1989, make it the new version.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I feel, personally, 1989 may turn you off a bit. Honestly? I recommend, if you want to see Taylor throw the rulebook out completely, Reputation. 

I must share a live video though, so you can see visually what her mindset was recording it:

First half of the album, she toys with rnb and electronica. Second half she channels a more traditional singer songwriter path.

Again if you want to try 1989, make it the new version.

I’ll check out the video when I’m not at work. I remember Reputation coming out pretty vividly when I was in college, it was all a lot of music people I listen to could talk about for a while. I even did a parody of one of the singles for a weekly parody song contest.

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ll check out the video when I’m not at work. I remember Reputation coming out pretty vividly when I was in college, it was all a lot of music people I listen to could talk about for a while. I even did a parody of one of the singles for a weekly parody song contest.

Yeah the album came out after her disappeared for a year, and suffered a major backlash after Kanye and Kim tried to tarnish her reputation. She purposely came back I think with a slight rnb edge, to sort of take down Kanye closer to his environment. Its weighed down by hurt and anger at the start then returns to good vibes midway.

• Like 1

Green Day-Saviors.

This was a nice comfy warm retro GD listen.  think like warning or Nimrod era.  they sound like they had fun and it rubbed off on me.

HOWEVER 15 songs was a bit long to e retro.  Cause around track 9.  my brain switched off and it started to blend together.

so. would i be a bad man if i say i preferred father of all?  Simply for it's short high energy over retro and a tiny bit of lethargy?

Anyway first impression- solid if a bit overly cozy.

Mick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Green Day-Saviors.

This was a nice comfy warm retro GD listen.  think like warning or Nimrod era.  they sound like they had fun and it rubbed off on me.

HOWEVER 15 songs was a bit long to e retro.  Cause around track 9.  my brain switched off and it started to blend together.

so. would i be a bad man if i say i preferred father of all?  Simply for it's short high energy over retro and a tiny bit of lethargy?

Anyway first impression- solid if a bit overly cozy.

Mick

I got bored as well, but like...complacent bored? Nothing bad, nothing particularly exciting.

• Like 2

The Killers- Wonderful, Wonderful

Odd album. It feels like a collection of killer b-sides, rather than an album of career highlights. And yet I love it, it always sucks me in! It's definitely their most overlooked album, which I get. But I enjoy it, and not being overplayed makes it feel easier to return too.

Still, sandwiched between Battle Born and Imploding The Mirage...its hard not to feel really sorry for this album.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift-Red (10/10)

Judas Priest-Firepower (10/10)

Mick

I can agree on both scores!

I'm trying very hard to encourage EP to listen to the originals first, but can we agree his best bet with 1989 is the TV?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I'm trying very hard to encourage EP to listen to the originals first, but can we agree his best bet with 1989 is the TV?

i recommended him 1989 TV already.  NO WAY would i reccomend the original to anyone pretty much ever again, lol

the production is so weak sause. Also the 1989 vault is my most fav vault yet.

Mick

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I have been going originals first so far and it’s been excellent. I will take your word on this one though, especially since 1989 was the first Taylor album to drop since I had gotten enough into music to have some concept of who she was, and its singles played all the time while I was in high school, at which point I was predisposed not to like her so… yeah. Hearing them in a new light sounds better for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I have been going originals first so far and it’s been excellent. I will take your word on this one though, especially since 1989 was the first Taylor album to drop since I had gotten enough into music to have some concept of who she was, and its singles played all the time while I was in high school, at which point I was predisposed not to like her so… yeah. Hearing them in a new light sounds better for sure.

trust me i think you'll LOVE the re-recorded 1989.

also though not my fav.  i personally think you'll get a kick outta Reputation.

Mick

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Judas Priest- Crown Of Horns

My favourite of the three songs so far. I only have a slight quibble, I don't love the vical effects. That's it. 

Judas Priest- Point Of Entry

I love this album. 

I like the word quibble, I have it right up there with squabble and collywobbles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Save Face - Another Kill For The Highlight Reel

I haven’t played this in a while, but I probably spun it like every week, maybe more than once a week for the better part of a year. I guess this is one way to find myself again. I’ve had the idea knocking around my head to mash up Please Murder Me and Cancer by MCR for a while too. I should do that one of these days.

I love this album. I'm so glad you've been enjoying it. I've seen Save Face live four times, and they always deliver. I have this album on vinyl, and I got it signed by their singer and bassist the last time I saw them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

I love this album. I'm so glad you've been enjoying it. I've seen Save Face live four times, and they always deliver. I have this album on vinyl, and I got it signed by their singer and bassist the last time I saw them.

Man I’d love to see them. I’d lose my voice for sure and it would be totally worth it, lol.

• Like 1