The Warning

Been watching a lot of their shows on Youtube and wow.  Just wow.  The shows I have watched include (but are not limited to) (1) Rock Al Parque (loved how the crowed just great and grew during the rainstorm that went on during their show) (2) the 2 full length (almost 2 hr sets) from Mexico they did recently, (I loved how they had their teachers join them for some songs - real class there) (3) the complete Kansas City show + PaoCam, (4) the final show of the mayday tour (Pao - "I want to see everybody's hands in the air!! Do you know how hard it is to sing when you have been crying?!"  I loved that exchange with the crowd) (5) the full Scranton show + PaoCam, (6) the Houston show from this year (fans jumping up on stage with them during one of the songs - thats a live act that really got the fans into the show).  I am so impressed.  BTW - the PaoCam, just bloody brilliant.  Can you imagine what we might have gained if that technology had existed back in the day and their was a MoonCam, a BonzoCam and a NeilCam??

Its so interesting to watch how they have grown and changed their style of play - even just during the tour this year.  Pao used to have a drumming motion that reminded me of Juka of Nightwish.  Thrilling to watch but healthy on the body in the long run?  Seems like she has smoothed out the motion a bit over the last few years.  She still beats the heck out the drums but the motion is less violent - to my eyes at least.  Of course I don't play any instrument so what do I know?  Might be good for her in the long run.  Less stress on her arms, rotator cuff etc.  Dany's guitar playing is jumping by leaps and bounds but its also clear she has worked on her vocals a bit.  She still has a vibe that reminds a little bit of Joan Jet and of Janis Joplin (not a plus - not thrilled with that sound) but she has clearly worked to extend her range a bit.  That being said, the way the group constructs their songs, they fit with the vocals so its not a problem for me.  So out of a negative I find another positive.  Ale - wow her bass playing is just, well, wow.  Interestingly I found a few shows where she sang lead on a few songs.  She does not seem interested in doing so but she has a very nice voice.  In time, is it possible she could grow into singing lead on more songs?  That would be interesting.  A power trio where everybody sings lead - hmmm.

I brought up groups they sort of remind me of in another post.  In addition to the ones I mentioned, I currently compare them also to Triumph (a group I saw in concert and really like) as both groups had their guitarist sing lead on some songs and their drummer sing lead on others.   With Triumph I preferred Rick Emmit on lead vocals.  With The Warning its Pao for me.

Songs I am really into?  My fav's so far would be (1) Dust to Dust (2) Narcisista (3 & 4) Dull Knives & Survive (these 2 songs flip back and forth between # 3 & #4), (5) XXI Century Blood (its reminds me of an updated (by 50 years) My Generation - a killer song in 1970 and still a killer song) (#6 & #7) P.S.Y.C.O.T.I.C & QOTMS - again, these 2 go back and forth.  Disciple might be after that.  Or Marteo.  Heck, their is a ton of songs I love.  So far QOTMS is still my favorite album.  Any songs anybody else really get into?

BTW - I also read someplace that when Def Leopard played in Mexico, Joe Elliot insisted that The Warning open for them and that DL would actually hang out around the edge of the stage while TW was playing so they could watch and listen.  Anybody else hear that story?  Does anybody know if its true?

I have not been this impressed with a new group in a very, very, very long time.  It will be so interesting to see where they go.   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Been watching a lot of their shows on Youtube and wow.  Just wow.  The shows I have watched include (but are not limited to) (1) Rock Al Parque (loved how the crowed just great and grew during the rainstorm that went on during their show) (2) the 2 full length (almost 2 hr sets) from Mexico they did recently, (I loved how they had their teachers join them for some songs - real class there) (3) the complete Kansas City show + PaoCam, (4) the final show of the mayday tour (Pao - "I want to see everybody's hands in the air!! Do you know how hard it is to sing when you have been crying?!"  I loved that exchange with the crowd) (5) the full Scranton show + PaoCam, (6) the Houston show from this year (fans jumping up on stage with them during one of the songs - thats a live act that really got the fans into the show).  I am so impressed.  BTW - the PaoCam, just bloody brilliant.  Can you imagine what we might have gained if that technology had existed back in the day and their was a MoonCam, a BonzoCam and a NeilCam??

Its so interesting to watch how they have grown and changed their style of play - even just during the tour this year.  Pao used to have a drumming motion that reminded me of Juka of Nightwish.  Thrilling to watch but healthy on the body in the long run?  Seems like she has smoothed out the motion a bit over the last few years.  She still beats the heck out the drums but the motion is less violent - to my eyes at least.  Of course I don't play any instrument so what do I know?  Might be good for her in the long run.  Less stress on her arms, rotator cuff etc.  Dany's guitar playing is jumping by leaps and bounds but its also clear she has worked on her vocals a bit.  She still has a vibe that reminds a little bit of Joan Jet and of Janis Joplin (not a plus - not thrilled with that sound) but she has clearly worked to extend her range a bit.  That being said, the way the group constructs their songs, they fit with the vocals so its not a problem for me.  So out of a negative I find another positive.  Ale - wow her bass playing is just, well, wow.  Interestingly I found a few shows where she sang lead on a few songs.  She does not seem interested in doing so but she has a very nice voice.  In time, is it possible she could grow into singing lead on more songs?  That would be interesting.  A power trio where everybody sings lead - hmmm.

I brought up groups they sort of remind me of in another post.  In addition to the ones I mentioned, I currently compare them also to Triumph (a group I saw in concert and really like) as both groups had their guitarist sing lead on some songs and their drummer sing lead on others.   With Triumph I preferred Rick Emmit on lead vocals.  With The Warning its Pao for me.

Songs I am really into?  My fav's so far would be (1) Dust to Dust (2) Narcisista (3 & 4) Dull Knives & Survive (these 2 songs flip back and forth between # 3 & #4), (5) XXI Century Blood (its reminds me of an updated (by 50 years) My Generation - a killer song in 1970 and still a killer song) (#6 & #7) P.S.Y.C.O.T.I.C & QOTMS - again, these 2 go back and forth.  Disciple might be after that.  Or Marteo.  Heck, their is a ton of songs I love.  So far QOTMS is still my favorite album.  Any songs anybody else really get into?

BTW - I also read someplace that when Def Leopard played in Mexico, Joe Elliot insisted that The Warning open for them and that DL would actually hang out around the edge of the stage while TW was playing so they could watch and listen.  Anybody else hear that story?  Does anybody know if its true?

I have not been this impressed with a new group in a very, very, very long time.  It will be so interesting to see where they go.   

It sounds like you're going down the video rabbit hole that I did when I got into them six months ago. Just beware of watching any of the video chats they have online (there's a lot of them) and falling completely in love with them as people too like myself and so many other fans have 😄

As song writers they have found something very special. They do exactly what the song needs to be good, nothing more nothing less. Yet they still manage to make the songs have both musical and lyrical depth while still making them appealing and easy to get into. I have never gotten a Joan Jett or Joplin vibe from Dany. Vocally she reminds me of Ann Wilson of Heart. They can belt it out really strong but they can also be very melodic and emotional with their singing. There's also some Lzzy Hale in Dany's stronger vocals. Obviously an influence on her even before they got to tour with each other. On stage, she's just Dany. There's no other way to describe her persona. Energy, charisma, talent, passion, brains and beauty. She has it all to be a great rock and roll front woman.

I'm glad you checked out the Pau cams. I really liked the one from Scranton the most. She has certainly refined and matured her playing style. In early years she played with a bit more aggression. As time has gone on, she still plays with that but has learned to control it more which will no doubt help her out in the long run. She doesn't have the biggest kit but she makes the most of it. There are many times where I don't know how she plays some of the stuff without a bigger kit. It's the same as their songwriting. Knowing what she has to work with and making the most out of what she has. She hits hard too. I have no clue how a woman who is about five feet tall and probably only a hundred pounds hits so hard. It must be her playing style combined with speed and accuracy that brings such a loud sound. She's just as charismatic and engaging as Dany on stage. It's just you may not see it immediately since she's sitting behind the drums and she's tiny as hell.

Ale is the introvert of the group. She doesn't like to sing lead and only does it when it's necessary to help out Dany if she's sick or her voice isn't doing as well that day. She sang Red Hands Never Fade earlier this year when Dany had a cold. Pau also did lead vocals on a few songs at that show. I have also seen a video of her singing Hunter. This was during the QOTMS tour and I think Dany wasn't feeling well that day. There was also another one from that tour where she sang Red Hands but I think that was just to give Dany's voice a break during the set since it was a longer show. I don't think she will ever sing lead unless it's a song that ends up meaning a lot to her. Her look with the jet black hair does remind me of Joan Jett's. Great player and does a great job of holding the sound down with Pau.

I'm glad you saw those two shows from Mexico City. Those were amazing and shows that once the band ascends to the next level they will have no problem making the jump to having a bigger show. If you haven't seen the video of the shows at the Troubadour from earlier this year check out the one from the first night. It's the only show on the tour where Dany played Crimson Queen.

Ok, I've gone on for too long but I can easily go on for a lot longer. That's how much I've grown to love this band.

On 10/23/2022 at 10:54 PM, J2112YYZ said:

It sounds like you're going down the video rabbit hole that I did when I got into them six months ago. Just beware of watching any of the video chats they have online (there's a lot of them) and falling completely in love with them as people too like myself and so many other fans have 😄

As song writers they have found something very special. They do exactly what the song needs to be good, nothing more nothing less. Yet they still manage to make the songs have both musical and lyrical depth while still making them appealing and easy to get into. I have never gotten a Joan Jett or Joplin vibe from Dany. Vocally she reminds me of Ann Wilson of Heart. They can belt it out really strong but they can also be very melodic and emotional with their singing. There's also some Lzzy Hale in Dany's stronger vocals. Obviously an influence on her even before they got to tour with each other. On stage, she's just Dany. There's no other way to describe her persona. Energy, charisma, talent, passion, brains and beauty. She has it all to be a great rock and roll front woman.

I'm glad you checked out the Pau cams. I really liked the one from Scranton the most. She has certainly refined and matured her playing style. In early years she played with a bit more aggression. As time has gone on, she still plays with that but has learned to control it more which will no doubt help her out in the long run. She doesn't have the biggest kit but she makes the most of it. There are many times where I don't know how she plays some of the stuff without a bigger kit. It's the same as their songwriting. Knowing what she has to work with and making the most out of what she has. She hits hard too. I have no clue how a woman who is about five feet tall and probably only a hundred pounds hits so hard. It must be her playing style combined with speed and accuracy that brings such a loud sound. She's just as charismatic and engaging as Dany on stage. It's just you may not see it immediately since she's sitting behind the drums and she's tiny as hell.

Ale is the introvert of the group. She doesn't like to sing lead and only does it when it's necessary to help out Dany if she's sick or her voice isn't doing as well that day. She sang Red Hands Never Fade earlier this year when Dany had a cold. Pau also did lead vocals on a few songs at that show. I have also seen a video of her singing Hunter. This was during the QOTMS tour and I think Dany wasn't feeling well that day. There was also another one from that tour where she sang Red Hands but I think that was just to give Dany's voice a break during the set since it was a longer show. I don't think she will ever sing lead unless it's a song that ends up meaning a lot to her. Her look with the jet black hair does remind me of Joan Jett's. Great player and does a great job of holding the sound down with Pau.

I'm glad you saw those two shows from Mexico City. Those were amazing and shows that once the band ascends to the next level they will have no problem making the jump to having a bigger show. If you haven't seen the video of the shows at the Troubadour from earlier this year check out the one from the first night. It's the only show on the tour where Dany played Crimson Queen.

Ok, I've gone on for too long but I can easily go on for a lot longer. That's how much I've grown to love this band.

Yup, down the rabbit hole.  I think I dived in headfirst.

I 100% agree with the songwriting - that really makes them special.  But they also have the ability to let songs breathe.  The 2 really go together.  Perhaps they are all one.  Once upon a time, groups had that ability.  Its an ability that is grossly underrated and has (IMO) been an art that was lost at the end of the 1980's / early 1990's with the rise of thrash metal and grunge.  In recent years far to many groups went for a "wall of sound" (or as I like to call it "a thick fog of noise") and that just smothers the beauty of the music.  I am not saying to be Air Supply (although I have their "Lost in Love" album and kind of like it) but if you pause once in a while then it makes the fast/aggressive playing all the better.  If all you do is try to play fast as possible, as loud as possible and use extreme vocals (yuck!!) the message of the lyrics is lost.  The Who were an incredibly loud and energetic band in their prime but they could also let songs breathe and that helped make them great (IMO).  Listen carefully to classic hard rock & Metal groups (Rush, Zeppelin, The Who, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden, Accept, & even Halloween), they had the ability.  The Warning seem to have found this lost (IMO) art.  

Dany does not remind me of Ann Wilson of Heart.  At least not Ann as I saw Heart in either the 80's (3 times) or around 2010 (another 3 times).  Perhaps you have heard something I have missed - guess I will just have to listen some more!!!  I agree she reminds me of Lizzy Hale - not a plus.  Not thrilled with Lizzy Hale.  Dany's vocals are the thing I would say that thrills me the least with the group.  That being said, they write songs that get the most out of them so its not a huge deal (more positive things about their song writing there).  I would also point out that their was a great group who had a lead singer who's vocals could take some getting used to at times.  They also wrote songs that got the most out that singers vocal ability.  The group?  Rush.

I agree with you Dany has it all to be a great front woman.  That being said, in some of the recent shows I almost felt she took over to much and, instead of the show being balanced between the 3 of them, at times I almost felt like it was her and the other 2.  Up to now I had felt that the stage was balanced between the 3 of them - similar to how I always felt Rush was balanced.  This slight unbalancing worries me a bit.  But I will trust them not to let it get to far out of balance (see - down the rabbit hole but willing to question a bit).  Her guitar playing also seems to have slight Randy Rhodes influences iin it (to my ear).

I am with you on Pao - she is just amazing &, as you said, engaging and charismatic.  I also watched their show from Corpus Christi (done totally on the PaoCam).  Great show.  Its very interesting that she mentioned that she likes drumming in her bare feet.  No shoes or socks.  That really impressed me.  From an interview I gather she likes playing that way - could become an interesting trademark for her.  Just imagine a big arena, lights go down, then the big screen shows Pao getting behind the drums and taking her shoes and socks off - crowed knows what is about to start and really goes nuts.  That could become a standard of their show.  Just a crazy thought.

Given Ale's introverted nature I agree with you about her singing lead.  Pitty - she has a good voice.  I also found a show were she sang lead on Dull Knives.  But her bass playing -  wow.  I found a story that Pao figured out that Ale was a musical genius when Ale was 8 years old as Ale was playing Hysteria by Muse at that point.  At first I figured she meant Def Leopard's Hysteria.  But no, it was Muse.  That some complex base work.

I like the Mexico City shows but the show I liked the most was Rock Al Parque.  Thanks for recommending the Troubadour - I will check it out.   Guess that will be my show for the night.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 10:02 PM, J2112YYZ said:

Here's them opening for Guns N Roses in Monterrey last night.

I did not think this was one of their best.  I also thought the crowed was lame.  As for Guns and Roses - ugh.  I watched their set.  Slash can still play.  Thats a plus.  But Axl - did not impress.  Not with his vocals nor with energy.  Was not impressed at all.  

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Yup, down the rabbit hole.  I think I dived in headfirst.

I 100% agree with the songwriting - that really makes them special.  But they also have the ability to let songs breathe.  The 2 really go together.  Perhaps they are all one.  Once upon a time, groups had that ability.  Its an ability that is grossly underrated and has (IMO) been an art that was lost at the end of the 1980's / early 1990's with the rise of thrash metal and grunge.  In recent years far to many groups went for a "wall of sound" (or as I like to call it "a thick fog of noise") and that just smothers the beauty of the music.  I am not saying to be Air Supply (although I have their "Lost in Love" album and kind of like it) but if you pause once in a while then it makes the fast/aggressive playing all the better.  If all you do is try to play fast as possible, as loud as possible and use extreme vocals (yuck!!) the message of the lyrics is lost.  The Who were an incredibly loud and energetic band in their prime but they could also let songs breathe and that helped make them great (IMO).  Listen carefully to classic hard rock & Metal groups (Rush, Zeppelin, The Who, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden, Accept, & even Halloween), they had the ability.  The Warning seem to have found this lost (IMO) art.  

Dany does not remind me of Ann Wilson of Heart.  At least not Ann as I saw Heart in either the 80's (3 times) or around 2010 (another 3 times).  Perhaps you have heard something I have missed - guess I will just have to listen some more!!!  I agree she reminds me of Lizzy Hale - not a plus.  Not thrilled with Lizzy Hale.  Dany's vocals are the thing I would say that thrills me the least with the group.  That being said, they write songs that get the most out of them so its not a huge deal (more positive things about their song writing there).  I would also point out that their was a great group who had a lead singer who's vocals could take some getting used to at times.  They also wrote songs that got the most out that singers vocal ability.  The group?  Rush.

I agree with you Dany has it all to be a great front woman.  That being said, in some of the recent shows I almost felt she took over to much and, instead of the show being balanced between the 3 of them, at times I almost felt like it was her and the other 2.  Up to now I had felt that the stage was balanced between the 3 of them - similar to how I always felt Rush was balanced.  This slight unbalancing worries me a bit.  But I will trust them not to let it get to far out of balance (see - down the rabbit hole but willing to question a bit).  Her guitar playing also seems to have slight Randy Rhodes influences iin it (to my ear).

I am with you on Pao - she is just amazing &, as you said, engaging and charismatic.  I also watched their show from Corpus Christi (done totally on the PaoCam).  Great show.  Its very interesting that she mentioned that she likes drumming in her bare feet.  No shoes or socks.  That really impressed me.  From an interview I gather she likes playing that way - could become an interesting trademark for her.  Just imagine a big arena, lights go down, then the big screen shows Pao getting behind the drums and taking her shoes and socks off - crowed knows what is about to start and really goes nuts.  That could become a standard of their show.  Just a crazy thought.

Given Ale's introverted nature I agree with you about her singing lead.  Pitty - she has a good voice.  I also found a show were she sang lead on Dull Knives.  But her bass playing -  wow.  I found a story that Pao figured out that Ale was a musical genius when Ale was 8 years old as Ale was playing Hysteria by Muse at that point.  At first I figured she meant Def Leopard's Hysteria.  But no, it was Muse.  That some complex base work.

I like the Mexico City shows but the show I liked the most was Rock Al Parque.  Thanks for recommending the Troubadour - I will check it out.   Guess that will be my show for the night.

You're certainly in the minority if Dany's voice is what thrills you the least about this band. My comparison to Anne Wilson comes from Dany's vocal power reminding me of how strong Anne's voice used to be. There was nothing for me to get used to with Dany's voice. I really liked it right away. I'm not sure what you're talking about with her taking over on stage? Do you have examples of that? Dany is very passionate and can really get into the show. I'm sure it's not her intention to steal away any spotlight from Pau and Ale. Those two wouldn't care about that either. They both would just think "hell yeah! Go Dany!" 

I do wonder if playing in her socks will bother Pau's feet as time goes on since there's nothing there to protect them. She's only 20, so she might not be thinking about that yet. She did have an issue with her left hip sometimes popping out of socket. But she started doing yoga this summer and I guess it helped to strengthen her muscles and joints. I guess it's not a problem anymore since they've toured so much and we haven't heard anything.

Ale changed her hair color for the first time ever. She has blonde highlights now. Too bad the lighting was so shitty at the GnR show. We couldn't really see too much detail with any of the playing or even make the girls out too well a lot of the time.

Edited by J2112YYZ

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

You're certainly in the minority if Dany's voice is what thrills you the least about this band. My comparison to Anne Wilson comes from Dany's vocal power reminding me of how strong Anne's voice used to be. There was nothing for me to get used to with Dany's voice. I really liked it right away. I'm not sure what you're talking about with her taking over on stage? Do you have examples of that? Dany is very passionate and can really get into the show. I'm sure it's not her intention to steal away any spotlight from Pau and Ale. Those two wouldn't care about that either. They both would just think "hell yeah! Go Dany!" 

I do wonder if playing in her socks will bother Pau's feet as time goes on since there's nothing there to protect them. She's only 20, so she might not be thinking about that yet. She did have an issue with her left hip sometimes popping out of socket. But she started doing yoga this summer and I guess it helped to strengthen her muscles and joints. I guess it's not a problem anymore since they've toured so much and we haven't heard anything.

Ale changed her hair color for the first time ever. She has blonde highlights now. Too bad the lighting was so shitty at the GnR show. We couldn't really see too much detail with any of the playing or even make the girls out too well a lot of the time.

I feel like there are die hard One Direction fans who don’t know as much about the dudes in that group as you know about The Warning.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

19 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I feel like there are die hard One Direction fans who don’t know as much about the dudes in that group as you know about The Warning.

One Direction still exists? The stuff about Pau, she has mentioned on Instagram and Patreon chats. So, it's not like she hasn't made it known. Pretty much anything like that I know because the band has mentioned it. They're pretty up front on a lot of things. They don't share anything about their personal lives but if it's band stuff and other random nonsense, they're pretty open.

5 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

One Direction still exists? The stuff about Pau, she has mentioned on Instagram and Patreon chats. So, it's not like she hasn't made it known. Pretty much anything like that I know because the band has mentioned it. They're pretty up front on a lot of things. They don't share anything about their personal lives but if it's band stuff and other random nonsense, they're pretty open.

Nah, thankfully that group broke up. So now I get to live in a world where theoretically they never get back together for the money (like they’ve probably lightly planned on doing all along).

Well that all makes sense. I just find it entertaining, not creepy or anything.

14 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Nah, thankfully that group broke up. So now I get to live in a world where theoretically they never get back together for the money (like they’ve probably lightly planned on doing all along).

Well that all makes sense. I just find it entertaining, not creepy or anything.

Pau does have one creep fan that we know of. He was banned from the discord server but still posts on the Patreon. He used to call her "my Paulina" and would spam live streams with telling the person to focus on Pau and telling Dany or Ale to move if they came in frame and were blocking her. Which is really stupid to say when watching the band play on a live stream.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Pau does have one creep fan that we know of. He was banned from the discord server but still posts on the Patreon. He used to call her "my Paulina" and would spam live streams with telling the person to focus on Pau and telling Dany or Ale to move if they came in frame and were blocking her. Which is really stupid to say when watching the band play on a live stream.

Yeah creeps are gonna creep, and the internet tends to multiply them. No idea what the solution is but banning them from Discord and such seems like a definite part of it.

10 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yeah creeps are gonna creep, and the internet tends to multiply them. No idea what the solution is but banning them from Discord and such seems like a definite part of it.

He's scaled back on his creepiness though since the fans and the band know about him now. He bought meet and greet tickets for a show earlier this year which includes the watching the band do sound check. The bands manager told the guy to stay back from the stage during it and Rudy (their manager) along with venue security kept a close eye on him the whole time. He cut out the my Paulina stuff and scaled back the creepiness after that. I've never seen a problem with what he posts on Patreon. I think most of his creepy stuff happened before I was a fan. All of this I learned from fans talking about it.

Edited by J2112YYZ

22 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Ahh - thanks for explaining the comparison to Anne Wilson's voice.  From the vocal power direction I see what you are saying.  I was approaching it more for her range.  To my ear Ann had a much greater range.  It will be interesting to see how Danny's voice continues to develop however.  Between 2019 and now its clear she has worked on it a great deal (more credit to the group).  As I mentioned previously, I do feel that her range has improved considerably.  To my ear its still got a long way to go till I could compare to Anne's range.  Then again, you would not want to hear me try to sing.

As for taking over the stage, I agree with you that I don't think the others would mind and that its not an intention to steal the spotlight away from the others.  In fact, I saw an interview in which they said they made a decision to try to move around more so as to bring more energy to the stage.  The best example I can give is to compare "Atypical Fest" or "Rock Al Parque" (both from 2019) to some of the shows on the most recent tour such as the Houston show or the show you mentioned at the Troubadour.  In the 2019 shows I felt as though it was Pao in the middle (going wild on the drums) and the others on the side  - still moving a lot but in their 3rd of the stage.  So everything was sort of balanced.  In the more recent shows I felt as though Dany was moving more to the center of the stage show she had her 3rd plus more and some of the energy that was coming from Pao was blocked out by Danny going wild with a solo - which in the past she would have stayed on her 3rd of the stage to do.   At times she almost crosses into Ale's part of the stage.  So it sort of unbalances the energy flow (to me) on stage.  If you go back to the TED talk you had Danny and Ale standing still on each side of the stage and Pao going wild in the middle.  Then you had a mass of energy in the middle balanced by 2 evenly energetic band members on each side.  I wish I could give more specific examples and explain it better (sigh).  Sorry - I will try to look for someone and get back to you with a more concrete example.

In defense of Danny (note - I am being fair here) things were much, much better in the Mexico City shows.  So perhaps she was just operating in small stages and needs a bigger stage as she keeps developing.  I also watched a few songs from The Warning Cave and if she practiced and stayed on her 3rd of the stage the energy / activity stayed balanced to me.  Will try to find a better example and get back to you on this.

It interesting you mentioned Pau's hip popping out of socket.  I watched something the band posted YouTube where she mentioned her hip being in pain - but I did not know that was the cause.  As for playing in bare feet, she mentioned in the same video that it feels natural for her.  Just as Ale has indicated that playing the bass barehanded feels more natural for her then playing with a pick does.  I recall that the original lead singer of Lynard Skynard used to do concerts barefoot and said it was because he liked to feel the stage on fire (or words to that effect).  But thats wayyy different from drumming.  Time will tell.

Speaking of drumming, the drums off to Pao's right - I think they are called floor tom's (or something like that - remember I don't play any instrument at all).  Is it me or does she get more out of those then just about any drummer out there?  I swear, the last time I heard a dummer use those drums even remotely to the extent she does it was Vinny Appice back on Dio's Holy Diver and Last in Line albums.  Thats a long time ago.  I mentioned a while back that The Warning had found the forgotten art of letting a song breathe.  Seems she has utilized a long forgotten part of the drum set.

I also went back and listened to the newest album again.  Its defiantly growing on me - like Rush albums always do.  Not only did it strike me how good it is (no - I still like QOTMS more) but also I realized that in their concerts I think I have seen them play every song from it.  I know they have played all of XXI Century Blood and QOTMS live.  So they are righting all their songs so they can play them live - and have played them live.  That is impressive.  Not even Rush could say that about their first 3 albums.  For example, I don't think Rivendell was ever played live (note - I like Rivendell and think it fits perfectly where it is on FBN which would worse off without it).

I agree with the lighting at the GnR show.  Then again it might just have been how GnR treated them.  I don't think GnR has always treated opening acts well - maybe because they originally opened for Arowsmith who treated their opening acts (like Rush) in a less then generous manner. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Great interview with Dany.

Very Interesting questions - not the normal  / routine questions that are too often asked.  Well answered.  Great interview.  I saw another interview where they mentioned that the spend a lot of time reading - esp, when on the road.  Sounds a little bit like Neil - and we know where that lead to (years and years and albums and albums of great music).  Her speaking voice is not like her singing voice (IMO).  She mentions the 2 songs in spanish.  Not that I speak Spanish, but it would be interesting to hear them do more in Spanish.  Those 2 are 2 of my top 7 or 8 songs.  MMartio has a bit of a Moorish vibe to me - the more I listen to it the more I like it.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Ahh - thanks for explaining the comparison to Anne Wilson's voice.  From the vocal power direction I see what you are saying.  I was approaching it more for her range.  To my ear Ann had a much greater range.  It will be interesting to see how Danny's voice continues to develop however.  Between 2019 and now its clear she has worked on it a great deal (more credit to the group).  As I mentioned previously, I do feel that her range has improved considerably.  To my ear its still got a long way to go till I could compare to Anne's range.  Then again, you would not want to hear me try to sing.

As for taking over the stage, I agree with you that I don't think the others would mind and that its not an intention to steal the spotlight away from the others.  In fact, I saw an interview in which they said they made a decision to try to move around more so as to bring more energy to the stage.  The best example I can give is to compare "Atypical Fest" or "Rock Al Parque" (both from 2019) to some of the shows on the most recent tour such as the Houston show or the show you mentioned at the Troubadour.  In the 2019 shows I felt as though it was Pao in the middle (going wild on the drums) and the others on the side  - still moving a lot but in their 3rd of the stage.  So everything was sort of balanced.  In the more recent shows I felt as though Dany was moving more to the center of the stage show she had her 3rd plus more and some of the energy that was coming from Pao was blocked out by Danny going wild with a solo - which in the past she would have stayed on her 3rd of the stage to do.   At times she almost crosses into Ale's part of the stage.  So it sort of unbalances the energy flow (to me) on stage.  If you go back to the TED talk you had Danny and Ale standing still on each side of the stage and Pao going wild in the middle.  Then you had a mass of energy in the middle balanced by 2 evenly energetic band members on each side.  I wish I could give more specific examples and explain it better (sigh).  Sorry - I will try to look for someone and get back to you with a more concrete example.

In defense of Danny (note - I am being fair here) things were much, much better in the Mexico City shows.  So perhaps she was just operating in small stages and needs a bigger stage as she keeps developing.  I also watched a few songs from The Warning Cave and if she practiced and stayed on her 3rd of the stage the energy / activity stayed balanced to me.  Will try to find a better example and get back to you on this.

It interesting you mentioned Pau's hip popping out of socket.  I watched something the band posted YouTube where she mentioned her hip being in pain - but I did not know that was the cause.  As for playing in bare feet, she mentioned in the same video that it feels natural for her.  Just as Ale has indicated that playing the bass barehanded feels more natural for her then playing with a pick does.  I recall that the original lead singer of Lynard Skynard used to do concerts barefoot and said it was because he liked to feel the stage on fire (or words to that effect).  But thats wayyy different from drumming.  Time will tell.

Speaking of drumming, the drums off to Pao's right - I think they are called floor tom's (or something like that - remember I don't play any instrument at all).  Is it me or does she get more out of those then just about any drummer out there?  I swear, the last time I heard a dummer use those drums even remotely to the extent she does it was Vinny Appice back on Dio's Holy Diver and Last in Line albums.  Thats a long time ago.  I mentioned a while back that The Warning had found the forgotten art of letting a song breathe.  Seems she has utilized a long forgotten part of the drum set.

I also went back and listened to the newest album again.  Its defiantly growing on me - like Rush albums always do.  Not only did it strike me how good it is (no - I still like QOTMS more) but also I realized that in their concerts I think I have seen them play every song from it.  I know they have played all of XXI Century Blood and QOTMS live.  So they are righting all their songs so they can play them live - and have played them live.  That is impressive.  Not even Rush could say that about their first 3 albums.  For example, I don't think Rivendell was ever played live (note - I like Rivendell and think it fits perfectly where it is on FBN which would worse off without it).

I agree with the lighting at the GnR show.  Then again it might just have been how GnR treated them.  I don't think GnR has always treated opening acts well - maybe because they originally opened for Arowsmith who treated their opening acts (like Rush) in a less then generous manner. 

What you're saying about Dany on stage she has been doing since they started touring this year. Pau can only do so much sitting behind the kit to engage the crowd and Ale isn't the type to motion to the crowd to make noise and get them hype. So, all of that falls on Dany. She is the front woman and just like any other front person in music, it's their job to work the stage and engage the crowd. She isn't doing anything that any other front person hasn't done before. She is growing as a front woman and getting more comfortable with what she has to do on stage. That's why there's such a difference between what she used to do and what she does now. I don't think the energy balance in their shows has been affected at all. In fact, they are much better performers now than they've ever been.

Yes, Pau gets more out of the tom-toms than anyone. It goes back to the Enter Sandman cover they did when they first started. She learned how to use them because of that and kept those as part of her main sound.

I'm not sure if the GNR show was a case of them treating The Warning badly. It may have been more of the venue and GNRs people probably not being that accommodating to them. They were just a one off local opener and probably didn't get the best treatment from the venue. Also, I'm sure the band didn't want to upset anyone and weren't familiar with who to talk to when it came to what they wanted with the lighting or the stage show. The whole thing looks like it was run badly overall. They opened the doors before The Warning had done sound check. So, they ended up doing it while fans were already in the venue. The lights during their show looks like whoever was in charge of it just set some colors and didn't do anything the rest of the show. It sounds like things were a bit of a mess at the venue. I don't think GNR is specifically to blame. I know the band was thrilled to have the opportunity to open for them even if everything didn't run smoothly from what I can tell.

56 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Very Interesting questions - not the normal  / routine questions that are too often asked.  Well answered.  Great interview.  I saw another interview where they mentioned that the spend a lot of time reading - esp, when on the road.  Sounds a little bit like Neil - and we know where that lead to (years and years and albums and albums of great music).  Her speaking voice is not like her singing voice (IMO).  She mentions the 2 songs in spanish.  Not that I speak Spanish, but it would be interesting to hear them do more in Spanish.  Those 2 are 2 of my top 7 or 8 songs.  MMartio has a bit of a Moorish vibe to me - the more I listen to it the more I like it.  

Yes, great questions asked. It's always good to see interviews with people who are fans of the band and have good things to ask. Dany's answers were great as well. I could have listened to her talk about stuff like this for another two hours. I know they all read a lot and are big time nerds. Especially Dany. From what I have heard when they write a song, she is the one who analyzes every note and lyric to make sure everything is perfectly in place. She is very detailed oriented. All three are that but Dany seems to be the one that really goes through everything in very deep detail. 

Pao teaching a class on drumming and how the band plays and a lot of other things related to the band.  She gets asked a few questions that overlap with what Ale was asked - the overlap and differences are interesting.  A lot of things in the class that I don't understand.  Perhaps those who have greater musical knowledge then I have will understand.  For example, she talks a great deal about click tracks.  I will confess my ignorance and admit I don't have the faintest idea what they are.  Its in Spanish but click on the close captioning for English subtitles.

I believe a click track is something that plays in a musicians in ear monitor that helps them to stay on time properly during the song. You know how before a song is played live we used to always hear the drummer hit the hi-hat a few times before a song would start? They are counting off the tempo of the song before the song starts. With click tracks the drummer doesn't need to do that because that tells the tempo of the song. I'm not a musician though so I can be way off here. I'm just going by stuff I've heard and read about click tracks.