Roll The Bones (1991): Songs Elimination (Round 5)

_hi_water._

22 members have voted

1. 1. Immune:

• Dreamline
    • Bravado
    • Roll The Bones
    • Where's My Thing?
    • The Big Wheel
    • Ghost Of A Chance
  2. 2. Eliminate:

• Dreamline
    • Bravado
    • Roll The Bones
    • Where's My Thing?
    • The Big Wheel
    • Ghost Of A Chance

In keeping with Mr. Anderson's derailing of this thread, here's my Tull.

I've excised Living in the Past as it wasn't a proper studio album- although it would rank high if I included it. I also excised the Christmas album because, at least to me, it doesn't fit.

Many of these could shift readily, but number one is mostly fixed. Number 20 is permanently fixed. At least with 'A' I found my way to liking a few tracks. Under Wraps is abysmal.

1. Heavy Horses

2. Songs From The Wood

3. Aqualung

4. Thick As A Brick

5. War Child

6. Stand Up

7. Minstrel in the Gallery

8. Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die

9. Catfish Rising

10. Crest of a Knave

11. Stormwatch

12. Benefit

13. Roots to Branches

14. Rock Island

15. This Was

16. Passion Play

17. Broadsword and the Beast

18. J-Tull.com

19. A

20. Under Wraps

Well I can't agree with this list!

I'd be surprised if anyone did!

Except for Under Wraps. I can't see how anyone would like that album. I like or even love something about all the others.

• Like 2

I've excised Living in the Past as it wasn't a proper studio album- although it would rank high if I included it. I also excised the Christmas album because, at least to me, it doesn't fit.

Many of these could shift readily, but number one is mostly fixed. Number 20 is permanently fixed. At least with 'A' I found my way to liking a few tracks. Under Wraps is abysmal.

1. Heavy Horses

2. Songs From The Wood

3. Aqualung

4. Thick As A Brick

5. War Child

6. Stand Up

9. Catfish Rising

10. Crest of a Knave

11. Stormwatch

12. Benefit

13. Roots to Branches

14. Rock Island

15. This Was

16. Passion Play

18. J-Tull.com

19. A

20. Under Wraps

Except for Under Wraps. I can't see how anyone would like that album. I like or even love something about all the others.

For me Under Wraps was a watershed Tull album. Without a doubt it is pretty terrible. But perhaps more importantly, the resulting tour finally done for Anderson's voice.

It was never the same after that and I think this impacted on all subsequent releases. In my view the musical style was changed to suit his now limited vocal delivery.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

1. Heavy Horses

2. Songs From The Wood

3. Aqualung

4. Thick As A Brick

5. War Child

6. Stand Up

9. Catfish Rising

10. Crest of a Knave

11. Stormwatch

12. Benefit

13. Roots to Branches

14. Rock Island

15. This Was

16. Passion Play

18. J-Tull.com

19. A

20. Under Wraps

For me Under Wraps was a watershed Tull album. Without a doubt it is pretty terrible. But perhaps more importantly, the resulting tour finally done for Anderson's voice.

It was never the same after that and I think this impacted on all subsequent releases. In my view the musical style was changed to suit his now limited vocal delivery.

They started to sound a little bit more like Dire Straits for some reason.

• Like 1

1. Heavy Horses

2. Songs From The Wood

3. Aqualung

4. Thick As A Brick

5. War Child

6. Stand Up

9. Catfish Rising

10. Crest of a Knave

11. Stormwatch

12. Benefit

13. Roots to Branches

14. Rock Island

15. This Was

16. Passion Play

18. J-Tull.com

19. A

20. Under Wraps

Yip, you are spot on.
  • Like 1

Do you think Ian A got a synth for his Birthday and then decided he'd make an album based around it for Under Wraps? I much prefer the No. 2 Under Wraps song done with acoustic guitar (if my memory serves me right).
  • Like 1

Do you think Ian A got a synth for his Birthday and then decided he'd make an album based around it for Under Wraps? I much prefer the No. 2 Under Wraps song done with acoustic guitar (if my memory serves me right).

Yeah, that song was on the 20th Anniversary box set, and I always liked it. Listening the actual album that came from those sessions was less joyous. I'm surprised there's so little love for Broadsword and the Beast; I've always rated that one, too. Maybe not top five, but top half.

Yeah, that song was on the 20th Anniversary box set, and I always liked it. Listening the actual album that came from those sessions was less joyous. I'm surprised there's so little love for Broadsword and the Beast; I've always rated that one, too. Maybe not top five, but top half.

I really like Broadsword. But I like Jethro Tull and some albums had to be lower. Aside from A and Under Wraps, all the albums are good.And A is...ok.

• Like 1

I really like Broadsword. But I like Jethro Tull and some albums had to be lower. Aside from A and Under Wraps, all the albums are good.And A is...ok.

Broadsword was my 1st album introduction to Tull and I still love it. I'd only heard things like Living in the Past as far as I knew by then.

I have a box set with 4 discs of various songs (20th Anniv box??) but I've only got a handful of albums - Crest of a Knave, Aqualung, Minstrel, Thick as a Brick, Songs from the Wood and A passion play.

Maybe a couple of other new ones on tape that I haven't listened too.

So without having heard the whole discography like some of you guys, I still enjoy Broadsword alongside ones like Thick and Aqua etc. All good although Passion plays a bit weird.

Edited by Malignant Narcissist
  • Like 2

1. Heavy Horses

2. Songs From The Wood

3. Aqualung

4. Thick As A Brick

5. War Child

6. Stand Up

9. Catfish Rising

10. Crest of a Knave

11. Stormwatch

12. Benefit

13. Roots to Branches

14. Rock Island

15. This Was

16. Passion Play

18. J-Tull.com

19. A

20. Under Wraps

Yip, you are spot on.

I wonder why that was?

• Like 1