Signals (1982): Songs Elimination (Round 3)

_hi_water._

20 members have voted

1. 1. Immune:

2. 2. Eliminate:

• Subdivisions
    • The Analog Kid
    • Digital Man
    • The Weapon
    • New World Man
    • Losing It

I like Countdown but I can understand that some (many?) and maybe Rush themselves think/thought it was a bit too simple...or corny maybe?

But I don't understand placing Losing it behind most of the songs on this album because, to me, it's a beautiful and unusual (for Rush) piece. Especially with the violin solo offering something different. It's top 4 for me.

But each to his own and all that.

It's like the Tears of Signals.

I like Countdown but I can understand that some (many?) and maybe Rush themselves think/thought it was a bit too simple...or corny maybe?

But I don't understand placing Losing it behind most of the songs on this album because, to me, it's a beautiful and unusual (for Rush) piece. Especially with the violin solo offering something different. It's top 4 for me.

It`s the lyrics that I don`t like. I associate lines like "the air`s so thick, you can cut it with a knife" with Sammy Hagar, not the mighty Neil.

Since some of us did a personal preference of "Permanent Waves", and a couple have done it for "Signals", I'll do it for "Moving Pictures", and this one.

"Moving Pictures"

the Camera Eye

Vital Signs

Yyz

(Tie) Witch Hunt (Part III of "Fear")

Red Barchetta

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

"Signals"

Countdown

Digital Man

Subdivisions

the Weapon (Part II of "Fear")

(Tie) Chemistry

Losing It

the Analog Kid

New World Man

It`s the lyrics that I don`t like. I associate lines like "the air`s so thick, you can cut it with a knife" with Sammy Hagar, not the mighty Neil.

"Sleeping white dragon" is beyond cringey.

I'm never that bothered about lyrics, if I like the music the lyrics rarely matter to me.

• Like 2

I'm never that bothered about lyrics, if I like the music the lyrics rarely matter to me.

As you know, I get really turned off by what I consider bad lyrics - has me heading off straight into the guitar instrumentalists section.

That is my situation too but I think with Rush the case is that many either love Rush because of the lyrics Neil has provided or find the lyrics give them that little bit 'extra' over other bands. And when that standard is not adhered to consistently, they notice it.

Strangely, I only notice 'bad' or unsatisfactory lyrics when I'm playing CDs/music I like to others, and then I cringe, but if I play it for my own enjoyment, then I don't notice or focus on it.

• Like 2