The Ultimate Music Recommendation Thread

Entre_Perpetuo

Stoner Rock

I've been a fan of Kyuss and their many offspring bands ( except QOTSA ): Slo Burn, Unida, Hermano, etc.

One of my favorite albums from Kyuss is Welcome to Sky Valley

Mad Season

If you're a fan of Layne Staley, a dark album from a side project he did with members of Pearl Jam and Screaming Tree called Above.

Here is the band covering a John Lennon tune

Mad Season

If you're a fan of Layne Staley, a dark album from a side project he did with members of Pearl Jam and Screaming Tree called Above.

http://youtu.be/egkmYMXw488

They did a one off "reunion" show a couple of years ago in Seattle of course without Layne sadly.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-live-reviews/mad-season-temple-of-the-dog-reunite-at-overwhelming-one-off-show-93767/

• Like 2

Mad Season

They did a one off "reunion" show a couple of years ago in Seattle of course without Layne sadly.

https://www.rollings...off-show-93767/

Wow, is the audio of that available anywhere?

Ah!!! ... This seems like an interesting thread!

In my endless quest to listen to new stuff I shall throw something out to the forum to see what feedback I can get.

So, I want some stuff by bands I have either ignored or just didn't encounter over the years.

I am going to pick a common theme - They are to be Canadian in origin ....... hopefully that will resonate with some of you.

I have picked three bands which seem to have been around a while but I just have not listened to ....

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

What I am looking for is ..... (yeah, I know, I'm not looking for much lol!) .... An indication of their style, recommended best albums to start with, and albums to avoid.

Or.... are there other bands out there you would suggest as alternatives .... I am familiar with the likes of Saga, Triumph, April Wine and any of the big-hitters internationally.

If I can get a few album suggestions, they will go on to the beer-fueled weekend jukebox for my critical appraisal!!!

Strapping young lad! It is ferocious.

Led by hevy devy aka Devin townsend.

I am not really a fan but devin is an incredible vocalist and his solo stuff is cool. Good guitar player too.

Devin sang natural science on the rush tribute disc , working man.

I forgot he was Canadian! I have only one album from him, Transcendence, but the name speaks for itself.

He`s all over the early Steve Vai record, Sex and Religion, too.

Yes! That was my first exposure to devin. And is probably my favorite thing devin has done and one of Steve's better records imo.

Probably because it was more of a band than his solo records. Iirc Vai was steve, Devin, Terry bozzio and shaka Zulu?

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

In my endless quest to listen to new stuff I shall throw something out to the forum to see what feedback I can get.

So, I want some stuff by bands I have either ignored or just didn't encounter over the years.

I am going to pick a common theme - They are to be Canadian in origin ....... hopefully that will resonate with some of you.

I have picked three bands which seem to have been around a while but I just have not listened to ....

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

What I am looking for is ..... (yeah, I know, I'm not looking for much lol!) .... An indication of their style, recommended best albums to start with, and albums to avoid.

Or.... are there other bands out there you would suggest as alternatives .... I am familiar with the likes of Saga, Triumph, April Wine and any of the big-hitters internationally.

If I can get a few album suggestions, they will go on to the beer-fueled weekend jukebox for my critical appraisal!!!

arcade fire occupy that sort of no-balls coffee shop end of the "indie rock" spectrum. pass, dude

granted, I enjoy the 80s/90s "indie" stuff that's more rooted in punk rock and 60s/early 70s rock. somewhere around 1995 things get a bit too friendly and guitar solos are no longer en vogue

• Like 1

Mad Season

No idea my friend. Check all the usual sources would be my advice.

• Like 1

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

arcade fire occupy that sort of no-balls coffee shop end of the "indie rock" spectrum. pass, dude

granted, I enjoy the 80s/90s "indie" stuff that's more rooted in punk rock and 60s/early 70s rock. somewhere around 1995 things get a bit too friendly and guitar solos are no longer en vogue

Not a fan but I like a few tunes by the crash test dummies. Although they probably fall into the no balls coffee shop category

• Like 1

my taste is a bit sophisticated for this crowd but I implore you all to give another listen to 1979's dynasty, by the killer clowns of rock themselves. often derided as the disco excursion that sent KISS off the rails on a lazy train, listening closely reveals a band exercising consummate professionalism and power pop delight, truly grace under pressure while not sacrificing the new york glam rock edge.

it is ironic that dynasty was chosen as the title, for the actual KISS empire was slowly unraveling behind the scenes, giving recordings like "hard times" a sense of urgency and striking self-awareness, or obliviousness depending on the listener - ace frehley serves as a metaphorical joker and a master of chaos. as they say, all art is inherently autobiographical, but freud would say the artist is often not aware. it adds to the complexity that frehley has gone on the record in interviews as a proud freudian, so perhaps he knows the tools of the trade.

despite frehley's deterioration on record providing the most hard-hitting tracks, paul stanley is no slouch. often speculated as a closeted homosexual, it has been argued in KISS circles that this repression gave stanley an edge in the hooks department. songs like "sure know something" are up there with the finest showtunes or the gayest disco, albeit with just enough jagger swagger and cheap trick/raspberries edge with which to market it to teenage boys full of hormones.

some rock scholars have argued dynasty is the gaucho of the KISS saga. a hazy statement to interpret, as layered and as flawed as the albums themselves, but perhaps that is why it feels so right.

• Like 1

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

I am not really a fan but devin is an incredible vocalist and his solo stuff is cool. Good guitar player too.

I forgot he was Canadian! I have only one album from him, Transcendence, but the name speaks for itself.

Yes! That was my first exposure to devin. And is probably my favorite thing devin has done and one of Steve's better records imo.

Probably because it was more of a band than his solo records. Iirc Vai was steve, Devin, Terry bozzio and shaka Zulu?

Yes, that`s the band more or less. I admit that it felt surprisingly safe to me after Passion and Warfare which I bought day of release. I prefer The Ultra Zone, Real Illusions, The Story of Light when Steve trusts his voice - it`s good enough :guitar:

Mad Season

No idea my friend. Check all the usual sources would be my advice.

Yes. I know there is an LP called Live at the Moore. I think there was a deluxe release of their album ABOVE that contained CD's of this show.

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

Yes, that`s the band more or less. I admit that it felt surprisingly safe to me after Passion and Warfare which I bought day of release. I prefer The Ultra Zone, Real Illusions, The Story of Light when Steve trusts his voice - it`s good enough :guitar:

Yeah, he actually reminds me of David Lee Roth. Disc 2 of fire garden is him singing

I prefer disc 1 of fire garden with the fire guardian suite as one of his best songs ever.

Seen him twice. And have been a fan since flexible.

His disc with the orchestra kills it. Usually I dislike rock and orchestra combo but his is way superior imo. Disc 2 in particular

• Like 1

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

Yeah, he actually reminds me of David Lee Roth. Disc 2 of fire garden is him singing

I prefer disc 1 of fire garden with the fire guardian suite as one of his best songs ever.

His disc with the orchestra kills it. Usually I dislike rock and orchestra combo but his is way superior imo. Disc 2 in particular

Hell, I even bought Piano Reductions Vol. 2 with Miho Arai! A whole CD of this actually is kinda dull though.
  • Like 1

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

Hell, I even bought Piano Reductions Vol. 2 with Miho Arai! A whole CD of this actually is kinda dull though.

I gave up / ran out of money after real illusions. I bet those piano reductions are great. I think mike keneally did the first?

MK is another great talent. Have heard some of his solo stuff and beer for dolphins

• Like 1

The Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Arcade Fire

I gave up / ran out of money after real illusions. I bet those piano reductions are great. I think mike keneally did the first?

MK is another great talent. Have heard some of his solo stuff and beer for dolphins

I haven`t got the MK Vai piano record - I imagine it might be better than Miho - but I`ve heard him with Satch a few times and he`s a great addition, adds another dimension for sure, on tracks like this, don`t know if you know it (or care for it) -

• Like 1