6 CD changer and a 14-hour drive...

Rutlefan

So I'll be driving a car from deep in the Midwest to Maryland (after flying out to pick it up). No tech except a 6 CD changer in the trunk, not counting the in-dash cassette player and radio. Fourteen hour drive so I'm estimating 18-20 discs. What would your lineups be? This is what I'm planning. It's a metallic black V8 sedan from the '90s so that colors my choices. If it were a '60s convertible or an '80s coup, it would be different, but this is a big, black car and I want groups with some heft.

1st line, all Rush (I'm baptizing it as a Rush car): 2112 through MP with ESL and Signals backing up to complete the (to me) essential run.

2nd line: Wish You Were Here, The Beatles (2 discs), Abbey Road, Physical Graffiti (2 discs)

3rd line. Still up in the air. Likely, either all The Church (Priest=Aura, Hologram of Baal, After Everything Now This, Back with Two Beasts, Forget Yourself, Further/Deeper) or all Radiohead (The Bends b-sides, OK Computer, OK Computer b-sides, Kid A, Amnesiac, and HTTT), or I could do another various artists, which might be Echo and the Bunnymen's Porcupine, London Calling, Sandanista! (2 discs), Psychedelic Furs (debut), and Big Country's The Crossing. I think I'm leaning towards a second various lineup.

None of these lineups has anything to do with matching the era of the car to the era of music. If that is something I consider, I'd go with Pixies' Tromp Le Monde, My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, REM's Automatic for the People, U2's Achtung Baby, Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque, and Nirvana's Nevermind for the 3rd line.

Quite the impressive list. When I travel I listen to instrumentals as well. Love Jean Luc-Ponty, so good for getting in a groove makes the miles go by.
  • Like 3

So I'll be driving a car from deep in the Midwest to Maryland (after flying out to pick it up). No tech except a 6 CD changer in the trunk, not counting the in-dash cassette player and radio. Fourteen hour drive so I'm estimating 18-20 discs. What would your lineups be? This is what I'm planning. It's a metallic black V8 sedan from the '90s so that colors my choices. If it were a '60s convertible or an '80s coup, it would be different, but this is a big, black car and I want groups with some heft.

1st line, all Rush (I'm baptizing it as a Rush car): 2112 through MP with ESL and Signals backing up to complete the (to me) essential run.

2nd line: Wish You Were Here, The Beatles (2 discs), Abbey Road, Physical Graffiti (2 discs)

3rd line. Still up in the air. Likely, either all The Church (Priest=Aura, Hologram of Baal, After Everything Now This, Back with Two Beasts, Forget Yourself, Further/Deeper) or all Radiohead (The Bends b-sides, OK Computer, OK Computer b-sides, Kid A, Amnesiac, and HTTT), or I could do another various artists, which might be Echo and the Bunnymen's Porcupine, London Calling, Sandanista! (2 discs), Psychedelic Furs (debut), and Big Country's The Crossing. I think I'm leaning towards a second various lineup.

None of these lineups has anything to do with matching the era of the car to the era of music. If that is something I consider, I'd go with Pixies' Tromp Le Monde, My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, REM's Automatic for the People, U2's Achtung Baby, Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque, and Nirvana's Nevermind for the 3rd line.

Is the car something you bought for yourself? Put up some photos when you pick it up!

• Like 1

Hmmm, road tripping music- the choices are as wide open as the road itself. And I get what you’re saying about music with some heft, but over a 14-hour road trip, with music filling up all that time, I would need to have a good deal of variety.

To follow your lead, 1st line 2nd line 3rd line...

1st:

Black Crowes- Three Snakes and One Charm

Rush- Hemispheres

Horace Silver- Blowin’ the Blues Away

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia

Joni Mitchell- Hejira

Allman Brothers Band- Eat a Peach

2nd:

Guided By Voices- Motivational Jumpsuit

Stevie Ray Vaughan- Live at the El Mocambo

Steely Dan- Aja

Chris Robinson and the New Earth Mud- This Magnificent Distance

Grateful Dead- Wake of the Flood

Jimmy Buffett- Son of a Son of a Sailor

3rd:

Mandolin Orange- Haste Make/Hard-Hearted Stranger

Chicago Transit Authority- S/T (2CD)

Van Morrison- His Band and the Street Choir

Tedeschi Trucks Band- Let Me Get By

Rush- Moving Pictures

That’s a fun little exercise...my choices could be markedly different tomorrow. And the next day, and the next after that.

• Like 2