Backing tracks, sequencers and lip synching on live shows.

Thunder Bay Rush

I remember when the Rush sound started getting bigger that there was talk of adding another member to the band(Andy Richards?).For me that would have just upset the chemistry of the band.I was proud of the fact they triggered all the sounds by a toenail on a pedal or a tap of a cowbell.I disliked it intensely when Pink Floyd added about fifty people onstage.However they should have made Geddy limpsync for the R40 DVD.Also they should have dragged Aimee Mann along for every performance of Time Stand Still

Tears is one hundred percent mellotron, used for the string sounds and woodwind parts. It used looped tapes of the actual instruments to recreate the sound. A very primitive sample of you like!

Bootruss, if you thought of this, you could've "Edit" that to your previous post. It would be one.

• Like 1

I haven't liked artists, bands, and groups lip sync. I think it's the wrong thing of having to do. With Rush, and not doing any pedal triggering, and adding sequencers, and or whatever else, I haven't ever had a problem, and issue, and there shouldn't be one. The problems, and issues are lip syncing.

I remember when the Rush sound started getting bigger that there was talk of adding another member to the band(Andy Richards?).For me that would have just upset the chemistry of the band.I was proud of the fact they triggered all the sounds by a toenail on a pedal or a tap of a cowbell.I disliked it intensely when Pink Floyd added about fifty people onstage.However they should have made Geddy limpsync for the R40 DVD.Also they should have dragged Aimee Mann along for every performance of Time Stand Still

I didn't care for the live string section on the CA tour. Seemed unnecessary and gimmicky for Rush out of all bands.

• Like 1

I think that if a show is a live show, there should be NO sounds taped in.

So you'd be OK if 2112 started out without the whoosh? No "By-Tor" growls during the instrumental section?

Good point... I guess if there are parts that can only be heard if they're sampled in, like the opening of 2112, then fine. But, that's the opening to a song. For By Tor, do one of the guys trigger those sounds with Taurus pedals? If so, that's okay because they are just sounds ... even noises.

I'm not sure about more recent years. Back in the day, it was a tape loop that someone off-stage triggered.

But, why would it be so hard for Geddy to actually play the opening of 2112?

Because that intro is a composite of several synth tracks.

We use some backing keyboard tracks for some songs in my bands. I dont have a problem with it for that kind of stuff and I dont like having 20 people onstage to recreate it. Ive been playing off and on with a Rush tribute and its hard enough to play bass and keys and trigger stuff let alone sing lead on top of that.