Gatekeeping in the metal and rock community.

fraroc

"Gatekeeping" is just resistance to cultural appropriation.

If members of a subculture are dissatisfied with the way newcomers to that subculture push its evolution, they are right to advocate against it. I'm getting tired of seeing everything unique get cheapened and milked to serve the lowest common denominator. I think we should all be so insistent about preserving our art and our cultures in the face of the devaluation that comes with popularity.

It's a well made point. Musicians are in the business of selling songs, and there are many compromises made in search of fortune. Fortunately pure art still exists and we can still choose what we listen to.

I like an empty pop tune now and again. To just enjoy the mindless lyrics and pretty harmony is fine. It can't all be Hemispheres non stop.

• Like 1

RUSH was accused of sounding too much like LZ on their first album, and they readily admitted the imfluence and still do. Hell the whole British invasion was copying blues standards, particularly LZ.

The bottom line is do you like the music? If so then don't be so damn anal about it.

I was about the post the same thing (until you stole my thoughts :codger: ).

Good music transcends genre and generational tastes. Period.

You would hope that as time moves along an established genre has a baseline standard for the music being created. Artfulness, musicality, originality, whatever you want to call it. But even with a 'standard,' you have to account for subjective tastes swinging.

Steven Wilson is an example of someone who pushes the boundaries of the genre he's most associated. Prog gatekeepers hate him, from what I can tell. But his music is still often/mostly/generally prog, despite the hate. It only serves to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the haters.

Steven Wilson is an example of someone who pushes the boundaries of the genre he's most associated. Prog gatekeepers hate him, from what I can tell. But his music is still often/mostly/generally prog, despite the hate. It only serves to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the haters.

I kinda feel the same way about Devin Townsend. Not a lot of people in the metal world take him seriously, but one cant deny he is very talented.

• Like 1

I kinda feel the same way about Devin Townsend. Not a lot of people in the metal world take him seriously, but one cant deny he is very talented.

Who are these people who don't take him seriously? I'm not a fan but I never got the perception that he's seen as a joke or anything. I generally see pretty high praise for his work.

• Like 2

He is taken very seriously, he just doesn't create music for the mainstream and doesn't intend too either.

• Like 1

Who are these people who don't take him seriously? I'm not a fan but I never got the perception that he's seen as a joke or anything. I generally see pretty high praise for his work.

His work with Strapping Young Lad alone made him a metal icon and legend in the 2000s. He is just such a diverse artist, it's hard for any single fan to love all his projects, which is why I think casual listeners like Fraroc may be inclined to think he's not respected.

He is taken very seriously, he just doesn't create music for the mainstream and doesn't intend too either.

I think that's what fraroc was saying. I own a few heavy devy albums (and strapping young lad) and they don't get played much. I'm in that group you described -- "He is just such a diverse artist, it's hard for any single fan to love all his projects, which is why I think casual listeners like Fraroc may be inclined to think he's not respected"

There's so much music, limited hours in the day to enjoy it. Choices must be made.

Edited by stoopid