GODS OF THE ELECTRIC GUITAR Mega Poll - Round Two - SEMI FINALS

Lucas

Gods Of The Electric Guitar SEMI FINALS  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Group One - Choose THREE From This Group

2. 2. Group Two - Choose THREE From This Group

3. 3. Group Three - Choose THREE From This Group

I mentioned this to Duck .. As much as I love so many of the guitarists headed to the finals - esp Eddie, SRV, Hendrix, Alex, Randy .... If Howe makes it to that final 9, I will have a really difficult time voting against him ..

Maybe it is just that when listening to and thinking of Yes, there is just so much good stuff going on ... but when I really think about Steve Howe the guitarist - the individual member - it dawns on me just how good he is ..

• Like 1

I mentioned this to Duck .. As much as I love so many of the guitarists headed to the finals - esp Eddie, SRV, Hendrix, Alex, Randy .... If Howe makes it to that final 9, I will have a really difficult time voting against him ..

Maybe it is just that when listening to and thinking of Yes, there is just so much good stuff going on ... but when I really think about Steve Howe the guitarist - the individual member - it dawns on me just how good he is ..

There's a reason Yes' first certified classic was the first one with Howe. Not to mention his work on CTTE a couple albums later is quite literally out of this world. I honestly don't comprehend how he approaches the instrument, only that his work is genius.

• Like 1

Howe is pretty amazing, no doubt.
  • Like 2

I'd rather Alex Lifeson not be in the poll, as this is a RUSH forum.

That would be like leaving Woody Allen out of an actor's poll !!!!!!!!

Don't be BANANAS! This ain't a Woody Allen forum big guy!!!!

woody_allen.jpg

• Like 1

Steve Howe loses so much favor once you limit him to electric guitar - most of his best stuff is on the acoustic.

Voted:

1) Berry, Beck, Holdsworth

2) May, Fripp, Zappa

3) Hendrix, Lifeson, Page

I can understand what you are saying about Howe because his acoustic playing is just so incredible, but I don't think he is any slouch on the electric ..

South Side Of The Sky, even with the cleaner hollowbodied tone, is fantastic, and heavy ... Starship Trooper, Machine Messiah and one of my favorites from his Steve Howe album, Cactus Boogie

There is some definite Les Paul influence here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2hwkb_zK8k

My favorite Howe is on South Side Of The Sky. Heavy as heck.

Agreed, most underrated Yes song ever. Even as myself not being a fan of vocals, that middle interlude is heaven. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 3

Of the ones that appear to be moving on, the ones I disagree most with are Iommi, May and Gilmour. Certainly not slouches, but they just seem to be locked into their band's sound and didn't really venture beyond that.

Another write-in candidate along with Buckethead: Kim Thayil.

Edited by HemiBeers

This says a lot

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OjPARJyFT38/T9riXlQk3lI/AAAAAAAAANc/0Sdm3avtWE4/s1600/Jimi-Hendrix-and-The-Who-with-a-1960s-Rickenbacker.jpg

Whenever I see pics of Jimi like this - where he looks so young - I am reminded of the impact he made in such a short time .. 27 years old when he died ...

• Like 2

Of the ones that appear to be moving on, the ones I disagree most with are Iommi, May and Gilmour. Certainly not slouches, but they just seem to be locked into their band's sound and didn't really venture beyond that.

Buckethead was one of the last casualties .. I did have Kim Thayil written down on the original master list .. But here are some of the other that would have been a head of him, that deserve to be mentioned ( that have not already )

- Robin Trower

- Neil Geraldo

- Elliot Easton

- Larry Carlton

- Jerry Donahue

- John Schofield

- George Benson

- Mike Stern

- Harry Cody

The list goes on and on ... At first, I thought "wow, a hundred and twenty names, there will probably be some filler in there", but as I started counting the all names, I realized that this was definitely NOT the case

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

.. and I'll mention this here and now

In the event of a tie in the semi final round, BOTH or all of those who are deadlocked will advance

The next round will be the FINAL ROUND, and if, for example, Gilmour and Page end up in a tie, both guys will move on

Imo, Queen's "sound" was more varied and diverse than EVH's career. Eddie may have been a genius, but he could also be a bit of a one-trick pony. May never limited himself to one approach. Compare his funky comping in Another One Bites The Dust with his arpeggios in Under Pressure, neither being his brightest moment, but both revealing other sides of his playing. There's also a world of difference between his solos in Brighton Rock and Bohemian Rhapsody for example. And that's not even to bring up Good Company...

Also not to include Gilmore would be sacrilege, though I do agree there are many other guitarists who deserve to be in the finals if Iommi makes it. Townshend definitely comes to mind...

• Like 3

Imo, Queen's "sound" was more varied and diverse than EVH's career. Eddie may have been a genius, but he could also be a bit of a one-trick pony. May never limited himself to one approach. Compare his funky comping in Another One Bites The Dust with his arpeggios in Under Pressure, neither being his brightest moment, but both revealing other sides of his playing. There's also a world of difference between his solos in Brighton Rock and Bohemian Rhapsody for example. And that's not even to bring up Good Company...

Also not to include Gilmore would be sacrilege, though I do agree there are many other guitarists who deserve to be in the finals if Iommi makes it. Townshend definitely comes to mind...

I agree with your May vs EVH comparison. For all his brilliance, Van Halen is Van Halen. I'd think much higher of him if he ventured out into a Jazz, Funk or other solo project. He's got the chops, but he's grown creatively lazy.

Gilmore and Townsend just aren't that interesting to me, but it's all personal preference.

• Like 1