Francis Ford Coppola

JohnnyBlaze

Francis Ford Coppola  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which Francis Ford Coppola directed movie is your favorite?

• Tonight For Sure
    • The Bellboy and the Playgirls
    • Dementia 13
    • You're a Big Boy Now
    • Finian's Rainbow
    • The Rain People
    • The Godfather
    • The Conversation
    • The Godfather Part II
    • Apocalypse Now
    • One From the Heart
    • The Outsiders
    • Rumble Fish
    • The Cotton Club
    • Peggy Sue Got Married
    • Gardens of Stone
    • Tucker: The Man and His Dream
    • New York Stories ((co-director))
    • The Godfather Part III
    • Bram Stoker's Dracula
    • Jack
    • The Rainmaker
    • Youth Without Youth
    • Tetro
    • Twixt
    • Distant Vision
    • ((I haven't seen any of those.))
  2. 2. How many of these movies have you seen?

• None.
    • Only 1.
    • Just a few, 2-4.
    • Some, 5-10.
    • About half, 11-15.
    • A bunch, 16-20.
    • Most of them, 21-24.
    • All but 1.
    • ALL.
  3. 3. How does Francis Ford Coppola stack up as a director in the world of directors?

• He's the greatest director out there!
    • He's not THE best but he is one of the all time greats.
    • He's a good director overall. Above average.
    • He's okay. Probably middle of the road for me.
    • He's a bit overrated and probably below average IMHO.
    • I don't like his movies at all. Just horrible.
    • I haven't seen anything he's done. I'm just here to make the numbers.
    • ((Other. And I'll elaborate on this in my post.))

I need to see more of these . . . I've only seen Dementia 13, The Conversation, The Godfather I and II, and about a quarter of Dracula ( which I turned off )

Other than Dracula, I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them

How about the one starring Vincent Gallo?

I kept falling asleep in Dracula.

I just watched the trailer ... It looks worth watching ... Kind of embarrassed to say that I had never heard of it !!

:LOL:

I'm more surprised that you've never seen Apocalypse Now or The Outsiders.

And I don't think I want to "click" to find out who picked "I've never seen any Coppola movie". Unless the person is really young (like 15-16), it's a shocker. :LOL:

Both are movies that I really need to see, and have been meaning to since the days of VHS !!!!

I can imagine a conversation in 1984 with my friend Ralph, who worked at The Video Store, while we were browsing the titles after closing:

Hey Luc, you want to watch Apocalypse Now tonight ??

umm, ok, sure .... no wait, you've got FINAL EXAM ?!?!?! .. Let's watch that !!

I saw both on Cinemax or HBO in those days. Must've seen Outsiders around a dozen times.

Ralph Macchio prepped for his Karate Kid beatings by first getting his ass whipped in Outsiders.

It's also one of the first films in which Patrick Swayze physically carried someone (male or female). In that movie it was C. Thomas Howell. He'd go on to carry others countless times in the films that followed: Kelly Lynch and that Penthouse pet in Road House, Charlie Sheen and Jennifer Grey in Red Dawn, Jennifer Grey (again) in Dirty Dancing, Demi in Ghost, and on and on...

• Like 2

I need to see more of these . . . I've only seen Dementia 13, The Conversation, The Godfather I and II, and about a quarter of Dracula ( which I turned off )

I just watched the trailer ... It looks worth watching ... Kind of embarrassed to say that I had never heard of it !!

And I don't think I want to "click" to find out who picked "I've never seen any Coppola movie". Unless the person is really young (like 15-16), it's a shocker. :LOL:

Both are movies that I really need to see, and have been meaning to since the days of VHS !!!!

I can imagine a conversation in 1984 with my friend Ralph, who worked at The Video Store, while we were browsing the titles after closing:

I saw both on Cinemax or HBO in those days. Must've seen Outsiders around a dozen times.

Ralph Macchio prepped for his Karate Kid beatings by first getting his ass whipped in Outsiders.

It's also one of the first films in which Patrick Swayze physically carried someone (male or female). In that movie it was C. Thomas Howell. He'd go on to carry others countless times in the films that followed: Kelly Lynch and that Penthouse pet in Road House, Charlie Sheen and Jennifer Grey in Red Dawn, Jennifer Grey (again) in Dirty Dancing, Demi in Ghost, and on and on...

too bad he could never carry a movie on his own

• Like 2

too bad he could never carry a movie on his own

He never bothered me as much as he should've :LOL:

• Like 1

The Godfather!

I also think I'm in that small camp that liked the first one a lot more than the second. Not saying Godfather Pt. 2 is bad- it's great- but it's not a better movie IMO.

• Like 2

I've only seen one, and that was only bits of it.

Well, get on it then babykit! :P

If you want something more involved then I'd go with Godfather 1 & 2 or Apocalypse Now.

If you want to bang out a Coppola movie in under two hours that is still meaningful then I'd go with The Outsiders.

The Godfather!

I also think I'm in that small camp that liked the first one a lot more than the second. Not saying Godfather Pt. 2 is bad- it's great- but it's not a better movie IMO.

I also prefer The Godfather. I like the fact it's pulp and has a sense of humor that's lacking in Part 2.

• Like 2

The Godfather!

I also prefer The Godfather. I like the fact it's pulp and has a sense of humor that's lacking in Part 2.

It's a good point. You never get the feeling Michael enjoys his life at all unlike his father or brothers. He is humorless.

• Like 2

The Godfather!

I agree with both of you.

I love how out of everyone in the family, the youngest one, the one who wasn't supposed to even be a part of that world, the war hero, turns out to be the one who was the most cold and the most ruthless.

That scene with Tom in part two, the "why do you hurt me Michael?" scene? Gives me goosebumps.

Both movies need to be taken in to truly appreciate the whole story.

Whenever there is a marathon I will stop and watch parts one and two. I can't count how many times I have seen both movies.

Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 3

Rumble Fish is his underrated masterpiece.

Finally saw Peggy Sue for the first time last month on Starz. Not a bad movie but Nic Cage's Pokey from Gumby cartoons accent was a baaaaaaaaaaad choice!

I've never seen Rumble Fish. I should do.

Cage doing what he was doing in Peggy Sue made no sense.

If you want something more involved then I'd go with Godfather 1 & 2 or Apocalypse Now.

If you want to bang out a Coppola movie in under two hours that is still meaningful then I'd go with The Outsiders.

Apocalypse Now was the one I was on about.

Apocalypse Now was the one I was on about.

Didn't like it? Fell asleep?

Rumble Fish is his underrated masterpiece.

I've never seen Rumble Fish. I should do.

I just finished this one about an hour ago. I wasn't expecting the offbeat, noir mood. It didn't bother me, it just caught me off guard as I was expecting something more straight up a la The Outsiders. There were some interesting, dramatic moments and the cool cast helped. It's good but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. It's definitely different, I'll give it that.

One nice little treat was the quirky soundtrack provided by Stewart Copeland.

Grade: B

So nobody would recommend any of his flicks past Godfather III?

He's been phoning it in ever since.

Yeah? That sucks.

Is Godfather III worth a watch? I haven't seen it. I'd need to see parts 1 and 2 again as it's been so long since the last time.

Yeah it's worth a watch.

I'd quibble with that. :)