British vs American classic rock bands?

Texas King

British vs American classic rock bands?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. British vs American classic rock bands?

My instinct was UK, but then I reflected on what classic even meant. Is Hendrix classic? Is Van Halen?

I voted tie, but I probably should change it to UK, but without the parameters I'm not sure.

I already know classic has changed since I was young, it includes more bands now. Are the Ramones classic? Is Kiss?

I don't even like Kiss, but they certainly mattered.

You know what, I'm changing it to UK.

I'm overthinking this.

:yes:

Zep

Stones

Beatles

Who

End of story.

• Like 2

My instinct was UK, but then I reflected on what classic even meant. Is Hendrix classic? Is Van Halen?

I voted tie, but I probably should change it to UK, but without the parameters I'm not sure.

I already know classic has changed since I was young, it includes more bands now. Are the Ramones classic? Is Kiss?

I don't even like Kiss, but they certainly mattered.

You know what, I'm changing it to UK.

I'm overthinking this.

:yes:

Zep

Stones

Beatles

Who

End of story.

Not quite yet

Hendrix

CCR

KISS

Cheap Trick

Aerosmith

Skynyrd

Boston

ZZ Top

Allmans

Guns n Roses

Beach Boys

Van Halen

The Boss

Kansas

Steely Dan

Blondie

Classic rock - the 60's and 70's rock excluding punk rock!

Bands as Motley Crue and Pearl Jam don't belong to classic rock.

Disagree. Classic Rock is a radio format, one which has descended from the great late seventies radio tradition of AOR. It isn't a genre and it isn't whatever you want it to be. Classic Rock is generally defined as the most currently popular rock (broad term) music that begins roughly with the Beatles and ends when Nirvana's Nevermind makes the underground the mainstream. I.E. It's basically anything pre-Nirvana, not including the indie and underground acts most directly related to the sound that Nirvana popularized and "killed" hair metal with. So it's pretty much rock from 1964 to 1991, not counting the Pixies and stuff like that (though REM and U2 do count). Also, rock music made post-Nevermind can count under the right circumstances, such as Tom Petty's 90s albums, Aerosmith's Get A Grip, Queen's Innuendo, etc.

I'm not making this stuff up. The only real definition for Classic Rock is whatever music self-proclaimed "classic rock" radio stations play. And actually I am a little biased in that regard, as some such stations have begun picking up Nirvana and Pearl Jam (and such) in the past few years, but my home classic rock stations almost always veered away from that, respecting grunge as the dividing line.

Oh...and as for the question. I thing in the grand scheme of things there are just as many amazing classic rock bands that mattered from the US as from the UK, but most of my favorites are British. (top 5: Queen, Rush, Muse, Genesis, David Bowie...yeah I appear to be a bit of an Anglophile, with a slight penchant for Canadians :P). Aerosmith, Styx, Kansas, Chicago, Springsteen, Dylan, Tom Petty, Billy Joel, Hendrix, Van Halen, Boston, Journey, REO Speedwagon, The Cars, the Eagles, (half of) Fleetwood Mac, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more are all excellent American classic rock bands worthy of the same kind of praise many of their British peers often get a bit more of.