Tom Brady GOAT?

Xanadoood

Bradshaw threw 84 passes in 4 Super Bowls. I'm 5'11 192 lbs. In Unitas' day I'd have been a defensive end. Today's QBs contend with defensive players who are bigger, stronger and faster than their predecessors.

But you'd have been allowed to slap Johnny on the side of his head in second down and take out his knees on third. Makes a QB think a bit.

And the guys chasing Brady are now about 6 inches taller, 70-80 lbs. heavier, but run the 40 in about 4.4. Getting hit by them is bad enough.

And the secondaries are more athletic than ever, as well.

Ed Hochuli just threw a flag for pass interference. Referee von1971 just watched Jack Tatum decapitate your wide receiver and never once thought about reaching for a flag.

Bradshaw threw 84 passes in 4 Super Bowls. I'm 5'11 192 lbs. In Unitas' day I'd have been a defensive end. Today's QBs contend with defensive players who are bigger, stronger and faster than their predecessors.

I'll tell 60s era Deacon Jones, Bob Lilly, and Dick Butkus you called them diminutive pansies...

That's fine. Sebastian Vollmer would push Jones, Lilly and Butkus into the locker room. Jones was the biggest of the three, and Vollmer is 3 inches taller, and about 50 lbs heavier than he was.

• Like 1

But you'd have been allowed to slap Johnny on the side of his head in second down and take out his knees on third. Makes a QB think a bit.

And the guys chasing Brady are now about 6 inches taller, 70-80 lbs. heavier, but run the 40 in about 4.4. Getting hit by them is bad enough.

Ed Hochuli just threw a flag for pass interference. Referee von1971 just watched Jack Tatum decapitate your wide receiver and never once thought about reaching for a flag.

Except Jack Tatum would have had a hard time keeping up with today's receivers to actually do that.

• Like 1

Well then. Someday, the average defensive line man will be 7' 9" 612 lbs. and run a 2.8 40. It'll be interesting when you're saying Tom Brady is better than Hawkins Romo IV who will have won 8 rings against those behemoth defenders while completing 94% of his passes without ever throwing an INT.
  • Like 1

Except Jack Tatum would have had a hard time keeping up with today's receivers to actually do that.

Look at the most passing yards per season by a QB. In the top 20, only 2 happen before 2007, and only one before 2001. Everyone who got to 5,000 yards, save one, did so from 2008 and later.

Look at the most passing yards per season by a QB. In the top 20, only 2 happen before 2007, and only one before 2001. Everyone who got to 5,000 yards, save one, did so from 2008 and later.

Isn't that an argument for Brady? That the NFL is a passing rather than running league now?

• Like 2

Well then. Someday, the average defensive line man will be 7' 9" 612 lbs. and run a 2.8 40. It'll be interesting when you're saying Tom Brady is better than Hawkins Romo IV who will have won 8 rings against those behemoth defenders while completing 94% of his passes without ever throwing an INT.

Would you say Bill Russell would dominate today's NBA?

I don't know where you're from, but assuming it's the US, let's find the best high school football team in your state and put them on a field. Now tet's take the worst team in the state, put them on the same field, but put Ezekiel Elliott on that team. How bad do you think your state champions would get beat?

Isn't that an argument for Brady? That the NFL is a passing rather than running league now?

No, it proves you can't compare eras easily or maybe, not at all. The league has become so pro passing, pro offense, and pro scoring that it is easier than ever to rack up stats as a QB.

• Like 2

No, it proves you can't compare eras easily or maybe, not at all. The league has become so pro passing, pro offense, and pro scoring that it is easier than ever to rack up stats as a QB.

And so we come back to the fact that Brady is the only player common to the 01, 03, 04, 14 and 16 championship teams.

• Like 1

And so we come back to the fact that Brady is the only player common to the 01, 03, 04, 14 and 16 championship teams.

I think he is one of the best to play the position. I just don't think he is the best of all time. I don't think anyone that loves him or the pats should give a shit about my opinion either.

I don't know where you're from, but assuming it's the US, let's find the best high school football team in your state and put them on a field. Now tet's take the worst team in the state, put them on the same field, but put Ezekiel Elliott on that team. How bad do you think your state champions would get beat?

You're beyond hilarious, basically saying Tristan McHigh Schooler of 2017 is equally talented to NFL Hall of Famer of his 1967 heyday.

Homer idiot.

Edited by bordercollie

I think he is one of the best to play the position. I just don't think he is the best of all time. I don't think anyone that loves him or the pats should give a shit about my opinion either.

I don't think it's the case that anyone's feelings are hurt that you don't think he's the best of all time. Mine aren't. Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. I just think it's interesting to debate the issue, and I think it's fair to argue that he is the greatest QB of all time.

I don't think it's the case that anyone's feelings are hurt that you don't think he's the best of all time. Mine aren't. Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. I just think it's interesting to debate the issue, and I think it's fair to argue that he is the greatest QB of all time.

Definitely not insinuating that anyone's feelings are hurt. Just saying my opinion is worth as much as anyone's, possibly less.

This is a great argument for Manning over Brady.

No, it is evidence that QBs now have an easier time putting up numbers than in the past, eviscerating your points about how big defensive players are now.

No, it is evidence that QBs now have an easier time putting up numbers than in the past, eviscerating your points about how big defensive players are now.

Defensive players aren't bigger and faster now?

Bradshaw attempted 84 passes in 4 Super Bowls. Brady attempted 62 in Super Bowl 51. That might mean the game has changed.

Playing dumb doesn't look fun to me.

Then there's at least one I guess.

• Like 1

Is being dumb?

Is being dumb?

It looks less fun, but you seem happy, so who am I to judge?

Is being dumb?

It looks less fun, but you seem happy, so who am I to judge?

Personally? I don't think you are positioned to judge anyone's intelligence. But I'm also a free speech guy, so have at it. What am I saying? There's literally no one on this board that does so with more frequency than you. Ironically enough.

• Like 1

Manning has choked an infinite amount of times when it counted, getting beat down 43-8 and 35-21. Even in Brady's two losses, he was in the game.

Thanks for the comedy.

Manning has choked an infinite amount of times when it counted, getting beat down 43-8 and 35-21. Even in Brady's two losses, he was in the game.

Thanks for the comedy.

Not to mention that Manning had two hall of fame caliber WRs and a HOF caliber running back for most of his run. Brady is the only constant over the past decade and a half run. Again, Manning shouldn't be in the argument for greatest QB of all time. He's not even close to being the best in his own era.
  • Like 1