The Perception of THE DOORS: TRF's Doors Thread

ReRushed

No Rush Forum Doors thread? Not anymore!

I just listened to all the Doors studio albums and found myself appreciating them more than ever. I still find them to be a frustratingly inconsistent band, but I found myself holding their best work in higher esteem. They are the perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Here are my album rankings:

L.A. Woman

Strange Days

The Doors

Waiting for the Sun

Morrison Hotel

The Soft Parade

An American Prayer

Other Voices

Full Circle

And the best thing they ever recorded is... "When the Music's Over" It's simply EPIC.

• Like 2

OK I am up for this thread!

However it's been a good while since I played anything by them...

Which means I must get back to them!

For a long while they were a top ten band for me. Just adore them.

I discovered them through HIM. Ville Valo was frequently compared to Jim Morrisson, so I tried them and it was just LOVE!

I thought we had a thread. Think I wanted to start one a while back, but was told by the resident experts what a rotten band The Doors were, so.......

LOL

That could possibly have been me!

When I love the Doors, I love the Doors. When I hate the Doors, I hate the doors. For some reason, after re-listening to the albums the stuff I liked I ended up really liking.

• Like 1

ReGor started one last year: http://www.therushfo...d-of-the-doors/

Man, I was all over that thread! The search engine leaves a lot to be desired! And my memory is shot.

I'm glad you said that about the search engine here. It's bad. Really bad. I thought it was just me.

My memory is shot too. Bad. And I repeat myself on TRF a lot. For that I apologize. If I remembered saying something already, I wouldn't be saying it again.

I'm always surprised The Soft Parade ranks so low on lists. It's my favorite next to the debut.

Same. I'm playing the debut now...I think I love it more than Strange Days!

Top three is The Doors, Strange Days and The Soft Parade, and they can be placed in any order you like!

• Like 1

I like them, a lot of people on here see them as some kind of pseudo-rock poser band. This might be because of the antics and personality of Jim Morrison or it might be the Geddy Lee crowd of bass players who have no one to relate to in the Doors.
  • Like 2

I like them, a lot of people on here see them as some kind of pseudo-rock poser band. This might be because of the antics and personality of Jim Morrison or it might be the Geddy Lee crowd of bass players who have no one to relate to in the Doors.

They may have been pseudo-posers, but Jim Morrison had an exquisitely beautiful voice and he makes Geddy sound like a shrieking squirrel.

Now I will go listen to The Crystal Ship.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

They may have been pseudo-posers, but Jim Morrison had an exquisitely beautiful voice and he makes Geddy sound like a shrieking squirrel.

This was brave.

But oh so true!

This was brave.

But oh so true!

But he does. A lot of singers are a lot better than Geddy. That doesn't take that much. I don't mean any criticism of Geddy's ability to sing. It's a fact.

This was brave.

But oh so true!

But he does. A lot of singers are a lot better than Geddy. That doesn't take that much. I don't mean any criticism of Geddy's ability to sing. It's a fact.

It's just refreshing having someone else voice these thoughts.

I'm not into Rush at all atm coz Geddy annoys the hell outta me when I'm not in the mood.

Jim Morrisson is in the same boat as Ville Valo and Jeff or Tim Buckley: I'm never not in the mood to hear that voice!

• Like 1

This was brave.

But oh so true!

I'm not into Rush at all atm coz Geddy annoys the hell outta me when I'm not in the mood.

Jim Morrisson is in the same boat as Ville Valo and Jeff or Tim Buckley: I'm never not in the mood to hear that voice!

That's a good person to compare Jim's voice to - Tim Buckley. His son too who sounded just like him. Not familiar with Ville Valo.

• Like 1

Probably my least favorite "popular" band all time. Without fail when they come on I change the station(old school I realize :codger: ). I just don't get it and never will. Just my opinion...
  • Like 1

Sometimes the poetic turns were a bit overwrought, but sometimes they were brilliant. Like every band not everything stands up and some never was that great. But the Doors were a good band, and I like them.

No album evaluations as I am familiar with their catalog overall rather than moment by moment. Just a function of how they broke for me. I should rectify that since I am a believer in the integrity of albums.

• Like 1

Probably my least favorite "popular" band all time. Without fail when they come on I change the station(old school I realize :codger: ). I just don't get it and never will. Just my opinion...

At least we agree on Going For The One!

I'm still so pleased you directed me to that album!

• Like 1

This was brave.

But oh so true!

That's a good person to compare Jim's voice to - Tim Buckley. His son too who sounded just like him. Not familiar with Ville Valo.

He is from Finland. Sings in a band called HIM.

• Like 1

I don't want to "slam" the Doors, because it's important to be "open" minded. Otherwise, I'll come across as a "knob." See, it all "hinges" on the fact that although they're a "swinging" band, I fee "shut" out for some reason - I just can't "lock" on to their endearing qualities. I can't quite "frame" what I mean; I can't get a "handle" on the problem.

...available for private functions...book early to avoid disappointment...

• Like 8

I don't want to "slam" the Doors, because it's important to be "open" minded. Otherwise, I'll come across as a "knob." See, it all "hinges" on the fact that although they're a "swinging" band, I fee "shut" out for some reason - I just can't "lock" on to their endearing qualities. I can't quite "frame" what I mean; I can't get a "handle" on the problem.

...available for private functions...book early to avoid disappointment...

You're hired. You make a great entrance
  • Like 4