LL50

GabesCavesOfIce

Whatever you want to say about Lee's voice now, it still has that recognizable timbre. I'm still charmed by it, and he can still sing as long as he doesn't push it past his limitations.

I don't think he's really sounded like himself for the last few years. The typical tone of his voice is almost gone. All of the yodeling makes it pretty cringe worthy. It's excusable live because everyone's half deaf anyway and the excitement of the event, but another album? Unless they can do a miracle job of covering all of that up or its instrumental I can't see it being very good.

Whatever you want to say about Lee's voice now, it still has that recognizable timbre. I'm still charmed by it, and he can still sing as long as he doesn't push it past his limitations.

I don't think he's really sounded like himself for the last few years. The typical tone of his voice is almost gone. All of the yodeling makes it pretty cringe worthy. It's excusable live because everyone's half deaf anyway and the excitement of the event, but another album? Unless they can do a miracle job of covering all of that up or its instrumental I can't see it being very good.

I know, you don't care that much for Clockwork Angels - at least the singing. I still like it, and I "hear Geddy." But yeah, his voice changed a bit, although I still don't hear the "yodelling" that you and other folks talk about. I know what aspect of his singing you're talking about, and I think it's because he's pushing too hard, causing that momentary squeak.

I know, you don't care that much for Clockwork Angels - at least the singing. I still like it, and I "hear Geddy." But yeah, his voice changed a bit, although I still don't hear the "yodelling" that you and other folks talk about. I know what aspect of his singing you're talking about, and I think it's because he's pushing too hard, causing that momentary squeak.

I've I thought that too, that it sounds like he's trying to sing too loud and pushing too hard. Like if he would relax his voice would come out smoother. He did sound better on the R40 tour but was still doing it now and then. The yodeling mostly happens live. You can hear it slightly on the album but they did a pretty good job of covering it up.

• Like 1

I can't imagine caring whether the singer is male, female, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, gay, straight, tall, short, old, young, etc.

As long as the music matches the singer, I'm completely fine with it.

If Geddy and Alex write all the music, it's inevitable that that music will sound similar (to some degree) to Rush. And with Rush music, I can't think of a female vocalist that matches even a fraction of their work. I can pick a few songs here and there in which a female vocalist MIGHT work (Time Stand Still, The Garden [maybe]). But imho, it wouldn't constitute enough to get a female vocalist for an entire album or tour.

On the other end, I wouldn't have a male vocalist singing an Ani DiFranco song no matter how good a singer they are.

I guess for me if it isn't Geddy or a Geddy sound-a-like, then it no longer matters who it is. Because it's already different.

I love Ani, so major plus for name-dropping her, btw.

But if she wrote a song for a guy to sing then I'd be all for that.

If Geddy and Alex are writing with the intent of their chosen singer singing it (the hypothetical woman) then I say go for it.

That's different than changing the singer for a Rush song, because certainly another singer performing with Geddy but without Geddy singing would be weird. I'm strictly talking about new material.

• Like 2

I would be OK with some LLARWW gigs (last W for White but feel free eventually to make a phone call to Bill Bruford...)

And to retain the power trio formula I'd just call Simon Phillips and going for 2LP as project name

I can't imagine caring whether the singer is male, female, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, gay, straight, tall, short, old, young, etc.

If Geddy and Alex write all the music, it's inevitable that that music will sound similar (to some degree) to Rush. And with Rush music, I can't think of a female vocalist that matches even a fraction of their work. I can pick a few songs here and there in which a female vocalist MIGHT work (Time Stand Still, The Garden [maybe]). But imho, it wouldn't constitute enough to get a female vocalist for an entire album or tour.

On the other end, I wouldn't have a male vocalist singing an Ani DiFranco song no matter how good a singer they are.

I guess for me if it isn't Geddy or a Geddy sound-a-like, then it no longer matters who it is. Because it's already different.

If Geddy and Alex are writing with the intent of their chosen singer singing it (the hypothetical woman) then I say go for it.

That's different than changing the singer for a Rush song, because certainly another singer performing with Geddy but without Geddy singing would be weird. I'm strictly talking about new material.

Can't imagine Geddy & Alex writing a song specifically FOR a woman to sing. I'd have to hear it first. I guess it's possible but I'm thinking that anything the two write TOGETHER, it naturally turns out to be something that Geddy would sing...unless, of course, if it's a straight up instrumental.

In my 10+ years on TRF and handfuls of times mentioning Ani DiFranco, you're maybe the second person to comment about her.

• Like 1

Can't imagine Geddy & Alex writing a song specifically FOR a woman to sing. I'd have to hear it first. I guess it's possible but I'm thinking that anything the two write TOGETHER, it naturally turns out to be something that Geddy would sing...unless, of course, if it's a straight up instrumental.

In my 10+ years on TRF and handfuls of times mentioning Ani DiFranco, you're maybe the second person to comment about her.

I don't mean writing for a woman specifically, so much as if they chose a woman singer than they'd be writing in her range, whatever that may be.

As to Ani, all I can say is that I don't play any instruments, but to my ears she's incredibly unique in how she uses her guitar. And of course I like her poetic style.

;)

:fistbump: to both of you!

Pleased to come across another fan around here, Mosher.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

I don't mean writing for a woman specifically, so much as if they chose a woman singer than they'd be writing in her range, whatever that may be.

As to Ani, all I can say is that I don't play any instruments, but to my ears she's incredibly unique in how she uses her guitar. And of course I like her poetic style.

Can't imagine Geddy and Alex doing that but I guess anything's possible in Life After Rush.

As for Ani, one of the best gigs I've ever seen was her by herself in a small club out here about ten years ago. So damn good. And funny! I got pretty close to the front, maybe about 10 feet from her if that. The venue itself was pretty cozy anyway and great for sounds.