The Rush Tailgate Thread

PassTheAmmunition

Hi Folks - the idea here is simple: share some of your 'A-game' tailgate / bbq recipes for this summer's Snakes & Arrows tour. As a veteran sports tailgater myself, I'm always happy to share as well as eager to learn from other fans and their game-day 'secret recipes'. Nothing is a secret amongst Rush fans, right? It would be great to build a list of our personal favorites and hopefully PIN (admins, a little help?) the thread for people headed to the shows across North America, Canada and Europe this summer.

I'll start it off with 3 of my favorite summer tailgate bbq recipes.

-----------------------------

Flank Steak Bangkok

Ingredients

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup olive oil

8 garlic cloves, crushed

3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar

2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar

4 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger

1 teaspoon sesame oil

dash red pepper flakes

1 large flank steak about 2 1/2 pounds

dash freshly ground black pepper

2 loaves frozen garlic bread, in aluminum foil

Instructions

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for flank steak and mix thoroughly. It is recommended to use food processor or hand mixer to liquify ingredients for marinating.

Marinate flank steak for at least 4 hours before grilling - up to 12 hours or overnight, refrigerated. Remove from marinade and grill / sear on high setting for ~ minutes a side (@ 500 degrees F) or until desired doneness. Remove from flame and allow to set for 2-3 minutes before carving. Slice across the grain of the meat at a 45 degree angle, thinly.

Serve sliced over grilled garlic bread.

----------------------------

Red Barchetta Tomato Steak

Ingredients

1/2 cup light soy sauce

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 can tomato paste

1/4 cup water

4 tablespoons chopped oregano

6 garlic cloves, crushed

1 large london broil, ~3 lbs

freshly ground black pepper

2 loaves frozen garlic bread

Instructions

Mix soy sauce, olive oil, tomato paste, water, oregano, garlic and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Reserve a 1/2 cup of this marinade as 'dipping sauce' and set aside. Place the remaining marinade in a large Zip-Loc bag with London Broil and marinate overnight.

Remove london broil from marinade and place on medium-high grill and grill approximately 10 minutes per side (1.5 -2.25" thick) or until desired doneness. Remove from eat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.

Serve sliced over grilled garlic bread with reserved tomato dipping sauce.

--------------------

Vapor Trails Chicken

Ingredients

1 16 ouce bottle Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce (or equivalent)

1 packet Good Seasonings Italian Dressing mix (dry)

Juice of 1 lemon

1 stick salted butter

3 tablespoons red pepper flakes

1/4 cup Tabasco sauce

4-5 cloves garlic, crushed

2 packages thinly sliced chicken breast

wooden skewers

Instructions

Combine ingredients except chicken and skewers in a large sealable container. Prepare chicken by thinly slicing in 1" ribbons, sufficient for placing on skewer. Marinate chicken for 4-6 hours in refigerator, turning freqently. Note - chicken will 'cook' or become opaque if left in longer due to lemon juice and vinegar in marinade.

Soak wooden skewers overnight in water

Remove chicken from marinade and place on skewers, leaving bottom third of skewer for holding. Place on medium high grill and grill chicken turning frequently until thoroughly cooked.

The above, of course, all deserve to be properly paired with ice cold beer.

Hope to see some of you at the shows! 2.gif

I found this on the net a few months ago and it is an awesome recipe for just about any tailgater... the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Wings of Lamneth

Tip: Use full sized drum sticks and wings. Don't mess around with those little things. This recipe is good for 24 drumsticks or wings.

The Night Before the Show

1/2 bottle Liquid Smoke

2 TBS. Garlic Juice

1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar

1 Snakes and Arrows CD

Put chicken into a plastic container. Listen to Snakes and Arrows cd. Add the above ingredients and enough COLD water to cover. Listen to Snakes and Arrows cd on random. Place in the refrigerator overnight with a sealed lid and take to the show with you! In the meantime, listen to a few older Rush albums to freshen up your memory.

Dry Spices:

5 Parts Garlic Salt

1 Part Cayenne

1/2 Part Cumin

1/2 Part Chili Powder

1/2 Part Paprica

1/2 Black Pepper

1/2 Part Curry Powder

30+ years of Rush music

Place ingredients into a Ziplock bag and shake until well mixed, then listen to assorted Rush albums, all on random.

Tip: Pour into a shaker with large holes. This will allow you to keep this tasty treat for other items you are cooking. It is great on ribs, burgers, and things like that. I usually make a large batch of the dry spice so I have a bunch on hand. It keeps very well in the Ziplock bag.

Make sure that any spices or containers that come into contact with raw chicken ar NOT used again. You do not want food poisoning and miss the concert. Hence the shaker...

At the Show!

Place Chicken on grill and sprinkle above combination liberally on all sides. Cook on medium heat if possible, but listen to Rush at FULL volume. Have a spray bottle of water handy and mist chicken to keep moist while cooking. Add dry spices as often as you want to coat the chicken and replay Snakes and Arrows as much as desired.

The dry spices give you flavor without the runny mess! No worries of ruining your brand new concert Tshirt!

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Apr 17 2007, 09:18 PM)

Vapor Trails Chicken

Ingredients
Juice of 1 lemon
1 stick salted butter
1/4 cup Tabasco sauce
wooden skewers

Instructions

Combine ingredients except chicken and skewers in a large sealable container. Prepare chicken by thinly slicing in 1" ribbons, sufficient for placing on skewer. Marinate chicken for 4-6 hours in refigerator, turning freqently. Note - chicken will 'cook' or become opaque if left in longer due to lemon juice and vinegar in marinade.

Remove chicken from marinade and place on skewers, leaving bottom third of skewer for holding. Place on medium high grill and grill chicken turning frequently until thoroughly cooked.

is it called vapor trails chicken because after you are finished, you are farting a storm due to all that hotness?

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Apr 17 2007, 10:18 PM)
Hi Folks - the idea here is simple: share some of your 'A-game' tailgate / bbq recipes for this summer's Snakes & Arrows tour. As a veteran sports tailgater myself, I'm always happy to share as well as eager to learn from other fans and their game-day 'secret recipes'. Nothing is a secret amongst Rush fans, right? It would be great to build a list of our personal favorites and hopefully PIN (admins, a little help?) the thread for people headed to the shows across North America, Canada and Europe this summer.

Flank Steak Bangkok

Ingredients
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon sesame oil
dash red pepper flakes

Instructions
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for flank steak and mix thoroughly. It is recommended to use food processor or hand mixer to liquify ingredients for marinating.

Marinate flank steak for at least 4 hours before grilling - up to 12 hours or overnight, refrigerated. Remove from marinade and grill / sear on high setting for ~ minutes a side (@ 500 degrees F) or until desired doneness. Remove from flame and allow to set for 2-3 minutes before carving. Slice across the grain of the meat at a 45 degree angle, thinly.

Ingredients
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1 can tomato paste
1/4 cup water
6 garlic cloves, crushed

Instructions
Mix soy sauce, olive oil, tomato paste, water, oregano, garlic and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Reserve a 1/2 cup of this marinade as 'dipping sauce' and set aside. Place the remaining marinade in a large Zip-Loc bag with London Broil and marinate overnight.

Remove london broil from marinade and place on medium-high grill and grill approximately 10 minutes per side (1.5 -2.25" thick) or until desired doneness. Remove from eat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.

--------------------

Vapor Trails Chicken

Ingredients
Juice of 1 lemon
1 stick salted butter
1/4 cup Tabasco sauce
wooden skewers

Instructions

Make enough for all of us!! There will be about 10 of us at the PNC show.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 6 2007, 10:46 PM)
Hi Folks - the idea here is simple:  share some of your 'A-game' tailgate / bbq recipes for this summer's Snakes & Arrows tour.  As a veteran sports tailgater myself, I'm always happy to share as well as eager to learn from other fans and their game-day 'secret recipes'.  Nothing is a secret amongst Rush fans, right?  It would be great to build a list of our personal favorites and hopefully PIN (admins, a little help?) the thread for people headed to the shows across North America, Canada and Europe this summer.

Flank Steak Bangkok

Ingredients
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon sesame oil
dash red pepper flakes

Instructions
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for flank steak and mix thoroughly.  It is recommended to use food processor or hand mixer to liquify ingredients for marinating.

Marinate flank steak for at least 4 hours before grilling - up to 12 hours or overnight, refrigerated.  Remove from marinade and grill / sear on high setting for ~ minutes a side (@ 500 degrees F) or until desired doneness.  Remove from flame and allow to set for 2-3 minutes before carving.  Slice across the grain of the meat at a 45 degree angle, thinly.

Ingredients
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1 can tomato paste
1/4 cup water
6 garlic cloves, crushed

Instructions
Mix soy sauce, olive oil, tomato paste, water, oregano, garlic and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.  Reserve a 1/2 cup of this marinade as 'dipping sauce' and set aside.  Place the remaining marinade in a large Zip-Loc bag with London Broil and marinate overnight.

Remove london broil from marinade and place on medium-high grill and grill approximately 10 minutes per side (1.5 -2.25" thick) or until desired doneness.  Remove from eat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. 

--------------------

Vapor Trails Chicken

Ingredients
Juice of 1 lemon
1 stick salted butter
1/4 cup Tabasco sauce
wooden skewers

Instructions

Combine ingredients except chicken and skewers in a large sealable container.  Prepare chicken by thinly slicing in 1" ribbons, sufficient for placing on skewer.  Marinate chicken for 4-6 hours in refigerator, turning freqently.  Note - chicken will 'cook' or become opaque if left in longer due to lemon juice and vinegar in marinade.

Remove chicken from marinade and place on skewers, leaving bottom third of skewer for holding.  Place on medium high grill and grill chicken turning frequently until thoroughly cooked.

yes.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jun 7 2007, 06:14 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 6 2007, 10:46 PM)
Hi Folks - the idea here is simple:  share some of your 'A-game' tailgate / bbq recipes for this summer's Snakes & Arrows tour.  As a veteran sports tailgater myself, I'm always happy to share as well as eager to learn from other fans and their game-day 'secret recipes'.  Nothing is a secret amongst Rush fans, right?  It would be great to build a list of our personal favorites and hopefully PIN (admins, a little help?) the thread for people headed to the shows across North America, Canada and Europe this summer.

Flank Steak Bangkok

Ingredients
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon sesame oil
dash red pepper flakes

Instructions
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for flank steak and mix thoroughly.  It is recommended to use food processor or hand mixer to liquify ingredients for marinating.

Marinate flank steak for at least 4 hours before grilling - up to 12 hours or overnight, refrigerated.  Remove from marinade and grill / sear on high setting for ~ minutes a side (@ 500 degrees F) or until desired doneness.  Remove from flame and allow to set for 2-3 minutes before carving.  Slice across the grain of the meat at a 45 degree angle, thinly.

Ingredients
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1 can tomato paste
1/4 cup water
6 garlic cloves, crushed

Instructions
Mix soy sauce, olive oil, tomato paste, water, oregano, garlic and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.  Reserve a 1/2 cup of this marinade as 'dipping sauce' and set aside.  Place the remaining marinade in a large Zip-Loc bag with London Broil and marinate overnight.

Remove london broil from marinade and place on medium-high grill and grill approximately 10 minutes per side (1.5 -2.25" thick) or until desired doneness.  Remove from eat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. 

--------------------

Vapor Trails Chicken

Ingredients
Juice of 1 lemon
1 stick salted butter
1/4 cup Tabasco sauce
wooden skewers

Instructions

Combine ingredients except chicken and skewers in a large sealable container.  Prepare chicken by thinly slicing in 1" ribbons, sufficient for placing on skewer.  Marinate chicken for 4-6 hours in refigerator, turning freqently.  Note - chicken will 'cook' or become opaque if left in longer due to lemon juice and vinegar in marinade.

Remove chicken from marinade and place on skewers, leaving bottom third of skewer for holding.  Place on medium high grill and grill chicken turning frequently until thoroughly cooked.

yes.gif

I've got the plates and forks... laugh.gif

Adding one more recipe to the list:

Bourbon Chicken Skewers

Ingredients:

For marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup Kentucky Straight Bourbon

2 tbsp crushed garlic

1 tsp crushed ginger

1/4 cup finely minced onion

2 pkgs boneless chicken breast, cut in 1" cubes

10-15 metal shish-kebab skewers

Instructions:

Combine ingredients in large covered mixing bowl and add cubed chicken to marinade. Marinate overnight or a minimum of 4-6 hours before grilling.

Place marinated cubes of chicken on skewers and grill on medium heat until thoroughly cooked and marinade carmelizes, slightly blackening chicken.

Serve with tons of beer. 1022.gif

Here's a good recipe I'd like to share with all of the beer enthusiasts here on TRF...

1. Grab a bottle of one of your favorite craft brews from the cooler

2. Make sure you have access to a bottle opener

3. Pour beer into a suitable vessel

4. Enjoy

5. Repeat process when vessel is empty

tongue.gif

1 cooler

2 cases of beer trink39.gif

2 beach chairs

all the rush tunes on my i-pod boom box

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 7 2007, 03:24 PM)
1 cooler
2 cases of beer trink39.gif
2 beach chairs
all the rush tunes on my i-pod boom box

no.gif back in the hair band days i thought it was silly to see crouds blaring out tunes from the band they were about to see. since then i have never listened to the band i would the day of the show that night. it just builds more excitement for me. unless (of course) i was at a 2.gif concert and overhear the sound check!!!

Archived