The Caress Of Steel Appreciation Thread

Cygnus 2112

Caress of Steel was similar to Hearts Heartless album. Very under appreciated, short, sweet and never quite up to what the band wanted it to be.

I agree, I know today at least Geddy ranks it as their worst album. I must disagree with him though, I think it's among their best.

I think it's great but I'd put most of the other 70's albums ahead of it.

I'd say Hemispheres is better, but Caress is 2nd in the 70s albums department for me.

• Like 1

I would rank the seventies albums like this:

1. AFTK

2. CoS

3. 2112

4. Hems

5. Rush

6. FBN

Yeah, I truly love CoS!

• Like 1

I love FBN but one wishes they could have toured with Neil for a full year and put together a really solid package of tunes with awesome production with Broon. I still think Lamneth is overrated actually I think it's only overrated as far as TRF Is concerned. It's like Ghost. Haha

Great album. One of my favorites of there's. - I'm partial to their epic songs. I have to say that Panacea "naked in our unity" does make me cringe a bit though. I'm working on a parody of this song as well as Passage to Bangkok. Will post it soon.

Great album. One of my favorites of there's. - I'm partial to their epic songs. I have to say that Panacea "naked in our unity" does make me cringe a bit though. I'm working on a parody of this song as well as Passage to Bangkok. Will post it soon.

Well at least it wasn't "fully clothed in our unity". ;)

• Like 2

Caress of Steel was the first Rush album I owned.

I asked for Rush for Christmas or my birthday, because I had come to realize that all those songs on the radio I loved were by the same band.

I'm certain COS was the cheapest one available. No song I had heard before, completely unfamiliar territory.

It wasn't even tracked right. The cassette release had Didacts and Narpets swapped for I Think I'm Going Bald. The Fountain of Lamneth wasn't a long piece, it was just a bunch of songs.

So it wasn't even the 'right' COS.

But it was great!

Using the 4 point system I saw used above, I'd rate as follows:

Bastille Day 4/4

Lakeside Park 1/4 (never liked it much)

I Think I'm Going Bald 2/4

The Necromancer 3.5/4 (I think the vocal effects are silly, but when the music rages it rages as well as they ever ever have)

Fountain of Lamneth 3.5/4 (I love that a young band tried that allegory, although Panacea doesn't work well, the rest is stellar.)

And I agree that No One at the Bridge is one of their best songs.

Many people find Didacts annoying or pointless. I think it fits perfectly as the 'teenage chaos' section of the life study that the Fountain is going for. Everything in context.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 2

"Me and you, in the nude, getting lewd, with the food"

• Like 1

"Me and you, in the nude, getting lewd, with the food"

I'm guessing that Neil didn't have a rhyming dictionary. ;)

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Haha I am playing this album and I see this thread pop up!

Yeah...it's one of their greatest works in my opinion. Only dislike is the spoken word segments in The Necromancer. Otherwise...this is my second favourite of the seventies of AFTK.

It has a magic...it is like a fun fantasy novel set to music. It just has a certain atmosphere that I adore!

• Like 1

I like this one.

But I don't understand why it failed.

I do. The biggest reason is The Necromancer and TFOL. It was a real hodgepodge of an album. Lakeside Park and Bastille day were radio friendly, and then ITIGB was the oddball weird one thrown in. If people picked up the album thinking the rest of it was going to be like Lakeside Park, which was the big single, they probably shook their head and wondered what the heck they had bought. Honestly if it hadn't been for Lakeside Park itself, the entire album would've tanked.

I'm saying this in the viewpoint of the people who would've bought it back then. I love the album myself and always have but it wasn't the first Rush album I bought. I knew what to expect.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

I like this one.

But I don't understand why it failed.

I do. The biggest reason is The Necromancer and TFOL. It was a real hodgepodge of an album. Lakeside Park and Bastille day were radio friendly, and then ITIGB was the oddball weird one thrown in. If people picked up the album thinking the rest of it was going to be like Lakeside Park, which was the big single, they probably shook their head and wondered what the heck they had bought. Honestly if it hadn't been for Lakeside Park itself, the entire album would've tanked.

I'm saying this in the viewpoint of the people who would've bought it back then. I love the album myself and always have but it wasn't the first Rush album I bought. I knew what to expect.

:goodone: Very well pointed. It's a good album though.

Caress Of Steel is an album I usually thought separately, in two parts. One extremely progressive, another a less complex sound.

Bastille Day connects easily with A Farewell To Kings track.

I Think I'm Going Bald is different from the rest, yet it's Rush.

Lakeside Park is more connected to their debut album style.

The Necromancer is perfect.

The Fountain OF Lamneth is perfect.

• Like 2