Xanadu vs. Headlong Flight

Segue Myles

38 members have voted

1. 1. You kind of set off an eternal winter, everywhere!

Well I think Headlong Flight is the closest Rush has got to reach Xanadu levels of greatness in decades (since Red Barchetta, in fact).

And I might trash CA most days, but I happen to think HF is a truly GREAT song and a key Rush track of any era.

If it came out forty years ago under Terry Brown's direction, I truly doubt we would be arguing this.

Production....

Agreed. But the song itself is phenomenal (hence I mentioned Terry Brown. The more I listen to CA, the more I realise the songs are there, but not the production).

I really don't want to come off like a bitter old dickhead here but I may anyway. I have always said CA has about 75% good to excellent material on it that is buried it sh*t production. Hard to listen too. Thematically the best they have done in a coons age. You have at least one member agreeing with everything you have to say so just enjoy but to compare that poorly produced album albeit in some cases with very good songs to Xanadu, Natural Science, 2112 and I could go on and is just silly. Carry on anyway but I am out of it henceforth....
  • Like 1

Some days, I think I should leave here and just listen to music, and enjoy it for what it is.

I don't have it in me to argue my positions about music, and I shouldn't have to. None of us should have to.

The conventional wisdom seems to be that the song written, recorded and released in the '70s is automatically better on the grounds of its provenance alone.

Xanadu is an absolutely wonderful piece of work- surely one of the highlights of their career.

But that conventional wisdom I just mentioned is absolute bollocks.

I'm not out to change anyone's mind, or talk down to someone else, or throw out a passive insult, or anything of that sort.

Just prefer what you prefer, and be content with it.

AGREED!

I did start these polls for fun.

Even the polls themselves feature irreverent Frozen quotes.

And besides, Headlong Flight is phenomenal, and listening to it in isolation has really reminded me just how much I used to love CA!

That chorus...those vocals...the lyrics...the riffs...I think this is only a teensy bit below the likes of Bastille Day or Red Barchetta.

And Blue J, don't leave.

It's been a little tense in certain parts of this forum lately, but music is music and we should just leave it at that. Everyone just needs to remember that opinions are varied. And that also, just because you might be offended, does not necessarily prove that you are right (to quote a signature meme Union used to have that I just loved!)

• Like 1

I honestly do not understand the tension.

I also won't get involved, and if I am already then it is against my will as all I have tried to do is liven things up.

I also won't get involved, and if I am already then it is against my will as all I have tried to do is liven things up.

Do you think you are the only one here that gets needled? Or gets told, not in exact words of course we're all too nice for that right?, how crummy their taste in music is?

This is the same thing as when we had the conversation here about being bullied on the forum. No one seems to have a problem with it until it happens to them. Then it's a different story.

Do you think you are the only one here that gets needled? Or gets told, not in exact words of course we're all too nice for that right?, how crummy their taste in music is?

This is the same thing as when we had the conversation here about being bullied on the forum. No one seems to have a problem with it until it happens to them. Then it's a different story.

No one has said anything bad about anyone's taste in music. Not once on this thread as far as I am concerned. I have seen defensive posts that boggled my mind, and I have seen some good natured posts.

No offence has been intended, and I certainly would not attack anyone on this forum regarding their taste ever, aside from in jest.

Bullying happens, but maybe if we kept things lively and just look past all the negative we can just have fun.

Maybe I am done with polls. I knew it was a mistake trying to get back into Rush discussion.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I agree that all of the dissection gets old. The constant polls pitting this song against that song Is the same thing over and over again. Personally, I'm still bummed that the group seems to have called it quits and now all of the vultures have started circling. To me that's more depressing than the constant bickering.

I'm done with the polls.

And I refuse to justify my opinion anymore to anyone about what I like and do not like when it comes to music. Or give a reason for my opinion in music.

I get that.

I don't go as in depth about why I like or don't like something as I used to on here. It's been a gradual process over the last year or so but now I pretty just say whether I like this album/song/band and leave it at that. Once you've been on here long enough (over 5 years for me) you get to a point where you've said all you can say, especially about Rush. So, I don't feel the need to justify my like or dislike for something as much now.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

I'm done with the polls.

And I refuse to justify my opinion anymore to anyone about what I like and do not like when it comes to music. Or give a reason for my opinion in music.

I get that.

I don't go as in depth about why I like or don't like something as I used to on here. It's been a gradual process over the last year or so but now I pretty just say whether I like this album/song/band and leave it at that. Once you've been on here long enough (over 5 years for me) you get to a point where you've said all you can say, especially about Rush. So, I don't feel the need to justify my like or dislike for something as much now.

Agreed. But I don't get why these polls turned into a playground fight.

• Like 1

I'm done with the polls.

I get that.

I'm not even sure what exactly happened in this thread? Not sure where it took a wrong turn for some but apparently it did :huh:

• Like 1

I'm done with the polls.

I get that.

I'm not even sure what exactly happened in this thread? Not sure where it took a wrong turn for some but apparently it did :huh:

Never mind. It happens. I agree polls are boring, but exactly what new ground can we cover anywhere in the Rush section of this forum?

• Like 2