Jump to content


The BBQ thread!


  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 BowlCity

BowlCity

    Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

  • Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omaha
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 22 April 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 21 April 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

View PostDigital Man, on 21 April 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 21 April 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 21 April 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Blue cheese is not yet something I've acquired the taste for, but I keep trying. Some of the funkiest stuff.
Like I said the place is a dive, and the menu has quirks. I never thought it was be a good combination, but it rocks!

Blue cheese is amazing, blue cheese dressing is the best dip for hot wings.

I usually don't dip my wings, the sauce does its job for me. Living in the Midwest means I'm surrounded by ranch dressing too, possibly one of the worst foods ever created.
Me either, I like wings straight - no dipping. I will dip celery in blue cheese or ranch dressing.

Blue cheese was definitely something that took a while for me to develop a taste for. One of my favorite salads that I have ever had was at a restaurant in Milwaukee (which I recreate all the time at home.) Basically mixed greens tossed in a red wine vinaigrette topped with candied walnuts, blue cheese and pear segments poached in red wine and grape juice.

Apart from fruit salads covered in marshmallow fluff, I've yet to find a salad that I enjoy. I've never liked any salad dressing I've tried, and a plate of leaves and watery things just seems so...unsatisfying. So I don't really eat salads. The quest continues...

Sponsored Post

#62 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 69031 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostBowlCity, on 22 April 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 22 April 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 21 April 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

View PostDigital Man, on 21 April 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 21 April 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 21 April 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Blue cheese is not yet something I've acquired the taste for, but I keep trying. Some of the funkiest stuff.
Like I said the place is a dive, and the menu has quirks. I never thought it was be a good combination, but it rocks!

Blue cheese is amazing, blue cheese dressing is the best dip for hot wings.

I usually don't dip my wings, the sauce does its job for me. Living in the Midwest means I'm surrounded by ranch dressing too, possibly one of the worst foods ever created.
Me either, I like wings straight - no dipping. I will dip celery in blue cheese or ranch dressing.

Blue cheese was definitely something that took a while for me to develop a taste for. One of my favorite salads that I have ever had was at a restaurant in Milwaukee (which I recreate all the time at home.) Basically mixed greens tossed in a red wine vinaigrette topped with candied walnuts, blue cheese and pear segments poached in red wine and grape juice.

Apart from fruit salads covered in marshmallow fluff, I've yet to find a salad that I enjoy. I've never liked any salad dressing I've tried, and a plate of leaves and watery things just seems so...unsatisfying. So I don't really eat salads. The quest continues...
Your colon hopes you develop a taste for salad.

#63 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

    Coach Cheesehead

  • Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lost in Xanadu (aka WI)
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 22 April 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 22 April 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 21 April 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

View PostDigital Man, on 21 April 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 21 April 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 21 April 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Blue cheese is not yet something I've acquired the taste for, but I keep trying. Some of the funkiest stuff.
Like I said the place is a dive, and the menu has quirks. I never thought it was be a good combination, but it rocks!

Blue cheese is amazing, blue cheese dressing is the best dip for hot wings.

I usually don't dip my wings, the sauce does its job for me. Living in the Midwest means I'm surrounded by ranch dressing too, possibly one of the worst foods ever created.
Me either, I like wings straight - no dipping. I will dip celery in blue cheese or ranch dressing.

Blue cheese was definitely something that took a while for me to develop a taste for. One of my favorite salads that I have ever had was at a restaurant in Milwaukee (which I recreate all the time at home.) Basically mixed greens tossed in a red wine vinaigrette topped with candied walnuts, blue cheese and pear segments poached in red wine and grape juice.

Apart from fruit salads covered in marshmallow fluff, I've yet to find a salad that I enjoy. I've never liked any salad dressing I've tried, and a plate of leaves and watery things just seems so...unsatisfying. So I don't really eat salads. The quest continues...
Man, you have not had the right salad. I bet if you tried the one I mentioned, you would like it. Well, if you like pears poached in wine and grape juice because that's the main flavor. I also had a great salad in the WI Dells... it was romaine, diced tomatoes and avocado, chopped eggs and bacon with a blue cheese chili garlic dressing.

#64 BowlCity

BowlCity

    Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

  • Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omaha
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 22 April 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 22 April 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 22 April 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 21 April 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

View PostDigital Man, on 21 April 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 21 April 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 21 April 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Blue cheese is not yet something I've acquired the taste for, but I keep trying. Some of the funkiest stuff.
Like I said the place is a dive, and the menu has quirks. I never thought it was be a good combination, but it rocks!

Blue cheese is amazing, blue cheese dressing is the best dip for hot wings.

I usually don't dip my wings, the sauce does its job for me. Living in the Midwest means I'm surrounded by ranch dressing too, possibly one of the worst foods ever created.
Me either, I like wings straight - no dipping. I will dip celery in blue cheese or ranch dressing.

Blue cheese was definitely something that took a while for me to develop a taste for. One of my favorite salads that I have ever had was at a restaurant in Milwaukee (which I recreate all the time at home.) Basically mixed greens tossed in a red wine vinaigrette topped with candied walnuts, blue cheese and pear segments poached in red wine and grape juice.

Apart from fruit salads covered in marshmallow fluff, I've yet to find a salad that I enjoy. I've never liked any salad dressing I've tried, and a plate of leaves and watery things just seems so...unsatisfying. So I don't really eat salads. The quest continues...
Man, you have not had the right salad. I bet if you tried the one I mentioned, you would like it. Well, if you like pears poached in wine and grape juice because that's the main flavor. I also had a great salad in the WI Dells... it was romaine, diced tomatoes and avocado, chopped eggs and bacon with a blue cheese chili garlic dressing.

Yes, the first one you mentioned sounds pretty good.

#65 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

    Ugly Betty is keeping me AWAKE!

  • Members *
  • 20096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Worth, Texas
  • Interests:Family, Sports, Music, Reading, The Outdoors, Ted Nugent

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 20 April 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

I don't discriminate regions when it comes to BBQ, everything's got something to offer, though I generally steer clear of the Southeast coast sauces since they like their mustard based sauces. Yuck. Kansas City has some of my favorite sauces, though. Went to Poppa's BBQ in Bonner Springs, KS for dinner before we saw Rush in Kansas City on the CA Tour.
I like the Southeast coast sauces personally.  Mustard and vinegar based if I'm not mistaken.  I love Texas style but Memphis dry rub ribs are my favorite.  Kansas City is just too sweet for me.  But in the end, I can eat them all.......

#66 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 22 April 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 20 April 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

I don't discriminate regions when it comes to BBQ, everything's got something to offer, though I generally steer clear of the Southeast coast sauces since they like their mustard based sauces. Yuck. Kansas City has some of my favorite sauces, though. Went to Poppa's BBQ in Bonner Springs, KS for dinner before we saw Rush in Kansas City on the CA Tour.
I like the Southeast coast sauces personally.  Mustard and vinegar based if I'm not mistaken.  I love Texas style but Memphis dry rub ribs are my favorite.  Kansas City is just too sweet for me.  But in the end, I can eat them all.......


Yeah,

The dry rub is the best!!! :7up:

#67 BowlCity

BowlCity

    Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

  • Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omaha
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

View Posttroutman, on 22 April 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 22 April 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 20 April 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

I don't discriminate regions when it comes to BBQ, everything's got something to offer, though I generally steer clear of the Southeast coast sauces since they like their mustard based sauces. Yuck. Kansas City has some of my favorite sauces, though. Went to Poppa's BBQ in Bonner Springs, KS for dinner before we saw Rush in Kansas City on the CA Tour.
I like the Southeast coast sauces personally.  Mustard and vinegar based if I'm not mistaken.  I love Texas style but Memphis dry rub ribs are my favorite.  Kansas City is just too sweet for me.  But in the end, I can eat them all.......


Yeah,

The dry rub is the best!!! :7up:

Dry rub it, THEN cover it in sauce :haz: Flavor upon flavor UPON FLAVOR!

#68 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 22 April 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

View Posttroutman, on 22 April 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 22 April 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 20 April 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

I don't discriminate regions when it comes to BBQ, everything's got something to offer, though I generally steer clear of the Southeast coast sauces since they like their mustard based sauces. Yuck. Kansas City has some of my favorite sauces, though. Went to Poppa's BBQ in Bonner Springs, KS for dinner before we saw Rush in Kansas City on the CA Tour.
I like the Southeast coast sauces personally.  Mustard and vinegar based if I'm not mistaken.  I love Texas style but Memphis dry rub ribs are my favorite.  Kansas City is just too sweet for me.  But in the end, I can eat them all.......


Yeah,

The dry rub is the best!!! :7up:

Dry rub it, THEN cover it in sauce :haz: Flavor upon flavor UPON FLAVOR!

I never cover them in sauce,

Not the ones I make. Always on the side. :D

Edited by troutman, 22 April 2015 - 05:36 PM.


#69 BowlCity

BowlCity

    Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

  • Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omaha
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

View Posttroutman, on 22 April 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 22 April 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

View Posttroutman, on 22 April 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 22 April 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 20 April 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

I don't discriminate regions when it comes to BBQ, everything's got something to offer, though I generally steer clear of the Southeast coast sauces since they like their mustard based sauces. Yuck. Kansas City has some of my favorite sauces, though. Went to Poppa's BBQ in Bonner Springs, KS for dinner before we saw Rush in Kansas City on the CA Tour.
I like the Southeast coast sauces personally.  Mustard and vinegar based if I'm not mistaken.  I love Texas style but Memphis dry rub ribs are my favorite.  Kansas City is just too sweet for me.  But in the end, I can eat them all.......


Yeah,

The dry rub is the best!!! :7up:

Dry rub it, THEN cover it in sauce :haz: Flavor upon flavor UPON FLAVOR!

I never cover them in sauce,

Not the ones I make. Always on the side. :D

That works too. But it's just not the same as cooking it down into the meat! :no:

#70 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 22 April 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

View Posttroutman, on 22 April 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 22 April 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

View Posttroutman, on 22 April 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 22 April 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostBowlCity, on 20 April 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

I don't discriminate regions when it comes to BBQ, everything's got something to offer, though I generally steer clear of the Southeast coast sauces since they like their mustard based sauces. Yuck. Kansas City has some of my favorite sauces, though. Went to Poppa's BBQ in Bonner Springs, KS for dinner before we saw Rush in Kansas City on the CA Tour.
I like the Southeast coast sauces personally.  Mustard and vinegar based if I'm not mistaken.  I love Texas style but Memphis dry rub ribs are my favorite.  Kansas City is just too sweet for me.  But in the end, I can eat them all.......


Yeah,

The dry rub is the best!!! :7up:

Dry rub it, THEN cover it in sauce :haz: Flavor upon flavor UPON FLAVOR!

I never cover them in sauce,

Not the ones I make. Always on the side. :D

That works too. But it's just not the same as cooking it down into the meat! :no:

I don't want it to. :lol:

Not the biggest rib person but I love the dry rub all by itself.

#71 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

Has any body tried this? It's called " Better Than Good BBQ Sauce". A brand out of Texas. Pretty good stuff.

#72 BowlCity

BowlCity

    Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

  • Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omaha
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:50 AM

View Posttroutman, on 20 May 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

Has any body tried this? It's called " Better Than Good BBQ Sauce". A brand out of Texas. Pretty good stuff.

I haven't, why is it so damn expensive??? I looked it up on Amazon just now. What's special about it?

#73 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostBowlCity, on 20 May 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

View Posttroutman, on 20 May 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

Has any body tried this? It's called " Better Than Good BBQ Sauce". A brand out of Texas. Pretty good stuff.

I haven't, why is it so damn expensive??? I looked it up on Amazon just now. What's special about it?

Not sure,

When I got home from work this morning. I went to look for some food in the fridge and there it was. My girlfriend bought it. Probably Sams Club. I will ask her when she wakes up. It's really tasty thats for sure.

#74 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

    Coach Cheesehead

  • Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lost in Xanadu (aka WI)
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

Made "gyros" last night. Damn, it's good. I mixed lamb and beef together with some spices (marjoram, oregano, rosemary and garlic) and then made the mix into about a dozen sausage shapes. Put 2 on a skewer and grilled over high heat, rotated them a quarter turn until all sides had a good char. Served with pita bread and cucumber yogurt sauce.... oh, and hummus and veggies.

#75 tx_rush

tx_rush

    I am Cornholio!

  • Members *
  • 5919 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tyler, Texas
  • Interests:playing music, baseball, fishing, hunting

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 20 May 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

Made "gyros" last night. Damn, it's good. I mixed lamb and beef together with some spices (marjoram, oregano, rosemary and garlic) and then made the mix into about a dozen sausage shapes. Put 2 on a skewer and grilled over high heat, rotated them a quarter turn until all sides had a good char. Served with pita bread and cucumber yogurt sauce.... oh, and hummus and veggies.

Not BBQ.....nonetheless awesome!

#76 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

    Freightdreamliner

  • Members *
  • 9055 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aiken, SC, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
  • Interests:Empathy.

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 20 April 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

Bowlcity is the man for starting this thread....just sayin'

I'm a bbq ho...unashamedly.

Texas has it good, as does Memphis and KC. Western NC/East TN has it's own Appalachian thing.

Texas wins most of the time in my book!
Excuse me.  South Carolina is the birthplace of bbq.  We have 4 distinct types of bbq sauce in the state, and people will only eat their sauce.  You got vinegar based, mustard based, tomato based, and ketchup based.  I'll admit, we don't seem to have as many bbq joints as Alabama.  They have as many as they have churches.  Alabama has the white bbq sauce in Decatur.


#77 BowlCity

BowlCity

    Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

  • Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omaha
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

We made these last week.


Posted Image


Bacon crusted ribs. Devil's Spit, beer, and southern comfort make up the sauce, with extra brown sugar and molasses to make the bacon stick better.

This was amazing.

#78 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 24 June 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

We made these last week.


Posted Image


Bacon crusted ribs. Devil's Spit, beer, and southern comfort make up the sauce, with extra brown sugar and molasses to make the bacon stick better.

This was amazing.

Oh yeah! :haz:

#79 That One Guy

That One Guy

    Straight Outta Sunnyvale

  • Members *
  • 29653 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Hiking, guitar, camping, recreational driving, reading, companionship, travel, the occasional videogame

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:35 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 24 June 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

We made these last week.


Posted Image


Bacon crusted ribs. Devil's Spit, beer, and southern comfort make up the sauce, with extra brown sugar and molasses to make the bacon stick better.

This was amazing.
Why can't iiiiii have dinners this amazing?

#80 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

    Ugly Betty is keeping me AWAKE!

  • Members *
  • 20096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Worth, Texas
  • Interests:Family, Sports, Music, Reading, The Outdoors, Ted Nugent

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 24 June 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

We made these last week.


Posted Image


Bacon crusted ribs. Devil's Spit, beer, and southern comfort make up the sauce, with extra brown sugar and molasses to make the bacon stick better.

This was amazing.
Damn!  That looks amazing.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users