The reason they are playing all indoor venues...

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 CaressMySteel

CaressMySteel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 17 April 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

Cool article CMS, thx for sharing. Alot of those outdoor places have unique views, as does Jones which thankfully didn't make the list. People LOVE it here and the acoustics are terrible. But if Rush is there, I'm going!

Now I get why VS raves about Hollywood bowl, its built in side of mountain that keeps the sound in place. At Jones, there goes half the sound on half the world with the wind.

This thread has reminded me of how incredible Radio City R30 light show was. Its a 6,000 seat theatre, small for Rush here. One of the shows we were in first balcony first row, and we were at a perfect 45 degree angle above the stage inn center, but very close compared to a hockey arena. We were literally immersed in the lights and lasers for most of the show. What a trip.

Seeing bands at small venues is always very cool. So, is the other extreme.  Seeing bands perform in front of 80,000-100,000 people is also pretty cool.  Back in the days of the "Texas Jam" we would spend all day at the Cotton Bowl.  Go down front for a band, then go sit in the stands and watch the band and the crowd.  Really wild.

Sponsored Post

#42 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostCaressMySteel, on 17 April 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Ok.  I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I found this article interesting.  

http://www.usatoday....enues/16974221/

USA Today's "top 10 concert venues" includes 7 outdoor venues.  

Just one perspective I know.
Red Rocks is great, some years it opens too soon, and a Spring storm will come in a lower the temperature 40 degrees.
Not fun.
Most shows are awesome there.
A classic write up of a show gone wrong- But was still great at Red Rocks - June, 5, 1983

http://www.atu2.com/...-ago-today.html

#43 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostCaressMySteel, on 17 April 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Ok.  I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I found this article interesting.  

http://www.usatoday....enues/16974221/

USA Today's "top 10 concert venues" includes 7 outdoor venues.  

Just one perspective I know.

There's a reason. Outdoor venues are simply better on average with acoustics and ambiance.

#44 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6467 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:15 PM

Unless you are at a handful of venues that are protected from the wind, or very close to the stage, outdoor acoustics is a fairly well known challenge to performing musicians-

http://www.performin...doorgigging.htm

#45 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:33 PM

I am often close to the stage, and the truth is, as I mentioned, California doesn't really have any bad outdoor venues unless it's a football or baseball stadium or a state fair. :)

The Greek (in Berkeley)
The Greek (in Los Angeles)
Pacific Amphitheatre (Costa Mesa)
Santa Barbara Bowl
Hollywood Bowl
Shoreline Amphitheatre (Mountain View)
Ford Amphitheatre (Los Angeles)
Humphrey's (San Diego)
Mountain Winery (San Jose)
Vina Robles (Paso Robles)
Irvine Meadows (Irvine)
Sleep Train Amp (Chula Vista)

All epic stages with stellar acoustics. Never have had a show go bad 'cause of weather or mosquitos out heeya. :)  Well, I take that back, Irvine, the very same place I'm attending the R40 tour, isn't the best venue, but that's mostly due to demographics specific to the region. ;)  There really isn't a better place to see any band more than the SB Bowl and the Hollywood Bowl in SoCal, Shoreline and the Greek in the Bay Area.

I might be biased. ;)

Conversely, PLENTY of indoor arenas have resulted in grade A clusterfucks because of their classic yet annoying traits of musty madhouse mayhem. :)

Edited by Van Squalen, 17 April 2015 - 09:30 PM.

#46 zac2112

zac2112

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Women with long legs, The quest for my first hole in one, History, Politics, Sports, Music, and the worlds best Vodkas.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

I wondered the same when I saw the tour venues come out. Maybe they simply want to avoid the heat at this point in their careers, its already mid eighties in Fla. They haven't played the ice palace (indoor venue) here in Tampa since Vapor Trails tour. R30, S&A (twice), TM, and CA all played at the outdoor Amp. I prefer outdoor, Amphitheatres are built for concerts, stadiums are built for sports.

#47 WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1825 posts
  • Interests:Mountain biking, kayaking, roller hockey
    Bass guitar, Keys and Drums

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostVan Squalen, on 15 April 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

Good gawd, you fabulous Rush nerds. Indoor venues are NEVER better than outdoor venues! Acoustics ALWAYS are better outdoors, along with the added bonus of not having 20 thousand sweat-mucked morons' vast array of stenches rolling over you for 3 hours. I specifically am going outta my way to hit the Irvine show (an outdoor amp) instead of hitting the very last show on the tour at the Forum. As much as I love the Forum thanks to my intimate and long history with its ambiance, and as much as I'd like to hit the very last Rush date on what may be their last tour, I opted for the second to last date at Irvine BECAUSE it's outdoor instead of indoor.

Special effects are great and all, don't get me wrong. But gimme premium sound and fresh air every time over a sweaty stanky dungeon arena. :)
I agree...You may give up a couple light-show songs until it gets dark (although sunset light does have value)... but the out door sound, especially at Irvine Meadows is superior no doubt. I've got the best of both with Irvine and the Forum on my schedule.

#48 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

I want to see the last show on tour at the Forum too, but....nothing left except scalper prices and nosebleeds....

#49 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

View PostWIDE-ANGLE WATCHER, on 17 April 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

Good gawd, you fabulous Rush nerds. Indoor venues are NEVER better than outdoor venues! Acoustics ALWAYS are better outdoors, along with the added bonus of not having 20 thousand sweat-mucked morons' vast array of stenches rolling over you for 3 hours. I specifically am going outta my way to hit the Irvine show (an outdoor amp) instead of hitting the very last show on the tour at the Forum. As much as I love the Forum thanks to my intimate and long history with its ambiance, and as much as I'd like to hit the very last Rush date on what may be their last tour, I opted for the second to last date at Irvine BECAUSE it's outdoor instead of indoor.

Special effects are great and all, don't get me wrong. But gimme premium sound and fresh air every time over a sweaty stanky dungeon arena. :)
I agree...You may give up a couple light-show songs until it gets dark (although sunset light does have value)... but the out door sound, especially at Irvine Meadows is superior no doubt. I've got the best of both with Irvine and the Forum on my schedule.
Can you guys compare the Forum and Staples Center for us East coast peeps?
If u have been to both for concerts.

#50 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

View PostVan Squalen, on 17 April 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

I want to see the last show on tour at the Forum too, but....nothing left except scalper prices and nosebleeds....
I hope you can find a ticket Van

#51 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6467 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:08 PM

You LA guys are lucky to have so many outdoor venues that are good for sound. SoCal is a cool place, but I'm never convincing my wife to move there, she's made that very clear to me. Retire one day in FL if I'm lucky. We have wind and rain in NY. Wind can be loud, and physically it actually blows the higher range sound waves and distorts the sound, for those not close. Rain blocks vision as well.

If this were the Jones Beach forum instead of TRF, there would be tons of posters shaming me as to how awesome the beach is for concerts ;) The view of the moon reflecting off the ocean from the upper deck during a show is quite unique, but who wants to sit way up there!

It's ironic  CMS' article had MSG ranked high, which does have good acoustics, but Radio City Music Hall (music....) is supposed to be legendary for sound acoustics. It's actually that R30 light show, being center stage in the balcony fully immersed in the LVS lasers, was unreal. The only lights we saw were the lights Rush wanted us to see! Like hallucinating while straight...yeah right... Love reliving that...hehehe... ;)

#52 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:34 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 17 April 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I have been to both for many shows.

It's probably best to compare the Forum in two modes...in its old capacity, and its newly furbished one.

Staples Center is your typical basketball arena. It's in the heart of downtown LA, and I've seen the Stones, Black Eyed Peas, Van Halen, and many others there over the years. As you'd expect with sports arenas, it's cozy, but the reverb echo is perpetually existent and noticeable unless you're up front at the speaker level.

In the old days before Staples opened, the Forum was the main indoor joint of all of Los Angeles and environs. Sometimes it'd get some competition musically from the LA Sports Arena, but most acts hit the Forum. It was and remains entrenched in Inglewood, one of the less gentrified and more urbanized districts in central LA. :) It too suffered from reverb echo and an atrocious mezzanine, lavatory, and concession setup. But it was the place to go for the hard rock. When Staples came in, acts started touring over there instead, 'cause it was nicer and newer. But since Madison Square Garden bought out and took over the Forum, spent six months refurbishing and improving acoustics and sound, it's returned to its former glory and then some. I hit the grand reopening of the Forum opening night with the Eagles last year, and the change was remarkable. Best indoor sound I've ever heard in a 20k arena setting, and I was in the upper bowl. The artists are paying attention, as everyone is now playing back at the Forum...Fleetwood Mac just finished 3 or 4 dates there, I saw Aerosmith and Slash last July, U2's got 5 or 6 dates there in June, and of course we all know Rush is finishing their tour there this year.

So yeah, if you're hitting SoCal for a show, and you have to hit an indoor arena in LA, you want to hit the Forum over all else. But if you have a choice, hit the outdoor Hollywood Bowl venue instead. :)  I still maintain the best Rush show I've ever seen was the '07 Snakes and Arrows date at the Hollywood Bowl.

#53 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 17 April 2015 - 11:08 PM, said:

You LA guys are lucky to have so many outdoor venues that are good for sound.

Agreed. Someday I wanna make the trip to Red Rocks though. Best concert venue, indoor or outdoor, in the entire country by most accredited reports.

#54 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:08 AM

View PostVan Squalen, on 17 April 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

It's probably best to compare the Forum in two modes...in its old capacity, and its newly furbished one.

Staples Center is your typical basketball arena. It's in the heart of downtown LA, and I've seen the Stones, Black Eyed Peas, Van Halen, and many others there over the years. As you'd expect with sports arenas, it's cozy, but the reverb echo is perpetually existent and noticeable unless you're up front at the speaker level.

In the old days before Staples opened, the Forum was the main indoor joint of all of Los Angeles and environs. Sometimes it'd get some competition musically from the LA Sports Arena, but most acts hit the Forum. It was and remains entrenched in Inglewood, one of the less gentrified and more urbanized districts in central LA. :) It too suffered from reverb echo and an atrocious mezzanine, lavatory, and concession setup. But it was the place to go for the hard rock. When Staples came in, acts started touring over there instead, 'cause it was nicer and newer. But since Madison Square Garden bought out and took over the Forum, spent six months refurbishing and improving acoustics and sound, it's returned to its former glory and then some. I hit the grand reopening of the Forum opening night with the Eagles last year, and the change was remarkable. Best indoor sound I've ever heard in a 20k arena setting, and I was in the upper bowl. The artists are paying attention, as everyone is now playing back at the Forum...Fleetwood Mac just finished 3 or 4 dates there, I saw Aerosmith and Slash last July, U2's got 5 or 6 dates there in June, and of course we all know Rush is finishing their tour there this year.

So yeah, if you're hitting SoCal for a show, and you have to hit an indoor arena in LA, you want to hit the Forum over all else. But if you have a choice, hit the outdoor Hollywood Bowl venue instead. :)  I still maintain the best Rush show I've ever seen was the '07 Snakes and Arrows date at the Hollywood Bowl.
:goodone:
Before this tour began we the wife and I were researching Staples.
Main Reason I have a Gazillion Marriott points and I could stay at the one right next door for free.
It was an option, but decided on New Orleans.
2 Free Nights and 2 Days on Bourbon, sign me up.

#55 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:17 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 18 April 2015 - 02:08 AM, said:

View PostVan Squalen, on 17 April 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

:goodone:
Before this tour began we the wife and I were researching Staples.
Main Reason I have a Gazillion Marriott points and I could stay at the one right next door for free.
It was an option, but decided on New Orleans.
2 Free Nights and 2 Days on Bourbon, sign me up.

That Marriott next door is really nice.

You made the right choice in choosing New Orleans, I think. :)

#56 Mieko8

Mieko8

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

I am seeing them in Irvine.  It is outdoors.

#57 Self-Indulgence

Self-Indulgence

The Professor

• Members
  • 4622 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:41 PM

The Forum show will sound better I think. Irvine's a great place if you're in the orchestra or first 10 rows of the loge. The Forum can hold a larger stage. Irvine's is fixed.

#58 timhorton

timhorton

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

If they play outdoors, the wind may blow the dry ice off the stage when they play the full version of Xanadu

#59 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6467 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:21 PM

View Posttimhorton, on 20 April 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

If they play outdoors, the wind may blow the dry ice off the stage when they play the full version of Xanadu

And an eagle may poop open the amps during Fly By Night.

#60 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:44 PM

View PostGabrielgil513, on 20 April 2015 - 10:21 PM, said:

View Posttimhorton, on 20 April 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

And an eagle may poop open the amps during Fly By Night.

How is pooping open done? :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users