The Worst - Round Seventeen

Lorraine

38 members have voted

1. 1. What is(are) the worst song(s) on Snakes & Arrows?

• Far Cry
    • Armor and Sword
    • Workin Them Angels
    • The Larger Bowl
    • Spindrift
    • The Main Monkey Business
    • The Way The Wind Blows
    • Hope
    • Faithless
    • Bravest Face
    • Good News First
    • Malignant Narcissism
    • We Hold On

Why do so many dislike We Hold On? Just curious what it is about the song you don't like.

:huh: I don't know. I like that one.

I can tell you what I don't like about it. The dweedley dweedley guitar during the chorus is really annoying.

Agreed. I despise that in almost any song. Yuck. Give it a rest. Every millisecond doesn't need to be filled with something...

Yes exactly. They could have done a lot to trim the fat on this album. It has good bones but they overproduced it.

At least the next one... Oh wait. Never mind... :)

Why do so many dislike We Hold On? Just curious what it is about the song you don't like.

I can tell you what I don't like about it. The dweedley dweedley guitar during the chorus is really annoying.

Agreed. I despise that in almost any song. Yuck. Give it a rest. Every millisecond doesn't need to be filled with something...

Yes exactly. They could have done a lot to trim the fat on this album. It has good bones but they overproduced it.

At least the next one... Oh wait. Never mind... :)

Yeah I think that Nick guy must be deaf rather than hard of hearing.

• Like 2

That's when everyone but Narps was standing up and clapping. :LOL:

Yep and there were some dudes sitting right in front of me and my son talking about the brilliance of the album and how nuanced it is and so on and so forth. Typical Rush nerds. My son did his best to try to keep me interested during that brutal period but I just couldn't. Then some familiar tunes started to be played and Natural Science was glorious... :)
  • Like 2

Yep and there were some dudes sitting right in front of me and my son talking about the brilliance of the album and how nuanced it is and so on and so forth. Typical Rush fanatics. My son did his best to try to keep me interested during that brutal period but I just couldn't. Then some familiar tunes started to be played and Natural Science was glorious... :)

I changed one word.

• Like 1

Didn't you like The Byrds? We Hold On reminds me a lot of Eight Miles High in parts - the guitar I mean.

They were kind of before my time. I'm not real familiar with any of their songs.

They had a very distinctly '60s sound. And the guitars...the best way I can describe them is "chiming". They chimed.

Didn't you like The Byrds? We Hold On reminds me a lot of Eight Miles High in parts - the guitar I mean.

They were kind of before my time. I'm not real familiar with any of their songs.

They had a very distinctly '60s sound. And the guitars...the best way I can describe them is "chiming". They chimed.

Chiming is a little different than dweedling. Not as obnoxious.

I wouldn't say it was a distinct sixties sound as much as it was unique.

In any event, there is a guitar part part here and there in We Hold On that reminds me of parts of Eight Miles High, and I have always wondered if Alex was in any way influenced by The Byrds when he wrote it.

So, when you all see him this tour, ask him. Tell him Lorraine wants to know.

Edited by Lorraine

Yep and there were some dudes sitting right in front of me and my son talking about the brilliance of the album and how nuanced it is and so on and so forth. Typical Rush fanatics. My son did his best to try to keep me interested during that brutal period but I just couldn't. Then some familiar tunes started to be played and Natural Science was glorious... :)

I changed one word.

Found. These guys were nerds though. Reminded me of myself... :LOL:

In any event, there is a guitar part part here and there in We Hold On that reminds me of parts of Eight Miles High, and I have always wondered if Alex was in any way influenced by The Byrds when he wrote it.

I'll try to find it on YouTube and see If I can tell what you're talking about.

Good.

If you find it, post it here.

Voted like a Chicagoan on this one, 11 votes, all except Far Cry (which is still overrated, but not sucking is enough to avoid a vote on this POS) and MalNar.

Good.

I found it. I think I know what you're talking about. As soon as I heard the song I thought, that's a Rickenbacker guitar, and turns out I was right. They have a very distinctive tone. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J74ttSR8lEg

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

We still have a tie - 12/12. :(

Both richly deserve it. Leave Circumstances, Different Strings and Vital Signs off and put these two dogs on the final list.

• Like 3

We still have a tie - 12/12. :(

Both richly deserve it. Leave Circumstances, Different Strings and Vital Signs off and put these two dogs on the final list.

:goodone: Amen to that... :notworthy:
  • Like 2

Good.

I found it. I think I know what you're talking about. As soon as I heard the song I thought, that's a Rickenbacker guitar, and turns out I was right. They have a very distinctive tone. :)

I can't, as everyone already knows, listen to this, but from memory, the guitar sound I'm talking about occurs at the beginning of the song. Other times too, but I know for sure at the beginning.

If you put on We Hold On, you will hear something similar at :40 and then again at around 2:30 especially at 2:45.

Good.

In parts it has that "James Bond Theme Song" sound to it too. Especially the beginning. I believe that was Johnny Rivers if I am not mistaken...

In any event, I really do like We Hold On, and it is primarily for that reason - that it reminds me of The Byrds. I don't think Alex ever played the guitar like that before that song. And we know he hasn't since.

Good.

In parts it has that "James Bond Theme Song" sound to it too. Especially the beginning. I believe that was Johnny Rivers if I am not mistaken...

Goldfinnnnnnger! :D

• Like 1

This album I think sucks. I really do not like it at all.

It has no personality, which is odd for a Rush album.

Mick, what say you?

:popcorn:

What say i........that came from a guy who called Lady gaga Um.........A LEGEND.

I rest my case.

lol

Mick

He what??? :o :o :o

Did he really call her a legend??? :o

I AM A PEDANTIC PERSON!

AND IF I SAID THAT I TAKE IT BAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCK

Mick, what say you?

What say i........that came from a guy who called Lady gaga Um.........A LEGEND.

I rest my case.

lol

Mick

I AM A PEDANTIC PERSON!

to late it's in the forum's collective mind.

anything you say or do will.........be mocked, lol

but we wuv you :hug2:

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Mick, what say you?

I rest my case.

lol

Mick

I AM A PEDANTIC PERSON!

Now I have to go look up "pedantic". Thanks as if I haven't enough to do already... :)