Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson Talk ‘R40′, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Future of Rush

Jag2112

I was in the building for the actual ceremony. I noticed that at the beginning of the night, when Jann Wenner came on stage to welcome everyone, he was greeted by resounding boos, obviously from the Rush fans. That part didn’t make the HBO broadcast!

Lifeson: I guess a lot of people enjoyed that moment. What blew us away was when he introduced the inductees. H saved us for last, and he said, “And from Toronto, Canada…,” and the place—you were there, you heard it—it blew up. It was unbelievable. And that wasn’t lost on Jann either. We were holding back tears. It was incredible, I’ll never, ever, ever forget that moment.

Lee: We all teared up at that moment, it was quite something to see. It became apparent pretty quickly that a large portion of the audience was there for us; it was a Rush crowd that night. But that moment took us as much by surprise as it did Jann. We really didn’t think a lot about what we were going to experience that night. We had no idea of the magnitude of the moment. It’s a moment that I’ll always remember.

That must have been incredible. Can you imagine what it must be like knowing you are so well loved by thousands?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KLuYXT6QMU

:haz: :rush:

That intro is so EPIC! Dude, I was there with my wife. IT WAS INFUCKINGCREDIBLE! The chills down my spine. The few tears in my eyes during that ending part. The place went NUTS!

It was truly one of the greatest nights of my life!

Rush Geek Forever!

That must have been awesome! :haz: :ebert:

• Like 2

I was in the building for the actual ceremony. I noticed that at the beginning of the night, when Jann Wenner came on stage to welcome everyone, he was greeted by resounding boos, obviously from the Rush fans. That part didn’t make the HBO broadcast!

Lifeson: I guess a lot of people enjoyed that moment. What blew us away was when he introduced the inductees. H saved us for last, and he said, “And from Toronto, Canada…,” and the place—you were there, you heard it—it blew up. It was unbelievable. And that wasn’t lost on Jann either. We were holding back tears. It was incredible, I’ll never, ever, ever forget that moment.

Lee: We all teared up at that moment, it was quite something to see. It became apparent pretty quickly that a large portion of the audience was there for us; it was a Rush crowd that night. But that moment took us as much by surprise as it did Jann. We really didn’t think a lot about what we were going to experience that night. We had no idea of the magnitude of the moment. It’s a moment that I’ll always remember.

That must have been incredible. Can you imagine what it must be like knowing you are so well loved by thousands?

That intro is so EPIC! Dude, I was there with my wife. IT WAS INFUCKINGCREDIBLE! The chills down my spine. The few tears in my eyes during that ending part. The place went NUTS!

Rush Geek Forever!

That must have been awesome! :haz: :ebert:

It's too bad they didn't catch the booing on video too. :LOL: Would have loved to have heard that.

• Like 1

That video is incredible...(I can't believe it's the first time I'm getting around to seeing this)!

As awesome as the response from the entire crowd was...they know the love their fans have for them.

What I find incredibly cool from the video was seeing guys like Dave Grohl, Chad Smith, and Tom Morello going crazy and the elation and genuine happiness on their faces!

That must be an incredible feeling to see the passion and love that their own peers have for their work. Just awesome. :haz:

Great to see them recognized at last.Great to see their wives.Alex seems to have more hair.

Rush Geek Forever!

I wish I had been there. You are so very very very fortunate, Earl.

Love that video! I like Ann Wilson's reaction when whats-is-name refers to most of her band as a "back up band".

And the wives' reaction to the attention. Priceless!

I think the wives' reaction, particularly Geddy's wife, was genuinely priceless. In the case of both Alex and Geddy, their wives endured everything the band endured for 40+ years. Likewise, Neil's wife may be "new" to the gig, but she has made her own sacrifices for her husband. The husbands may have played off the negative media attention, but the wives knew better. They took it to heart (and knew their husbands were stung by all the negativity, as well), especially since they made their own personal and family sacrifices while the band recorded and toured. I am certain the crowd's reaction was, in many, many ways, meaningful for the wives. For them to hear that roar... to know their husbands were very much so appreciated by so many... to know their sacrifices were not in vain and that their sacrifices brought great joy to so many others.... it had to have been powerful. Beside (not behind) every great man stands a great woman. The wives were validated, just as much as their husbands, that night.

A man after my own heart.

Their wives deserve more awards than they do.

Love that video! I like Ann Wilson's reaction when whats-is-name refers to most of her band as a "back up band".

And the wives' reaction to the attention. Priceless!

I think the wives' reaction, particularly Geddy's wife, was genuinely priceless. In the case of both Alex and Geddy, their wives endured everything the band endured for 40+ years. Likewise, Neil's wife may be "new" to the gig, but she has made her own sacrifices for her husband. The husbands may have played off the negative media attention, but the wives knew better. They took it to heart (and knew their husbands were stung by all the negativity, as well), especially since they made their own personal and family sacrifices while the band recorded and toured. I am certain the crowd's reaction was, in many, many ways, meaningful for the wives. For them to hear that roar... to know their husbands were very much so appreciated by so many... to know their sacrifices were not in vain and that their sacrifices brought great joy to so many others.... it had to have been powerful. Beside (not behind) every great man stands a great woman. The wives were validated, just as much as their husbands, that night.

Beautifully put. The video gave me chills and was very emotional and then I read this post and it gave me chills as well. It just feels as validation for all the hours spent in my bedroom way back then listening and knowing that this is something different and special. To heck with all the folks I knew back then that said it wasn't.... :cheers:
  • Like 4

That video is incredible...(I can't believe it's the first time I'm getting around to seeing this)!

As awesome as the response from the entire crowd was...they know the love their fans have for them.

What I find incredibly cool from the video was seeing guys like Dave Grohl, Chad Smith, and Tom Morello going crazy and the elation and genuine happiness on their faces!

That must be an incredible feeling to see the passion and love that their own peers have for their work. Just awesome. :haz:

I definitely dug the fact Morello stood up for Rush. He was more primarily there for Public Enemy, but he had some very nice things to say about Rush after the induction. The quote on another thread from Sebadoh's lead guy (the one about the three greatest musicians in the world being in one band) is actually a modification of something Morello said regarding Rush at the RRHOF Induction. Rage, in general, seems to have a high degree of respect for Rush. Along with Morello's words, you have Commerford in Beyond the Lighted Stage, and Zack Dela Rocha apparently has had a say in Rage occasionally covering Working Man live.

Chad Smith, like any drummer with half a brain cell, gets Peart is good, I am sure.

The one that I don't totally buy, though, is Grohl. I will admit that I like the fact Grohl has come out in favor of Rush and I think he and Hawkins have done a nice job of playing tribute, but until very recently all of Grohl's musical love seemed to be directed at Jon Bonham. Grohl just strikes me as a musical opportunist. I don't doubt he had some love for Rush prior, but I find it awfully suspicious that his public accolades came after Colber, I Love You Man, the documentary, etc. But maybe he was just living in the Rush closet for a long time. Maybe he realized it was safe to come out...

Regardless, I totally agree that it was very cool to see some well known musicians give it up for Rush along with the fans.

I definitely dug the fact Morello stood up for Rush. He was more primarily there for Public Enemy, but he had some very nice things to say about Rush after the induction. The quote on another thread from Sebadoh's lead guy (the one about the three greatest musicians in the world being in one band) is actually a modification of something Morello said regarding Rush at the RRHOF Induction. Rage, in general, seems to have a high degree of respect for Rush. Along with Morello's words, you have Commerford in Beyond the Lighted Stage, and Zack Dela Rocha apparently has had a say in Rage occasionally covering Working Man live.

Chad Smith, like any drummer with half a brain cell, gets Peart is good, I am sure.

The one that I don't totally buy, though, is Grohl. I will admit that I like the fact Grohl has come out in favor of Rush and I think he and Hawkins have done a nice job of playing tribute, but until very recently all of Grohl's musical love seemed to be directed at Jon Bonham. Grohl just strikes me as a musical opportunist. I don't doubt he had some love for Rush prior, but I find it awfully suspicious that his public accolades came after Colber, I Love You Man, the documentary, etc. But maybe he was just living in the Rush closet for a long time. Maybe he realized it was safe to come out...

Regardless, I totally agree that it was very cool to see some well known musicians give it up for Rush along with the fans.

I think Taylor Hawkins is the big Rush fan, and Dave is just coming along for the ride.

• Like 1

They're definitely gonna play Fly By NIght, Cinderella Man and the Necromancer!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's definite, you heard him!! It HAPPENING!! :haz: :clap: :ebert: :yay: :banana: :hi:

NO NOT THE NECROMANCER

DO ALL PARTS OF FEAR INSTEAD

The opposite of this, please.

I think Taylor Hawkins is the big Rush fan, and Dave is just coming along for the ride.

I'm not so sure. There's some evidence that Dave's a big Lerxst fan.

Also being a drummer at heart, I doubt Dave doesn't have lots of love for Neil.

• Like 1

I suspect that as a drummer, Grohl has always at least greatly respected Rush. I'm watching his series on HBO, now, and he seems like someone who is passionate about a lot of very disparate types of musicians.

I suspect that as a drummer, Grohl has always at least greatly respected Rush. I'm watching his series on HBO, now, and he seems like someone who is passionate about a lot of very disparate types of musicians.

Just from the interviews I've seen, Taylor seems the most enthusiastic. I don't mean to say that Dave doesn't like Rush, but I think Taylor is the bigger fan.

Just from the interviews I've seen, Taylor seems the most enthusiastic. I don't mean to say that Dave doesn't like Rush, but I think Taylor is the bigger fan.

I think you might be right. And, again, I don't doubt that Grohl had a degree of respect for Rush or that he is/was a fan on some level. I just question the timing of his blatant Rush fandom. Either way, if he did really just jump on the bandwagon, it only helped the band achieve a higher level of notoriety.... but we all know that those of us who have been driving the wagon for decades sometimes roll our eyes at the late comers who are old enough to know better. :bitchslap:

I think you might be right. And, again, I don't doubt that Grohl had a degree of respect for Rush or that he is/was a fan on some level. I just question the timing of his blatant Rush fandom. Either way, if he did really just jump on the bandwagon, it only helped the band achieve a higher level of notoriety.... but we all know that those of us who have been driving the wagon for decades sometimes roll our eyes at the late comers who are old enough to know better. :bitchslap:

Well I think this is just come to light since the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction.

what can dave grohl possibly hope to gain by "jumping on the rush bandwagon"?

Anytime his name is mentioned, or his band, it's publicity.

he collaborated with cronos, wino, eric wagner and a bunch of others you guys haven't heard of and got no publicity for it.

he collaborated with cronos, wino, eric wagner and a bunch of others you guys haven't heard of and got no publicity for it.

"Mentioned" as in a media source. The R&RHoF induction was a big deal to a lot of people, so therefore was a larger media event. So more publicity.

The rule became: You had to go out and buy an instrument that you couldn’t really play and bring it to the jam. I got an accordion in a pawn shop, and a flute. “Ler” [Primus guitarist Larry LaLonde] had a clarinet, Les played drums—everybody just tried other things, and it was a riot. We taped these, and I have no idea what happened to those recordings! There was a really good one in Berlin, we jammed in the back parking lot area. There are some cool pictures from that.

Anybody here seen any of those pictures?