"A Farewell To Kings" Question (for those of you who were around when it came out)

Lorraine

Aerosmith

Peter Frampton

Renaissance

Kansas

Foreigner

That's who I was listening to. Maybe some others that I can't think of right now.

In '77 I was listening to lots of

Rush

Foreigner

Judas Priest

Ted Nugent

Triumph

Nazareth

April Wine (Live at the El Mocabo -- I love that album to this day!)

Blue Oyster Cult

Montrose

Edit: and how could I have forgotten Pink Floyd!

Nice list. For me 1977......

Rush

Yes

AC/DC

JP

Scorpions

UFO

Pat Travers Band

Triumph

Journey

Budgie

Led Zep

Nothing remotely popular at all except for Zep. Hey its the same as I listen to today... :codger: :)

Oops forgot Moxy

Forgot those as well!

• Like 1

It was quite a big deal in England. My big brother & his friends were all over it at the time of its release. I was too young though.

I also remember it getting a good deal of coverage in the music press too (Sounds etc). My brother's circle all read that stuff & talked about it all the time.

So yes, as I recall it made quite an impression over here.

Well what the hell is wrong with us Americans? I'll blame it on WNEW FM and Scott Muni and Allison Steele for not alerting me to this album. :rage: Can't forget Jonathan Schwartz either. Him and his bootleg albums. He was always getting in trouble for playing them on the air. :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine

It was quite a big deal in England. My big brother & his friends were all over it at the time of its release. I was too young though.

I also remember it getting a good deal of coverage in the music press too (Sounds etc). My brother's circle all read that stuff & talked about it all the time.

Well what the hell is wrong with us Americans? I'll blame it on WNEW FM and Scott Muni and Allison Steele for not alerting me to this album. :rage:

Stern used to talk about them all the time. He was not a fan....

Well what the hell is wrong with us Americans? I'll blame it on WNEW FM and Scott Muni and Allison Steele for not alerting me to this album. :rage:

Stern used to talk about them all the time. He was not a fan....

He was just jealous of Geddy's nose. That's why he didn't like them.

• Like 3

Not to nitpick my brother but I was with you till AC/DC. I was a huge fan of theirs to in 1977 and was wearing out everything from LTBR back on my turntable. When Highway To Hell came out it got a little play but of course not until Back In Black did anybody seemingly but me know who they were. Just how I remember it. They were hated or at least ignored by my recollection...... :)

They were a somewhat popular band in my school around that time. I think they toured with Van Halen around '77 or '78 and that may have put them on the radar in my neck of the woods, but yeah, nothing like their explosive popularity following BiB.

I was in high school in the late 70s and remember AC/DC fondly from those days. I remember the song "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" would get played on the radio, but it was an import only release here and I didn't have it myself. Then Bon Scott died and the band has never been the same since. BiB just wasn't the same :(

Not to nitpick my brother but I was with you till AC/DC. I was a huge fan of theirs to in 1977 and was wearing out everything from LTBR back on my turntable. When Highway To Hell came out it got a little play but of course not until Back In Black did anybody seemingly but me know who they were. Just how I remember it. They were hated or at least ignored by my recollection...... :)

They were a somewhat popular band in my school around that time. I think they toured with Van Halen around '77 or '78 and that may have put them on the radar in my neck of the woods, but yeah, nothing like their explosive popularity following BiB.

I was in high school in the late 70s and remember AC/DC fondly from those days. I remember the song "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" would get played on the radio, but it was an import only release here and I didn't have it myself. Then Bon Scott died and the band has never been the same since. BiB just wasn't the same :(

Agreed. Just my opinion and most probably won't agree but the band I loved died when he did. I bought BiB and listened to it and "liked" it. It or anything since will never replace my love for the Bon AC/DC sound and recordings of the 70's.... :codger: :sigh:
  • Like 1

Like Narpski, AFTK was the "new" Rush album when I first got into the band and like Narpski, outside my circle of friends I had no idea if anyone else even knew who Rush was. Rush certainly wasn't getting much in the way of airplay back then. In those days FM radio was in love with bands like Nazareth, ZZ Top, Queen, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Foreigner, STYX, Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Kiss (but pretty much only Beth or Rock and Roll All Night) -- all great bands, mind you, but none that sounded anything like Rush in their heyday. You might hear Rush at late night, but it was almost always In The Mood back then.

I'm with you guys. AFTK was the first new Rush release that came out after I got into 2112 and ATWAS. My buddy and I rode our bikes to a record store called Licorice Pizza and picked it up the day it came out. There was no airplay so we had no idea what to expect. Needless to say we were a little confused upon first listen, but we sat in his room and played it over and over and eventually were freaking out on how awesome it was, especially Xanadu. Some of our other friends that were into 2112 and ATWAS weren't getting it.

A few months later, we had our minds blown watching them perform it live from the 8th row at the Santa Monica Civic. Definitely some good memories.

• Like 4

Like Narpski, AFTK was the "new" Rush album when I first got into the band and like Narpski, outside my circle of friends I had no idea if anyone else even knew who Rush was. Rush certainly wasn't getting much in the way of airplay back then. In those days FM radio was in love with bands like Nazareth, ZZ Top, Queen, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Foreigner, STYX, Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Kiss (but pretty much only Beth or Rock and Roll All Night) -- all great bands, mind you, but none that sounded anything like Rush in their heyday. You might hear Rush at late night, but it was almost always In The Mood back then.

I'm with you guys. AFTK was the first new Rush release that came out after I got into 2112 and ATWAS. My buddy and I rode our bikes to a record store called Licorice Pizza and picked it up the day it came out. There was no airplay so we had no idea what to expect. Needless to say we were a little confused upon first listen, but we sat in his room and played it over and over and eventually were freaking out on how awesome it was, especially Xanadu. Some of our other friends that were into 2112 and ATWAS weren't getting it.

A few months later, we had our minds blown watching them perform it live from the 8th row at the Santa Monica Civic. Definitely some good memories.

"a record store called Licorice Pizza...."

Ah, those were the days...

• Like 2

I'm impressed. And jealous.

I'll just add this to my already long list of life's regrets:

#2112. Having discovered A Farewell To Kings thirty five years after it made its debut due to negligent FM disc jockeys in the Big Apple. [Check]

There was a clothing store in the East Village across the street from the Fillmore called The Naked Grape.

Yes, those were the days. :LOL:

• Like 1

you ain't kiddin'

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zUKAZsPQn-w/UinlEi0v8UI/AAAAAAAAA8E/FddkungMx2Q/s1600/licorice_pizza.jpg

• Like 4

When I listened to it today on my walk I realized some of the reasons I loved it so much then and still do to this day. The bass tone/sound and clarity is so appealing and pleasant to the ear. Ged's voice is right in the zone. Perfect sound and pitch. His wail is at its incredible best. Gives me goosebumps still. I may be in the minority but the title track and Cinderella Man were always my favorites and still are....
  • Like 2

When I listened to it today on my walk I realized some of the reasons I loved it so much then and still do to this day. The bass tone/sound and clarity is so appealing and pleasant to the ear. Ged's voice is right in the zone. Perfect sound and pitch. His wail is at its incredible best. Gives me goosebumps still. I may be in the minority but the title track and Cinderella Man were always my favorites and still are....

:yes: for me it's probably tied with Moving PIctures as my favorite Rush album.

:yes: for me it's probably tied with Moving PIctures as my favorite Rush album.

My favorite studio album for sure and most special. My favorite all time album by them or anyone is pictured below in my signature. The first album I ever bought and still the best to date. The one next to it ain't bad either... :haz:

What amazes me is that they could write such beautiful music so early in their career.

For a large chunk of people, they only made beautiful music early in their career.

Yes, I know. There are a few of them here. Now I understand what they have been talking about.

What amazes me is that they could write such beautiful music so early in their career.

For a large chunk of people, they made their best beautiful music early in their career.

Fixed... :)
  • Like 1

Another thing. For all of the fancy and sophisticated technology today, this old album has better sound than CA.

This was something that also stood out in my listen today. Nobody can tell me (or convince me anyway) that CA or VT or anything halfway recent sounds as good as those "older" recordings. Whatever they were doing then, bravo and now... no thanks. The old sound was clear as a bell and every sound and instrument crystal clear and concise.... :codger:
  • Like 6

I hear ya. AFtK is my second fave Rush album, a very close second to Permanent Waves (which was the first album of theirs I heard). And the title track is spectacular. The lyrics are especially meaningful in today's world:

"When they turn the pages of history

When these days have passed long ago

Will they read of us with sadness

For the seeds that we let grow?"

"Cities full of hatred, fear and lies

Withered hearts and cruel, tormented eyes

Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise

Beating down the multitude and

Scoffing at the wise"

I envy you people who heard AFtK when it came out—you've had more time with it than I have :)

• Like 2

I hear ya. AFtK is my second fave Rush album, a very close second to Permanent Waves (which was the first album of theirs I heard). And the title track is spectacular. The lyrics are especially meaningful in today's world:

Scoffing at the wise"

I envy you people who heard AFtK when it came out—you've had more time with it than I have :)

Thanks for the timely lyrics.

Rush was ahead of their time in more ways than one.

• Like 1

Scoffing at the wise"

Thanks for the timely lyrics.

Rush was ahead of their time in more ways than one.

Reading that gave me some serious freak'in chills. Thanks for that post. Very timely indeed.... :rose:

• Like 2

scheherazade's one of the best prog albums

ashes are burning and turn of the cards are great too

Dude knows his sh*t..... :cheers:
  • Like 2

scheherazade's one of the best prog albums

ashes are burning and turn of the cards are great too

Dude knows his sh*t..... :cheers:

That little Annie could sing. I used to try and belt out the songs with her, especially Mother Russia, one of my favorites.

• Like 1