Dread Pirate Robert

Avast and belay, ye scurvy dogs!

• Members *
  • 19858 posts
  • Location:Sailing on the High Seas or drinking in a tavern in Port Royale
  • Interests:Plundering, Drinking, Wenching

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostDel_Duio, on 20 February 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

The opener was awesome, the only thing is that for me it's really hard to rate any single episode as they're all really just a small part of a bigger picture.

Note to self: When lining your forces up, don't divide them up on either side of a giant lake. I know they were technically 2 different armies but that was a tactical blunder and a half.

And now the larger part on the other side of the river gets to reflect on the incredible ferocity they have just witnessed, and imagine going up against it themselves . . . .Can you hear the sound of militia quaking in their boots?  Can you smell the piss as some of them wet themselves?

Edited by Closer to the Heart, 20 February 2015 - 04:18 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9882 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

View PostCloser to the Heart, on 20 February 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 30 July 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

Ragnar, Lagertha and Floki are my favorite characters.

Those are all from season one.

What about favorite characters that were added later?

Mine is Ecbert, the King of Wessex.   He is really the only other character in the show that is a match for Ragnar on the  level of shrewd long term Big Picture thinking.  

He obviously has good taste in women as well, being all "infatuated" with Lagertha ;)

Those are still my favorite characters. Ecbert hasn't done anything for me yet but you bring up a good point there with him being the only one on the same level of power as Ragnar right now. Him being infatuated with Lagertha is only natural for any straight male. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the males she rules over don't have a secret crush on her.

Very good season opener and once again another great battle scene. I think the forces guarding both shorelines actually was the best defense strategy they could've come up with. If they left one of the shorelines unprotected then the Vikings could have easily got onto their land. The thing they didn't expect was for the Vikings to charge one of the armies and take the fight right to them. I think they thought they could deter an attack by standing strong on both sides. But as we know, the Vikings were some of the most ferocious, brutal yet skilled fighters to ever exist and they were not going to turn down a battle like that.

#43 Dread Pirate Robert

Dread Pirate Robert

• Members *
  • 19858 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:37 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 20 February 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

Very good season opener and once again another great battle scene. I think the forces guarding both shorelines actually was the best defense strategy they could've come up with. If they left one of the shorelines unprotected then the Vikings could have easily got onto their land. The thing they didn't expect was for the Vikings to charge one of the armies and take the fight right to them. I think they thought they could deter an attack by standing strong on both sides. But as we know, the Vikings were some of the most ferocious, brutal yet skilled fighters to ever exist and they were not going to turn down a battle like that.

Yeah, two different forces being raised to meet the attack, meeting at the river from different directions to block the attack, assuming that the massive show of force would stop the intruders from penetrating into Mercia (even perhaps make them just turn around and run away).   They did not reckon upon the ferocity of the invaders, nor the quick minded decisiveness of Ragnar, who surveyed the situation in a few seconds and then formulated an appropriate plan to kick ass.

#44 H. P. L.

H. P. L.

Italy's High Protecter of Pooh

• Members *
  • 3081 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

A very good episode, I truly enjoyed it. I love restless Floki, he's probably the best charachter, and I also love the fact that they have Ragnar talking more. During the 2nd season he would just STARE and you'd think he'd gone nuts. But that probably was the point of the authors.
I always find it takes a lot of piss off the English. They are always made to look like amateurs in military things, while the Vikings are these savage Wolverines. Coming from History Channell, I suppose there's some research in that, it's just that I never imagined ancient english rulers would be so clueless from a strategic PoW.

#45 Dread Pirate Robert

Dread Pirate Robert

• Members *
  • 19858 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:54 PM

View PostH. P. L., on 21 February 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

A very good episode, I truly enjoyed it. I love restless Floki, he's probably the best charachter, and I also love the fact that they have Ragnar talking more. During the 2nd season he would just STARE and you'd think he'd gone nuts. But that probably was the point of the authors.
I always find it takes a lot of piss off the English. They are always made to look like amateurs in military things, while the Vikings are these savage Wolverines. Coming from History Channell, I suppose there's some research in that, it's just that I never imagined ancient english rulers would be so clueless from a strategic PoW.

Well, historically, the English were slow to adapt to the new threat of the Vikings.   The Vikings were a new force suddenly on the scene, and the Anglo-Saxons were not familiar with the tactics or approach of the Vikings at all.  This shouldn't be all that suprising, once understood in the context of the times.

The Viking Longship, by itself, was something the English were not used to dealing with.  Remember the scene from earlier in the series when some English guy, (I forget exactly who, one of the kings, I think) comments about the new factor of a ship that can cross the ocean AND handle inland rivers equally well?(the warships of our modern era can do no such thing)

In the scene in the last episode, the Mercians had never encountered the Vikings before.  The Vikings had raided Northumbria, and then Wessex, but this was their first raid into the separate Anglo Saxon kingdom of Mercia.  The Mercians simply did not know what to expect from the foreigners.

As history shows (actual history spoiler) , however, the Anglo Saxons did indeed eventually adapt to the Viking tactics.

Remember, also, however, that it was never entirely one sided in the Vikings favor even at the beginning of the Viking raids on England.  The series reflects this, as in late second season defeat of the Viking force lead by Ragnar, Horrick, and Lagertha by the combined forces of Aelle and Ecbert.  

The series is not portraying the English as being incompetent in warfare, just as being unprepared for the style of warfare that the Vikings bring to them.

It is doing so well, imo.

Edited by Closer to the Heart, 25 February 2015 - 10:55 PM.

#46 Dread Pirate Robert

Dread Pirate Robert

• Members *
  • 19858 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

Last nights episode was . ..  different.

Not sure what to make of some of it.

#47 Dread Pirate Robert

Dread Pirate Robert

• Members *
  • 19858 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

I am sad to say that, imo, the series has seemed to have lost focus over the last episodes.   I hope that they correct this.

#48 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9882 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, the last few episodes have been a little off pace. It certainly hasn't jumped the shark yet. I'm sure it will get back on the right track.

Edited by J2112YYZ, 13 March 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#49 Dread Pirate Robert

Dread Pirate Robert

• Members *
  • 19858 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 13 March 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

Yeah, the last few episodes have been a little off pace. It certainly hasn't jumped the shark yet. I'm sure it will get back on the right track.

I hope so.

Been disappointed in the series lately.

#50 Dread Pirate Robert

Dread Pirate Robert

• Members *
  • 19858 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

Anyway, Siggy is dead (not that was a source of big disappointment, because it wasn't).  She went out a heroine, saving two of Ragnar's young sons.

I suppose we are meant to be left wondering whether the Wanderer really was just a mortal or something more than that . . .

Edited by Closer to the Heart, 13 March 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#51 Dread Pirate Robert

Dread Pirate Robert

• Members *
  • 19858 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

In further commentary, Gwenfrith, or however you spell her name, is clearly a pycho bitch from hell.

#52 Dread Pirate Robert

Dread Pirate Robert

• Members *
  • 19858 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

Well, King Ecbert turns out to be conniving scheming backstabbing scum.

#53 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9882 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

After a few strange episodes, they got back to what makes them good in last weeks episode. I never thought much of Ecbert before this season but he's become a very good character. Burning down the Viking settlement and killing everyone is revenge for Lagertha turning him down. I don't know what else Ecbert had to do to win Lagertha over but he did everything he could and she still turned him down.

Once Ragnar finds out what happened, shit will be on.

Edited by J2112YYZ, 26 March 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#54 Dread Pirate Robert

Dread Pirate Robert

• Members *
  • 19858 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

Surprised at Athelstan being killed off.   I had assumed he was going to be around in the series for a lot longer . . .

Oh, and, glad I am not a woman guilty of adultery in Saxon England . . . Ouch.

Edited by Closer to the Heart, 27 March 2015 - 02:58 PM.

#55 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

Freightdreamliner

• Members *
  • 8725 posts
  • Interests:Empathy.

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

View PostCloser to the Heart, on 27 March 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

Surprised at Athelstan being killed off.   I had assumed he was going to be around in the series for a lot longer . . .

After she saved her life by naming Athelstan as the father of the bastard baby, I thought Athelstan was going to be central in the plot of the remainder of the season, since Ecbert was so convinced that he could (literally) talk to God.  But, as soon as he got knocked back with the light, and Floki (a.k.a. "the man") saw blood running from that idol, I knew he was going to be a martyr.

Riddle me this:  since Ragnar killed the messenger, who brought news of the settlement raze, and Athelstan being martyred, do you think Ragnar even gives a shit about England anymore?  I mean, he has been so focused on going to Paris, right?

#56 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

Freightdreamliner

• Members *
  • 8725 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

View PostCloser to the Heart, on 13 March 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

Anyway, Siggy is dead (not that was a source of big disappointment, because it wasn't).  She went out a heroine, saving two of Ragnar's young sons.

I suppose we are meant to be left wondering whether the Wanderer really was just a mortal or something more than that . . .
That chick was hot; pure Canadian beauty. Sort of like Linda Hamilton, RIP.

#57 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

Freightdreamliner

• Members *
  • 8725 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostCloser to the Heart, on 13 March 2015 - 08:29 PM, said:

In further commentary, Gwenfrith, or however you spell her name, is clearly a pycho bitch from hell.
Kwenfrith, is the spelling, which makes absolutely no sense.  But, yeah, we would be psycho too, if we had been abused in that manner since childhood.

#58 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4378 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

--

Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostCloser to the Heart, on 27 March 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

Yeah that sucked, he was a great character!

#59 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

Freightdreamliner

• Members *
  • 8725 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:27 PM

The last episode of Vikings was pretty intense, as Ecbert kissed his daughter in law, after he sent his son away to deal with Kwinfrith, and King Ragnar and the bunch prepare to invade Paris.  Floki has been put in charge of leading this charge and built a very complex network of floating ladders, presumably to breech the high walls of gay Paris.  Ragnar keeps giving him the evil eye, like he knows he killed Athelstan.  Floki made the mistake of telling his wife that he killed Athelstan, so I hope that doesn't bite him in the backside.

If they kill off Floki, I will never watch again.

#60 Dread Pirate Robert

Dread Pirate Robert

• Members *
  • 19858 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:54 PM

View PostAikenrooster, on 04 April 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

The last episode of Vikings was pretty intense, as Ecbert kissed his daughter in law, after he sent his son away to deal with Kwinfrith, and King Ragnar and the bunch prepare to invade Paris.  Floki has been put in charge of leading this charge and built a very complex network of floating ladders, presumably to breech the high walls of gay Paris.  Ragnar keeps giving him the evil eye, like he knows he killed Athelstan.  Floki made the mistake of telling his wife that he killed Athelstan, so I hope that doesn't bite him in the backside.

If they kill off Floki, I will never watch again.

I "liked" your post, though I do not agree about the never watching again if Floki dies part.

That episode was very good, and reminded me of why I liked the series in the first place.

Ecbert is already planning to marry Judith and raise Alfred as his son, sending Ethelwolf off to be killed by Cwenfrith, or however the f**k you spell her name, apparently.

You get the historical reference to Alfred?  Though the historical parentages as depicted in this Series is, um, questionable, clearly that is Alfred the Great, the one and only king or queen of England to ever be bestowed the title of "the Great" after his name.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: metal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users