CygnusGal

IDK. Can't say as I've ever wanted to try pasta and beans. And there's chocolate in there too!? I like my pasta, beans and chocolate separate.

If I did try this though, I think it would be proper to eat a big bowl of it while watching an episode of WKRP.

You can buy it at the grocery store.

I just couldn't like this one. Sorry SC. It is so much better when homemade. I've never had the canned variety, but then again, there's lots of strange things in cans and some of them aren't half bad. They sell brown bread in cans here in New England. :eh: One of the strangest things I've seen, but it's pretty good.

TM, I almost used pintos the last time. I like them and they'd probably work just fine in this recipe.

I only suggested the store so Janie could try a jar of it, and get an idea of whether or not she liked it before she tried to make a batch herself.

Yes, it may be good idea before investing the time into making a pot. Do you have a brand you recommend?

I just read a thread where Janie tried and enjoyed vegemite. If she enjoyed that, surely she will enjoy Cincinnati chili. I haven't tried vegemite so I don't know if I like it. It seems...odd to me. :unsure:

I'll try CinnChili if you try vegemite!? (FYI, vegemite is slightly different from marmite. I picked up marmite too and it seemed to have a much stronger, more intense flavor which I didn't dig.) When you put vegemite on a cracker or piece of toast, you use a very light, thin amount. I found I really enjoyed it but I like sour things.

If you like sour, you need to try the chili. It's got a bit of a tang to it - very different than a regular chili.

I enjoy sour too - sometimes too much. And I do try new foods. Sure! I'll give it a shot. I pick up a small jar when I'm at the store next time. Any particular brand I should look for?

Thanks, Janie. :)

:cheers:

WOOHOO! Game on! Ok, I'll make some CinnChili tomorrow.

You know, I have only ever seen one jar of vegemite in the store. This one, by Kraft:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Vegemite.jpg

Hmmm...I have some really good grocery stores around with some really great ethnic food aisles (some of my finds have stunned me), so I'm hopeful. I shall begin my quest tomorrow.

Thanks. :)

To serve in true Cincinnati tradition, have cooked spaghetti on each plate. Top with the chili. Add Cheddar cheese, chopped onions and oyster crackers, if desired. Have hot sauce on hand for those who want an extra dash of spice in their chili.

:)

SHARP cheddar cheese. It has to be SHARP.....grated very fine. LOTS of it.

I GOTS to have me LOTS of cheese on my Cincinnati chili spaghetti.... :drool: :drool: :drool:

• Like 2

To serve in true Cincinnati tradition, have cooked spaghetti on each plate. Top with the chili. Add Cheddar cheese, chopped onions and oyster crackers, if desired. Have hot sauce on hand for those who want an extra dash of spice in their chili.

SHARP cheddar cheese. It has to be SHARP.....grated very fine. LOTS of it.

I GOTS to have me LOTS of cheese on my Cincinnati chili spaghetti.... :drool: :drool: :drool:

he's right...everytime I've seen it served was with a HUGE palm full of cheddar Edited by Tombstone Mountain

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CincinnitiChili2.jpg

Oh Hell yes.... time to go open up a can...... :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Do you have a favourite recipe for Cincinnati (Skyline) chili? I'm not from Ohio, but an old friend of mine said this tasted as she remembered it when she was young and she told me how to serve it. Here's my recipe:

2 lbs. ground beef

2 medium onions -- chopped

1 can (16 oz.) tomato sauce

1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

1 teaspoon cumin

4 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cloves garlic -- crushed

1 ounce unsweetened chocolate -- grated (or 3Tbsp unsweetened powdered cocoa)

2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce

5 cloves (or 1/2 tsp. ground)

1 bay leaf

2 cans (16 oz.) kidney beans, drained

cooked spaghetti -- optional

grated cheddar cheese -- optional

extra chopped onions -- optional

oyster crackers -- optional

hot red pepper sauce -- optional

Put 4 cups of water in a soup or stock pot; crumble in raw ground beef. Cook over medium heat until beef is broken into fine pieces.

Bring to a slow boil; simmer for 30 minutes.

Reduce heat; stir in onions, tomato sauce, red pepper, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt, garlic, chocolate, vinegar, Worchestershire sauce, cloves, bay leaf and kidney beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.

Great recipe...made two small batches. ..one with an added ingredient...one 7 oz jar of drained capers. WOW!!! Chili caviar!
  • Like 1

I made it, I tried it, I liked it. :)

I used the recipe I found on foodnetwork.com. I changed a few things around though. I kept my chili pretty thick only because that's my personal preference. (CygGal, I couldn't bring myself to boiling ground beef in 4 cups of water. I've never heard of boiling ground beef. Seems like the beef would end up on the hard side.)

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/CinChili1-Copy_zps8b7c1a82.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/CinChili2-Copy_zpse33b6113.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/CinChili3-Copy_zpsd855d6da.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/CinChili4-Copy_zps05758f40.jpg

Edited by Janie
  • Like 3

I used the recipe I found on foodnetwork.com. I changed a few things around though. I kept my chili pretty thick only because that's my personal preference. (CygGal, I couldn't bring myself to boiling ground beef in 4 cups of water. I've never heard of boiling ground beef. Seems like the beef would end up on the hard side.)

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/CinChili1-Copy_zps8b7c1a82.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/CinChili2-Copy_zpse33b6113.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/CinChili3-Copy_zpsd855d6da.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/CinChili4-Copy_zps05758f40.jpg

Excellent! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Janie. My first trip for my vegemite turned up empty (I found marmite though) I'll try another store, but I was preempted by snow cleaning duties.

FYI, the reason the beef is boiled is so it becomes extremely finely textured. It is a weird feeling the first time...I'm boiling meat... :unsure: but the result. :drool:

Is that cayenne I see hiding behind the onion?

Do you have a favourite recipe for Cincinnati (Skyline) chili? I'm not from Ohio, but an old friend of mine said this tasted as she remembered it when she was young and she told me how to serve it. Here's my recipe:

2 lbs. ground beef

2 medium onions -- chopped

1 can (16 oz.) tomato sauce

1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

1 teaspoon cumin

4 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cloves garlic -- crushed

1 ounce unsweetened chocolate -- grated (or 3Tbsp unsweetened powdered cocoa)

2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce

5 cloves (or 1/2 tsp. ground)

1 bay leaf

2 cans (16 oz.) kidney beans, drained

cooked spaghetti -- optional

grated cheddar cheese -- optional

extra chopped onions -- optional

oyster crackers -- optional

hot red pepper sauce -- optional

Put 4 cups of water in a soup or stock pot; crumble in raw ground beef. Cook over medium heat until beef is broken into fine pieces.

Bring to a slow boil; simmer for 30 minutes.

Reduce heat; stir in onions, tomato sauce, red pepper, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt, garlic, chocolate, vinegar, Worchestershire sauce, cloves, bay leaf and kidney beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.

Great recipe...made two small batches. ..one with an added ingredient...one 7 oz jar of drained capers. WOW!!! Chili caviar!

Thanks, TM. It is a favourite of mine and I'm glad you enjoy it, too. :)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-greet015.gif

Excellent! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Janie. My first trip for my vegemite turned up empty (I found marmite though) I'll try another store, but I was preempted by snow cleaning duties.

I had to pick my vegemite up at a "world market." Regular grocery stores (here anyway) don't exactly carry a wide variety of ethnic foods. I wouldn't pick up the marmite as it tastes more sour and bitter, IMO. Can be a bit tough on the taste buds.

And yes, that is cayenne you see hiding behind the onion! The spices I used were: chili powder, paprika, cumin, allspice, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and ground cloves. Here's the link to the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cincinnati-chili-recipe2/index.html

• Like 1

I had to pick my vegemite up at a "world market." Regular grocery stores (here anyway) don't exactly carry a wide variety of ethnic foods. I wouldn't pick up the marmite as it tastes more sour and bitter, IMO. Can be a bit tough on the taste buds.

And yes, that is cayenne you see hiding behind the onion! The spices I used were: chili powder, paprika, cumin, allspice, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and ground cloves. Here's the link to the recipe: http://www.foodnetwo...ipe2/index.html

Yes, I remember you saying that about the marmite. Too sour, I think you said, so I didn't buy it. I finished with the crazy snow clearing today and now can focus on other things. Like finding vegemite. :)

When you boil the beef per CygnusGal instructions the beef almost dissolves in your mouth....really nice...next time try it that way....you'll be blown away.

Wow, that chili looks great!! Even that bay leaf would be tasty!! I'm not surprised about the cocoa / chocolate deal in chili. And, cinnamon too... I think those are actually traditional Mexican flavour combinations??? Not sure...

This will probably sound weird but - the next time you make tacos or burritos with spicy ground beef, etc... add raisins. Use the dark currents or any one of the dark raisins, not the brown squishy buggers. Leave them cold... add them like you would with salsa or diced onion or tomato. That touch of hot vs. sweet really works!

And, yes, boiling ground beef is commonly done in restaurants. It'll be very tender...

• Like 2

Wow, that chili looks great!! Even that bay leaf would be tasty!! I'm not surprised about the cocoa / chocolate deal in chili. And, cinnamon too... I think those are actually traditional Mexican flavour combinations??? Not sure...

The earliest known recipe for "Cincinnati chili" is Macedonian, and it was copied quite a bit in the mid 20th century. Empress Chili was the first, then Skyline, Gold Star, etc.

I wish there were more Greek, Macedonian, Turkish, and Near Eastern cuisine in my area....which is 90% pizza and Mexican. I......NEED........SOMETHING ELSE!!! :o :o

• Like 2

The earliest known recipe for "Cincinnati chili" is Macedonian, and it was copied quite a bit in the mid 20th century. Empress Chili was the first, then Skyline, Gold Star, etc.

I wish there were more Greek, Macedonian, Turkish, and Near Eastern cuisine in my area....which is 90% pizza and Mexican. I......NEED........SOMETHING ELSE!!! :o :o

Interesting. I had no idea. Thanks, PM. :) I feel for you and your restaurant dilemma.

Yes, TBR, chocolate is definitely a traditional Mexican (native) flavour. I'm not sure about cinnamon though. Cumin for sure and cayenne for sure (chocolate and cayenne are a great flavour combo, btw, a rich and spicy mouth feel). Real Mexican food is quite delicious and quite different than the things you see served in "American" styled Mexican restaurants.

• Like 1

Come down to Milwaukee. We'll get some good food. Very varied food here. Great Indian, Ethiopian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc etc

Heck - I'll get ILSnwdog to make the trip up from Chicago and we can go on a chaperoned date :LOL:

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Cinci chil is very good. Was talking with the kids yesterday about making some for them. Turned my room mate on to it years ago, he had no idea but loved it. Good tread guys!
  • Like 1

Interesting. I had no idea. Thanks, PM. :) I feel for you and your restaurant dilemma.

Yes, TBR, chocolate is definitely a traditional Mexican (native) flavour. I'm not sure about cinnamon though. Cumin for sure and cayenne for sure (chocolate and cayenne are a great flavour combo, btw, a rich and spicy mouth feel). Real Mexican food is quite delicious and quite different than the things you see served in "American" styled Mexican restaurants.

Correct you are! I LOVE Mexican food... back in 2009, I was in Los Angeles and stayed at the London West Hollywood Hotel, right across from the Whiskey A-Go-Go. I had a few spare hours one afternoon and took a little walk up (or down, I guess) Sunset Blvd... I found this little taco stand type place, just a little hut really, along the side of the road. Just a few seats and old picnic tables out front, under a big canopy... this was the REAL deal.

I was talking to one of the women who was cooking there and she was telling me about their food, etc, and yes, cumin is a big spice in their recipes. The woman`s mother (who looked like she was about 117 years old, so cute!) was grinding up some cumin seed by hand in a mortar and pestel. I use ground cumin quite a lot even on simple things like nachos and burritos.

And, trust me, the food was amazing! I don`t even know what the stuff I ate was called. I told the woman I was from Canada and asked her to recommend something - and she did! WOW! The price was only about $7.00 and there enough food for two people. Lots of rice and beans with it too...

• Like 1

IDK. Can't say as I've ever wanted to try pasta and beans. And there's chocolate in there too!? I like my pasta, beans and chocolate separate.

If I did try this though, I think it would be proper to eat a big bowl of it while watching an episode of WKRP.

You can buy it at the grocery store.

I just couldn't like this one. Sorry SC. It is so much better when homemade. I've never had the canned variety, but then again, there's lots of strange things in cans and some of them aren't half bad. They sell brown bread in cans here in New England. :eh: One of the strangest things I've seen, but it's pretty good.

TM, I almost used pintos the last time. I like them and they'd probably work just fine in this recipe.

I only suggested the store so Janie could try a jar of it, and get an idea of whether or not she liked it before she tried to make a batch herself.

Yes, it may be good idea before investing the time into making a pot. Do you have a brand you recommend?

I just read a thread where Janie tried and enjoyed vegemite. If she enjoyed that, surely she will enjoy Cincinnati chili. I haven't tried vegemite so I don't know if I like it. It seems...odd to me. :unsure:

I'll try CinnChili if you try vegemite!? (FYI, vegemite is slightly different from marmite. I picked up marmite too and it seemed to have a much stronger, more intense flavor which I didn't dig.) When you put vegemite on a cracker or piece of toast, you use a very light, thin amount. I found I really enjoyed it but I like sour things.

If you like sour, you need to try the chili. It's got a bit of a tang to it - very different than a regular chili.

I enjoy sour too - sometimes too much. And I do try new foods. Sure! I'll give it a shot. I pick up a small jar when I'm at the store next time. Any particular brand I should look for?

Thanks, Janie. :)

:cheers:

WOOHOO! Game on! Ok, I'll make some CinnChili tomorrow.

You know, I have only ever seen one jar of vegemite in the store. This one, by Kraft:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Vegemite.jpg

Vegemite is very hard to find here in MA. Strike Four. Marmite is easy being within walking distance and available at every grocery store I've been to so far.

Are they similar enough that we can consider that a fair substitution?

^^Yes. Just spread a microscopic thin amount on some buttered toast. Or, if you like tomatoes and avocado, you can make a sandwich out of it by spreading butter on two pieces on toast and layering on the tomatoes and avocado.
  • Like 1

^^Yes. Just spread a microscopic thin amount on some buttered toast. Or, if you like tomatoes and avocado, you can make a sandwich out of it by spreading butter on two pieces on toast and layering on the tomatoes and avocado.

Thanks. I'll pick up a jar tomorrow. :)

Edited by CygnusGal

Thanks. I'll pick up a jar tomorrow. :)

TRF chicks just take food and life to another level. West coast enriching lives on the East coast—and vice versa. Life is beautiful
  • Like 2