Power Metal Thread

Mr. Not

Wow...just...incredible...I admit that I don't listen to much Stratovarius, in fact this is the first song of theirs I've listened to, but I'll definitely check out more from them after listening to this. Timi Kotipelpo's vocals are amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvncyMqXrdU

Wow...just...incredible...I admit that I don't listen to much Stratovarius, in fact this is the first song of theirs I've listened to, but I'll definitely check out more from them after listening to this. Timi Kotipelpo's vocals are amazing.

http://youtu.be/GsEHu-wxEyU

I've been listening to this song, over and over again. I admit that I don't listen to much power metal other than Sonata Arctica, but Timo's voice is probably the most powerful I've ever heard. Which album should I start off with?

• Like 1

I've been listening to this song, over and over again. I admit that I don't listen to much power metal other than Sonata Arctica, but Timo's voice is probably the most powerful I've ever heard. Which album should I start off with?

Timo K. actually wasn't the original vocalist! Timo T, the long time guitarist was. I listen to everything from Episode on (except for the 2005 self titled album which was horrible), and I feel like the ablums are on average only getting better.

Elysium is my favorite Stratovarius album.. But I recommend you start with Infinite or a popular favorite: Visions

Edited by Mr. IsNot

Timo K. actually wasn't the original vocalist! Timo T, the long time guitarist was. I listen to everything from Episode on (except for the 2005 self titled album which was horrible), and I feel like the ablums are on average only getting better.

Elysium is my favorite Stratovarius album.. But I recommend you start with Infinite or a popular favorite: Visions

Ok, so far I've listened to Visions, Infinite, Elements Pt. 1 and some of Nemesis and Elysium and I think they're all superb. Out of the bunch, Visions was my personal favorite. Kotipelto's vocals around the 6:00 mark during the title track just blows my mind every time I listen to it. I remembered playing Infinite the same day as Visions and some of the songs on that album glitched; some songs would skip a second or repeat certain segments of a song twice. The glitching's probably due to bad mp3 files, but I like to think that my computer can't handle too much Stratovarius in one day! :LOL:

I know most fans can't stand a Tolkki-less Stratovarius, but for me personally, they've continued to put out excellent material despite line-up changes, and if I could compare their new work to Sonata's new work, I'd give a slight edge in favor of new Stratovarius.

I've been listening to Orden Ogan on occassion for the past few months. I don't think they're very good, can't play the solos they write very well, lol... But what probably keeps me listening is their folk metal influence... Been listening to Ensiferum and they're amazing, but they're folk metal only, not power, so I can't talk about that ;)

I do really like Shaman's album "Ritual". Shaman is a band with the founding Angra members who left the band after their "Fireworks" album. This is my favorite song by them. Andre is not my favorite vocalist, but he's up there. I'd kill for that voice. Give me an empty room and I could sing myself out of any sorrow inside it.

The single off of the upcoming Sonata Arctica album Pariah's Child

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Xmwaf_Tog

Personally, I think it's a great song. Sounds like a mix of Silence, Reckoning Night, and Unia to my ears.

how long until it will be pulled? ;)

Funny story, both me and a fellow fan I talk to one facebook were tuning into the radio to hear it, and we had our audio ripping software at the ready ourselves! For her it was fine because she lives in England, but I was literally up from 1-4am listening to that radio before getting to hear the full premiere of the song... Well, the radio edit. Still more than the 1:30 sample I've been listening to for the past few days!

Anyway, that huge fandom aside.. Good track. I don't think any fanbase compares a band's newer work to the previous so obsessively as Sonata's fanbase, and it's been that way since Reckoning Night's prog direction confused the Japanese fans.. And then Unia? Yeah, that was controversial as f**k.

What's of MUCH more interest with this newer album is the new bassist as well as mixer Pasi... Now, I love the song, I think it's one of their best singles alongside "Last Amazing Grays" and "Broken", but the mixing of the song? One of the many things I love about Sonata is how perfect their mixing and production is. It's really just magical. In fact, just use Last Amazing Grays and Broken as a reference here. Now what the mixing on the song as a whole isn't bad - but there's two particular parts that just make me "WTF" every time... And that's the bass solo/fill at the intro.. It's so damn loud in the mix... And bass has always been in the very background of Sonata songs in the past... But this bass fill, it sounds good, but it's so loud in the mix that it's out of place. When I first heard it live on the radio, it caught my off guard for a good two seconds before noticing "Oh, that's Pasi showing off his capabilities." I thought it was someone being a jackass DJ or something at first. Next, the second detail, is Elias's first solo which is found strangely in the second verse... It's great, it kicks ass, the placing is weird but again, you adapt, it's all part of Tony's new unorthodox musical approaches which we should all be used to by now... But again, THAT DAMN MIXING. The problem here is the opposite - that solo has no reason to be so silent in the mix. What the flying f**k? ... Honestly.

I REALLY hope this bad mixing is only for the Radio edit... I get the feeling it won't be so however, and I'll have to adapt. Hopefully it doesn't affect the other songs as severely. :(

Also, I love the revert back to the Old Sonata logo they have on the album art. So simple, lovely, and familiar.

And the first verse of the song is so beautiful, uplifting and catchy... I love it. I've been listening to it over and over for days. Perfect way for them to start the album. I just want to buy my single already really. It'll be out on the 11th for the US...

The single is very promising and I have good expectations for this album. I doubt it can top WHG, but I think it will come close. I think...

Edited by Mr. IsNot

Elias's first solo which is found strangely in the second verse... It's great, it kicks ass, the placing is weird but again, you adapt, it's all part of Tony's new unorthodox musical approaches which we should all be used to by now... But again, THAT DAMN MIXING. The problem here is the opposite - that solo has no reason to be so silent in the mix. What the flying f**k? ... Honestly.

I REALLY hope this bad mixing is only for the Radio edit... I get the feeling it won't be so however, and I'll have to adapt. Hopefully it doesn't affect the other songs as severely. :(

I didn't even notice Elias' solo until you mentioned it. Yeah, that solo was buried deep in the mix. I dunno if it's because audio quality of the video link I posted came, but I'm sure the solo will be more up in the mix somewhat once the album's out. For the first time, I actually like the sound of Elias' guitar...it sounds so chunky and big compared to the last two albums in which I thought the guitars were tracked underwater. This song gets better every time I hear it, and I might even buy the single cause I like it a lot.

Is it just me, or does Pasi's fill sounds like his take on doing a Metropolis Pt. 1-esque solo? Kinda got the John Myung vibe during that fill.

Really good song. Didn't enjoy the last album too much so I have high hopes for this one.

The biggest problem with that album, I think, was how "down to earth" the lyrics were. My favorite tracks from it are Only the Broken Hearts, Losing My Insanity, The Day, Wildfire II, and One Two Free Fall.

The tracks that are absolutely dismal are Shitload of Money and I Have a Right and then the rest aren't dismal, but they're entirely forgettable.

Still not sure if SGHN or TDoG wins the #1 place for worst SA album.

Strange to see how cluttered this list is, but it's nothing to really complain about, because it could be a lot worse. http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=power+metal&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

Also, Powerwolf can GTFO ;)

The single was officially released yesterday in the US, but I've also been listening to the mentioned radio-rip I had (less instrumentation during the intro is the difference in the radio edit)... But I think it's time I stop listening to this song altogether for a long while. Hopefully I can hold off until the album's release!

I like Dragonforce as a studio band but that's it. Live they're mediocre and as people I know that the lead singer is quite a douche and the bassist as well. Herman Li is the only one who seems decent. Edited by Mr. IsNot

I know.. This has turned into the "anticipating Pariah's Child" thread... Here's some samples to check out during the meantime:

http://us.7digital.com/artist/sonata-arctica/release/pariahs-child-2

Take One Breath is beautiful! Why I consider Sonata the highest form of music... That's just me though.Larger than life is sure to be an interesting track!

I like Dragonforce as a studio band but that's it. Live they're mediocre and as people I know that the lead singer is quite a douche and the bassist as well. Herman Li is the only one who seems decent.

I became aware of DragonForce within the last year or so. I bought their current album (at the time) The Power Within and I LOVED it. I then got their older stuff and I didn’t like much of it. Their newest album Maximum Overload is awesome! It and The Power Within are my go to albums to listen to at the gym.

I have not yet seen them live. I’m hoping they come to Atlanta on this tour.