The Fountain Of Lamneth

sfuentes

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 14 2005, 12:06 AM)
Is it just me or is this a severely overlooked track? I've been listening to this song a lot lately and I can't get enough of it. It is overlooked just like the entire Caress Of Steel album. 2.gif

The Fountain of Lamneth

Words and music by Lee, Lifeson, and Peart

Alex Lifeson (1983 interview): "Ged and Neil wrote the lyrics for The Fountain of Lamneth, and he thought it would be kind of nice to try to incorporate a very loose concept in it by having a starting point and ending point which would go from the beginning of side 2 [to] the end of side 2 and it would be one complete story, but broken up, so that it could be individual songs that, unless you look closely, wouldn't necessarily relate to each other."

[source: http://www.egodeath.com/rushlyrics.htm]

You're absolutely right, sfuentes. I think it is the most intense of all their music. And that may have something to do with why it has gotten tucked away the way it has. The emotion and confession expressed in that song overwhelm me when I listen to it. I admit I did not appreciate the full extent of Neil's passion until I read the commentary at the link above.

Caress of Steel was one of those somewhat obscure Rush albums that always get overlooked since it was recordered back very early in their career, sort of in the experimental stage just before they began their "progressive quartet" of classics series. (2112, AFTK, HP, and PW) I always enjoy listening to CoS as it was a precursor to their greatness.

The Fountain of Lamneth is a wonderfully played out adventure with some amazing mood and synergy. I wonder if it was ever done live to any extent........

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Apr 14 2005, 08:52 AM)
Personally, I prefer "Fountain..." to Hemispheres.

Heresey, I know, but I do ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

I don't think its heresy at all.

Much as I love the album, I think that the reaction of some Rush fans to Hemispheres is a little over the top. Yes, it is a magnificent piece of work but it is far from the work of genius it is made out to be.

Fountain of Lamneth, on the other hand, is, as has been said, vastly underrated - mainly because it was a case of the band not having sufficent preparation time for the album. As such, I think it sounds a little rushed (no pun intended). Another two or three weeks would have made Fountain, and Caress as a whole, a faar more satisfying album.

To me, both Hemispheres and Fountain fall into the same category - flawed masterpieces.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Apr 14 2005, 01:52 AM)
Personally, I prefer "Fountain..." to Hemispheres.

Heresey, I know, but I do ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

As do I. At one point, Fountain even surpassed 2112 and became my favorite song. But another listen to 2112 pushed Fountain back to two. I do agree with everyone. The entire Carres of Steel album is underrated.

It's really fun to play on the guitar. it also acts like a tutor. it shows how rush structures alot of their later work. no one at the bridge is just a great piece!

Fountain is the gift that keeps on giving.

One thing that comes to mind with Fountain is that it was right on the heels of Fly By Night, and I think people forget about that context.

But think about that for a moment. Fly By Night landed them the Juno award for Best New Group. Their debut was filled with what I would call "radio-friendly" songs, and FBN went in a completely different direction than their debut, which got them on the map. They took a risk, but it was rewarded - they were a legitimate band. Record contracts! Touring! Stuff they had only dreamed about just a couple years ago, and now they were living their dream.

Was Rush or FBN their "real" debut? You could make a case for either. The case for FBN stems from the fact that their "Best New Group" award was based on FBN, not the eponymous counterpart.

Why do we care? I'll tell you. The dreaded "sophomore slump" effect. It's well known that bands that have great debuts often struggle with their second album. Why? Many reasons, I would guess. Maybe all the new fame and fortune goes to their head. Maybe they lose their "hunger" to give their best. Maybe they get too many people telling them what they should do next.

I've always found it interesting regarding Rush. Which album do we count for the "sophomore effect"?

FBN? Or CoS? Things that make you go "hmm".

Regardless which you choose, here's my point. I think, going into Caress, the band was pumped. I honestly feel they were not falling into any traditional "trappings" of a successful band about to go sour. They had tasted some success with FBN, but I think they were hungry for more. I think they had the attitude of "how far can we take this thing". They were making money, but I don't think it was so lavish that they thought they had "made it" and were set for life. I really think they still felt they needed to prove themselves, and their work ethic (which has been consistent over the years imho) drove them to give each album their all, no matter their current station in life.

Well I for one do think they gave Caress their all. But, once again, they decided to push the envelope and go in a new direction. One thing I remember reading in Contents Under Pressure was that, immediately following the completion of Caress, they were proud of what they had done!

If Rush could go back in time, I'm sure they would make some changes to Caress. Like Slaine mentioned, perhaps just a couple more weeks smoothing out some of the "rough edges" might have done wonders to how it was received.

That aside, I for one am still happy with what they accomplished. Story-wise, I think it is some of Neil's best work, and that's saying something. It's a piece that I've gone back to over the years and have been able to pull out something new from it's meaning, which is always refreshing.

In some ways, I wish Caress was better received, but in other ways I'm ok with it. I guess the bottom line is that every good band, no matter what their success, can sometimes use a "down the tubes tour" to sharpen their senses and let them know that the road to obscurity is just around the corner. Good bands will respond positively to such challenges with renewed vigor to prove to the world that they have what it takes.

Not-so-good bands will not respond so well and .. fade away.

In conclusion, I don't perceive Caress as a "sophomore slump" for our boys. I think they worked hard on an album that, for my part, I'll be listening to to the end of my days.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to listen to the guitar solo in Noone At The Bridge just one more time..

cool.gif

Schro

Is it just me or is this a severely overlooked track? I've been listening to this song a lot lately and I can't get enough of it. It is overlooked just like the entire Caress Of Steel album.  2.gif

That's Awsome 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif that's how I felt back in the 70's. But at this point who unsure.gif cares??? " A GREAT ALBUM". By the WAY... I am going BALD rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

troutman trink39.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 14 2005, 01:02 AM)
Is it just me or is this a severely overlooked track? I've been listening to this song a lot lately and I can't get enough of it. It is overlooked just like the entire Caress Of Steel album.  2.gif

The Fountain of Lamneth

Words and music by Lee, Lifeson, and Peart

Alex Lifeson (1983 interview): "Ged and Neil wrote the lyrics for The Fountain of Lamneth, and he thought it would be kind of nice to try to incorporate a very loose concept in it by having a starting point and ending point which would go from the beginning of side 2 [to] the end of side 2 and it would be one complete story, but broken up, so that it could be individual songs that, unless you look closely, wouldn't necessarily relate to each other."

[source: http://www.egodeath.com/rushlyrics.htm]

You're absolutely right, sfuentes. I think it is the most intense of all their music. And that may have something to do with why it has gotten tucked away the way it has. The emotion and confession expressed in that song overwhelm me when I listen to it. I admit I did not appreciate the full extent of Neil's passion until I read the commentary at the link above.

I believe that site to be nonsense.

possibly some allusions to LSD in the music, but certainly not the center.

Finally I hear someone else's opinion on the site. For sure, the guy's gotten carried away with his theories, interpreting almost every verse as having some connection or other with LSD. At the same time, though, it does seem he's on to something that, as far as I can tell, hadn't been explored before, and in the vast majority of cases his argument is convincing, if initially unnerving.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 15 2005, 09:07 AM)
Finally I hear someone else's opinion on the site. For sure, the guy's gotten carried away with his theories, interpreting almost every verse as having some connection or other with LSD. At the same time, though, it does seem he's on to something that, as far as I can tell, hadn't been explored before, and in the vast majority of cases his argument is convincing, if initially unnerving.

For me it's like reading a history text of someone who believed the world is flat or perhaps a southern plantation owner from 1870 explaining why slavery is good for the slaves:

"In the north, factory/farm owners only own the "labor" of a worker, and therefore do not care a whit about whether the worker lives/dies or is sick/healthy. They can always just get another worker. We here in the South care about the welfare of our slaves as we care about all of our property that we have invested in. Therefore Slavery is more moral than the "Wage slavery" in the North."

Sound convincing! But it's Bullshit.

Why did this guy go to so much effort though? Weird. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Apr 14 2005, 11:15 AM)
Fountain is the gift that keeps on giving.

One thing that comes to mind with Fountain is that it was right on the heels of Fly By Night, and I think people forget about that context.

But think about that for a moment.  Fly By Night landed them the Juno award for Best New Group.  Their debut was filled with what I would call "radio-friendly" songs, and FBN went in a completely different direction than their debut, which got them on the map.  They took a risk, but it was rewarded - they were a legitimate band.  Record contracts!  Touring!  Stuff they had only dreamed about just a couple years ago, and now they were living their dream.

Was Rush or FBN their "real" debut?  You could make a case for either.  The case for FBN stems from the fact that their "Best New Group" award was based on FBN, not the eponymous counterpart.

Why do we care?  I'll tell you.  The dreaded "sophomore slump" effect.  It's well known that bands that have great debuts often struggle with their second album.  Why?  Many reasons, I would guess.  Maybe all the new fame and fortune goes to their head.  Maybe they lose their "hunger" to give their best.  Maybe they get too many people telling them what they should do next.

I've always found it interesting regarding Rush.  Which album do we count for the "sophomore effect"? 

FBN?  Or CoS?  Things that make you go "hmm".

Regardless which you choose, here's my point.  I think, going into Caress, the band was pumped.  I honestly feel they were not falling into any traditional "trappings" of a successful band about to go sour.  They had tasted some success with FBN, but I think they were hungry for more.  I think they had the attitude of "how far can we take this thing".  They were making money, but I don't think it was so lavish that they thought they had "made it" and were set for life.  I really think they still felt they needed to prove themselves, and their work ethic (which has been consistent over the years imho) drove them to give each album their all, no matter their current station in life.

Well I for one do think they gave Caress their all.  But, once again, they decided to push the envelope and go in a new direction.  One thing I remember reading in Contents Under Pressure was that, immediately following the completion of Caress, they were proud of what they had done! 

If Rush could go back in time, I'm sure they would make some changes to Caress.  Like Slaine mentioned, perhaps just a couple more weeks smoothing out some of the "rough edges" might have done wonders to how it was received.

That aside, I for one am still happy with what they accomplished.  Story-wise, I think it is some of Neil's best work, and that's saying something.  It's a piece that I've gone back to over the years and have been able to pull out something new from it's meaning, which is always refreshing.

In some ways, I wish Caress was better received, but in other ways I'm ok with it.  I guess the bottom line is that every good band, no matter what their success, can sometimes use a "down the tubes tour" to sharpen their senses and let them know that the road to obscurity is just around the corner.  Good bands will respond positively to such challenges with renewed vigor to prove to the world that they have what it takes.

Not-so-good bands will not respond so well and .. fade away.

In conclusion, I don't perceive Caress as a "sophomore slump" for our boys.  I think they worked hard on an album that, for my part, I'll be listening to to the end of my days.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to listen to the guitar solo in Noone At The Bridge just one more time..

cool.gif

Schro

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

To me Caress Of Steel sounds like a protest against recording companies, in my opinion, it seemed to be too weird for the normal standard in those times and people didn't recognize the wonder and enchantment built in its lyrics and songs in a glance, just a couple of years ago people got fascinated by the movie The Lord Of The Rings, Necromancer had a lot of such a magic stuff since that time. I don't know if there is anything related, but on that scene when Frodo is brought back to life by the Fairy after being gravely wounded, as I see it, looks like Panacea. confused13.gif

Archived