The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

I finally got caught up. Just watched the most recent episode.

Embarrassing. Laughable. The moon as an egg. Really? And then it hatches, the thing flies away but somehow manages to lay an egg as a newborn dragonlicetickthing that is larger than itself so that the Earth still has a moon and things can carry on as normal.

I just...IDK... wow.

While the second egg thing was really stupid, the overall concept of the moon being an egg was pretty interesting. Other than that, I rather enjoyed the episode.

I can tell you one thing, his portrayal of The Doctor is kind of pissing me off. He's pretty nasty. It's become a really abusive relationship. More so than I've noticed with the other doctors. I remember reading how they were going to make him darker, but I'd rather have the happier go lucky David Tennant type than this.

I can tell you one thing, his portrayal of The Doctor is kind of pissing me off. He's pretty nasty. It's become a really abusive relationship. More so than I've noticed with the other doctors. I remember reading how they were going to make him darker, but I'd rather have the happier go lucky David Tennant type than this.

I'm actually liking his portrayal; however, Clara in this most recent episode is really getting to me and I cannot wait for her to go. How is it that she was allowed to go off on the Doctor at the end? She's a companion! She don't call no shots. And Danny Pink needs to go too.

• Like 1

I'm actually liking his portrayal; however, Clara in this most recent episode is really getting to me and I cannot wait for her to go. How is it that she was allowed to go off on the Doctor at the end? She's a companion! She don't call no shots. And Danny Pink needs to go too.

Yeah, I don't like Danny either. I'll keep watching the show until it really pisses me off or gets a lot better. Hopefully it'll get better. The writing just hasn't been that great since Steven Moffat has been writing for the show.

Yeah, I don't like Danny either. I'll keep watching the show until it really pisses me off or gets a lot better. Hopefully it'll get better. The writing just hasn't been that great since Steven Moffat has been writing for the show.

It seems like he's saving all his energy for Sherlock...

• Like 1

On the whole, I still prefer the Moffat run to the RTD run. Don't get me wrong, I loved that too, but the Moffat run has more of a closer feel to why I fell in love with the earlier Doctor Who in the first place - but then, most of my favourite episodes of the RTD era were written by Moffat anyway. But I do think he wrote better episodes when he wasn't also the showrunner. That said, this years Listen, which he wrote, is really up there, for me.

With the last episode, there seems to be an even split between those that agreed with Clara, and those that thought the Doctor was right (I don't know whether that was the intention, though...I got the impression we were probably all supposed to be on Clara's side - still, it's opened up lots of debate) Personally, while I thought he handled it like a bit of an arse, I agreed that it was a vital step for humanity, that humanity should decide (exactly like Matt's Doctor leaving it to Amy to negotiate with the Silurians)

I'm in the minority that loved Clara last year. I thought her scenes with the little girl in Rings of Akhaten showed her as a great companion, I loved her scene with the scientist on the Russian Sub, and the cliff edge scene with Matt in Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS...for me, those three scenes are the highlights of her character.

But this year, I'm not too fond of the Clara and Danny stuff. It pulling too much focus from the new Doctor...it could still go somewhere interesting yet, so all reserve judgement until the end of the season

• Like 2

Thankfully we get an episode without Clara (maybe) this Saturday. More focus towards Capaldi so that'll be nice

I wondered if she'd be in the episode. It was hard to tell from the preview.

Thankfully we get an episode without Clara (maybe) this Saturday. More focus towards Capaldi so that'll be nice

I wondered if she'd be in the episode. It was hard to tell from the preview.

From what I've heard, it's going to be a Clara-Lite episode...but the following one will be a Doctor-Lite episode (like they did in Season four with Midnight being Donna-Lite, then Turn Left being Doctor-Lite).

While it might not sound thrilling, the episode synopsis actually sounds quite interesting

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/flatline-official-synopsis-67346.htm

Well, I loved that! One of my favourites of the year so far.

Great monster, loved the setting, and plenty of Capaldi. There were lots of little nods to the past (Jally Babies :ebert: ..."Are you my mummy?" :LOL: )

• Like 2

Great monster, loved the setting, and plenty of Capaldi. There were lots of little nods to the past (Jally Babies :ebert: ..."Are you my mummy?" :LOL: )

I liked that too: Jelly Babies for Tom Baker and "Are you my mummy?" for Chris Eccleston. :)

I love Peter Capaldi. :wub:

I'm not struck on Clara and Danny: they don't bring much to the table. Or the plot. Or something. :unsure:

• Like 1

I LOVE when they do period pieces. I enjoy when history meets science. This was a great episode. I really liked when the Doctor admitted that he was carrying on with his scientific experiment, no matter who or how many had do die. Very Doctory of him.

And of course I liked that Clara's pieces were scattered about in small doses. I like her but don't love her at this point.

• Like 1

I LOVE when they do period pieces. I enjoy when history meets science. This was a great episode. I really liked when the Doctor admitted that he was carrying on with his scientific experiment, no matter who or how many had do die. Very Doctory of him.

And of course I liked that Clara's pieces were scattered about in small doses. I like her but don't love her at this point.

I thought this episode was the best one so far this season. I think the chemistry between the two is a little awkward.

• Like 1

In other news, I found a whole bunch of Doctor Who Target novelizations in a charity shop.

I found:

An Unearthly Child

The Daleks

The Sontaran Experiment

The Loch Ness Monster (Terror of the Zygons)

The Brain of Morbius

The Masque of Mandragora

The Deadly Assassin

Earthshock

The Nightmare Fair

Mission to Magnus

A lot of reading ahead of me :)

• Like 2

In other news, I found a whole bunch of Doctor Who Target novelizations in a charity shop.

I found:

An Unearthly Child

The Daleks

The Sontaran Experiment

The Brain of Morbius

The Masque of Mandragora

The Deadly Assassin

Earthshock

The Nightmare Fair

Mission to Magnus

Enjoy. I had a fair bunch of ém at one time but I sold them on. They had to be first editions as well...btw, Masque was my latest DVD edition...K9 Tales and Invasion of Time on way soon hopefully, just thought you might like to know :)

• Like 1

I found:

An Unearthly Child

The Daleks

The Sontaran Experiment

The Brain of Morbius

The Masque of Mandragora

The Deadly Assassin

Earthshock

The Nightmare Fair

Mission to Magnus

Enjoy. I had a fair bunch of ém at one time but I sold them on. They had to be first editions as well...btw, Masque was my latest DVD edition...K9 Tales and Invasion of Time on way soon hopefully, just thought you might like to know :)

I love Masque. Tom and Lis Sladen were perfect together, and they share some great scenes in that story.
  • Like 1

Great episode. I was initially nervous when I heard it was a "Doctor-Lite" episode production-wise, but you could hardly tell. They did the same thing they did with Matt in The Girl Who Waited, making use of the actors limited time by having all his scenes in one location, so they could be filmed all on the same day.

Plus, I liked Clara more in this episode than I have for a while...it helped that she actually seemed to be having fun with it, rather than travelling with the Doctor out of some obligation, like some of the previous episodes this year have felt.

I loved the Addams Family moment :LOL:

Some creepy effects, particularly when they were walking about 3D, with a bit of a stop-motion look.

• Like 1

Not the best episode, but I enjoyed it more than I notice most people are doing.

There were a few good ideas in there. I like the idea of the trees being a defence mechanism, and I liked Capaldi's interaction with the children. But on the whole...not the best.

Just the two-part finale now. "Clara Oswald never existed." Interesting...although the inclusion of the line in the trailer seems like we're being teased by Moffat. Let's see how it all comes together.

I'm still hoping that Danny is somehow involved in the whole Missy plot, and therefore he's not just a dull sub-plot that doesn't really work.

Unlikely, but here's hoping.

Edited by Your_Lion

Loved it. Nice cliffhanger, with plenty to tie up next week (next episode is going to be a full hour :yay: )

Without spoilers (incase anyone hasn't watched yet)the Missy reveal was good, despite it being exactly what most people suspected since Deep Breath. But I can't wait to see how that turns out.

I actually enjoyed the scenes with Danny, for probably the first time this series. Plus, it's great having more Chris Addison, since him and Capaldi were together in The Thick of It...hope they actually meet up next episode.

Agreeing w/Y_L and Lyndsey. Wow was that amazing! I'm ashamed to say that I did not catch that the large black circles in the elevators (and everywhere else but it was more apparent when the elevator doors closed) were the eyes of the Cybermen. Cannot wait for next week. Not really digging how dark Clara was and how she was testing the Doctor. Also have to agree with Y_L about Danny in this episode. I liked him in this episode.