The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

Where were you people when I was watching Dr Who with Jon Pertwee as the Doctor?

Feel free to discuss any era of the show you want...I have them all on DVD and am a fan of all eras.

Loved Pertwee. I love me some Jo Grant. The Brigadier was awesome. No Master has been as cool and master-y as Delgado

Loved it.

I felt a shiver when the kid said his name (avoiding spoilers in case anyone hasn't seen it yet)

The Doctor on the guitar was hilarious :haz:

But most of all, I loved the return of the 2-parter. Cliff-hangers have always been an important part of Who, and that was a doozy.

Being honest here... I'm really not liking Capaldi, still, but I LOVED this episode. I have so many theories. I thought of you YL. I know you're a huge DW fan and was looking forward to coming here and reading your input. :)

Sorry you're not liking Capaldi. Still, he's got a whole new batch of episodes to try to convince you, but some Doctors aren't for everyone.

He seems a bit lighter this year, and Moffat has said that he's been writing him with more humour (like the guitar scene I guess)

Where were you people when I was watching Dr Who with Jon Pertwee as the Doctor?

Feel free to discuss any era of the show you want...I have them all on DVD and am a fan of all eras.

Loved Pertwee. I love me some Jo Grant. The Brigadier was awesome. No Master has been as cool and master-y as Delgado

Loved the Pertwee/Tom Baker era of Dr.Who,but found the McCoy/Colin Baker era not so good.

However have been watching some of their episodes on The Horror Channel and found them quite enjoyable!

Still not a patch on Pertwee + TB.Favourite episode is The Daemons.Classic!

David Tennant era was very good,Matt Smith was ok,but i do struggle somewhat with Capaldi.

This weeks episode was different,and ,like you,it's good to see a two part story again.

Loved it.

I felt a shiver when the kid said his name (avoiding spoilers in case anyone hasn't seen it yet)

But most of all, I loved the return of the 2-parter. Cliff-hangers have always been an important part of Who, and that was a doozy.

Being honest here... I'm really not liking Capaldi, still, but I LOVED this episode. I have so many theories. I thought of you YL. I know you're a huge DW fan and was looking forward to coming here and reading your input. :)

I absolutely love Peter Capaldi! :wub:

The scenes between the Doctor and Davros were amazing (I'm assuming I can drop spoiler warnings by now). The great thing about 2-parters is that it leaves space for scenes like this, to just let two great actors have at it. Julian Bleach (returning to the part from the Tennant era) is great as Davros, rivalling the original Michael Wisher.

I even like Clara in this episode.

And they even gave an explanation for how Missy survived, not only last week, but also at the end of last series...which is more than they ever did with the Master in the 80's.

After 50+ years, they still manage to teach us something new about the Daleks.

• Like 1

The scenes between the Doctor and Davros were amazing (I'm assuming I can drop spoiler warnings by now). The great thing about 2-parters is that it leaves space for scenes like this, to just let two great actors have at it. Julian Bleach (returning to the part from the Tennant era) is great as Davros, rivalling the original Michael Wisher.

I even like Clara in this episode.

And they even gave an explanation for how Missy survived, not only last week, but also at the end of last series...which is more than they ever did with the Master in the 80's.

After 50+ years, they still manage to teach us something new about the Daleks.

So whats with the Doctor's

sonic screwdriver

?

Edited by Babycat

Loved it.

Now Janie you see this is the experience that all Dr Who fans have. They discover the show and whichever doctor is the current one is their guy and maybe the one after. Eventually though a replacement comes along that doesn't measure up and it does sort of ruin things. For me my favourites were Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker (thought it took half a season or so for me to get used to Baker) but then the whole thing was ruined when they anointed Peter Davidson as the Doctor (Tristan from All Creatures Great and Small). I just couldn't take him as the Doctor, it was like the Doctor had been taken over by one of his assistants.

I'm calling it. Who else thinks the person in the stasis box is going to turn out to be the Doctor.

Tonight's episode is written by Jamie Mathieson, the writer of Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline, the best (or least my favourite) episodes from last year.

And featuring Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones

I've really liked this season so far. Having two parters is better for the show as it allows the storylines to breathe and develop more. I wish they did this with a lot of Matt Smith's episodes. I enjoyed his run but it always felt like they were adding in too much info every show and not giving the audience a chance to process it.

Ok, I can't be the only one who got in the mood to hear this song after the newest episode:

• Like 1

There's been a theory floating around since the start of the season...

(Spoilers for last nights episode)

Did you notice that this is the first time since last year that the Doctor has worn his buttoned up shirt?

The theory is that the Doctor we have been following since the start of this season has come from a point after last nights episode, and has already witnessed Clara's death.

There have been little clues, like in the first episode, the hug he gave Clara, and the look he gave her when she asked "Which one of us is dying?"

The theory is that at some point after whatever happens next, the Doctor goes off to throw his Medieval guitar/tank party, and runs into Missy and Clary.

It's all personal taste. For me, he's fast becoming my favourite of the 21st century Doctors...moreso this season, now they've toned down some of his unpleasantness from last year, and made him a bit friendlier. They've still kept the unpredictability, which I love. The same sort of unpredictability I associate with Tom Baker.

It's all personal taste. For me, he's fast becoming my favourite of the 21st century Doctors...moreso this season, now they've toned down some of his unpleasantness from last year, and made him a bit friendlier. They've still kept the unpredictability, which I love. The same sort of unpredictability I associate with Tom Baker.

I actually loved his rudeness, made him more alien

• Like 1

I think he's still got the rudeness in him...well, it's more that he doesn't really know how to relate to people at times, or doesn't have the patience to try. But they've started to mix in other qualities.

I'm thinking of the bit in "Under the Lake" where he's so excited about the ghosts, that he needs cue cards in order to show any sympathy for the loss of their friend/family member/pet :LOL:

Last night's episode was probably the best for a long while...and I've really enjoyed most of this season

I think he's still got the rudeness in him...well, it's more that he doesn't really know how to relate to people at times, or doesn't have the patience to try. But they've started to mix in other qualities.

I'm thinking of the bit in "Under the Lake" where he's so excited about the ghosts, that he needs cue cards in order to show any sympathy for the loss of their friend/family member/pet :LOL:

Last night's episode was probably the best for a long while...and I've really enjoyed most of this season

I watched all of last season thinking it might get better but didn't. This season is a hair better but the writing just isn't there.