Windows 7

barney_rebel

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 25 2009, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 24 2009, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 24 2009, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 24 2009, 10:09 AM)
I have Vista and have a coupla questions:

1. Is there a cost to upgrade to Windows 7?

2. Wouldn't it be better to wait a little while?  Isn't it usually the case when they first put out a new version of Windows that there are bugs and it's better to wait for the patches/upgrades so they work the bugs out?

Back in June, MS ran a special where you could pre-order 7 for 50 bucks and I snagged it.

Now, the upgrade costs $120. But, they also have a "Family Pack" that is good for 3 computers for $150.

As far as bugginess, I suppose you can say that about almost any OS when it is first released. But I am loving 7 and haven't had a single problem so far (yeah, I know its only been 2 days).

If Vista isn't bugging you, then hold off and wait and maybe the price may come down. But I'm a very happy Win7 user right now and glad I spent the $$$ back in June.

I'll wait. $120 seems awfully steep, and honestly Vista seems fine to me...

Goob, here is an article from pcworld.com talking about just what you are saying. People wondering if they should just wait until the first Service Pack comes out for 7. Thought of your question when I saw it, so thought I'd post it here for you and any others who may be on the fence.

Thanks, good info.

Still, I'm going to wait if for no other reason than $120. Seems kind of like extortionist fees. The computer I have now was purchased 5 months ago and that seems like a huge expense for a single DVD upgrade. What kind of company makes you pay for an OS and then makes you pay $120 to upgrade? Seems like a little too much greed going on there, but maybe that's just me... unsure.gif

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not doing it. Didn't do Vista. Won't do this. Don't like Windows OS. Am getting a Mac after the holidays.

We're still on XP Pro at work for the most part. It works fine, thanks.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 26 2009, 07:25 AM)
Still, I'm going to wait if for no other reason than $120. Seems kind of like extortionist fees. The computer I have now was purchased 5 months ago and that seems like a huge expense for a single DVD upgrade. What kind of company makes you pay for an OS and then makes you pay $120 to upgrade? Seems like a little too much greed going on there, but maybe that's just me... unsure.gif

doh.gif Goobs, I kinda figured if you bought one 5 months ago you might have gotten the free 7 upgrade? My g/f bought a desktop and a laptop running Vista and she got a free upgrade on both of hers. She bought hers only 2 months ago though, might be the reason why, not sure. unsure.gif

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Oct 26 2009, 07:12 AM)
Still, I'm going to wait if for no other reason than $120.  Seems kind of like extortionist fees.  The computer I have now was purchased 5 months ago and that seems like a huge expense for a single DVD upgrade.  What kind of company makes you pay for an OS and then makes you pay $120 to upgrade? Seems like a little too much greed going on there, but maybe that's just me...  unsure.gif

doh.gif Goobs, I kinda figured if you bought one 5 months ago you might have gotten the free 7 upgrade? My g/f bought a desktop and a laptop running Vista and she got a free upgrade on both of hers. She bought hers only 2 months ago though, might be the reason why, not sure. unsure.gif

How would one go about getting such a free upgrade or seeing if eligible? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 26 2009, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Oct 26 2009, 07:12 AM)
Still, I'm going to wait if for no other reason than $120.  Seems kind of like extortionist fees.  The computer I have now was purchased 5 months ago and that seems like a huge expense for a single DVD upgrade.  What kind of company makes you pay for an OS and then makes you pay $120 to upgrade? Seems like a little too much greed going on there, but maybe that's just me...  unsure.gif

How would one go about getting such a free upgrade or seeing if eligible? confused13.gif

I think it might have just been something that was included at the time when she got them both. Two different computer companies too, so I figured a few companies may have had that upgrade special going back then.

I don't know anyone to ask besides her, that has bought one over the last couple months. I'll get with her and ask what the deal was and edit this post if she knows if there's any more info on it. yes.gif

Felt like checking out some 7 Internet TV tonight so I booted up the trusty Media Center and checked what was available.

Ended up watching an old Twilight Zone episode. Anyone else used 7 ITV yet? unsure.gif

http://mysite.verizon.net/Assbuster/InternetTV.jpg

A closer look at the schedule...

http://mysite.verizon.net/Assbuster/InternetTV1.jpg

I had to purchase a new desktop computer recently when my previous one was recently removed from my home.

Ended up purchasing a Dell Studio One desktop. (LOVE!)

Got the free upgrade, which I am in the process of TRYING to upgrade right now.

I have an error message saying:

" THE FOLLOWING SOFTWARE WAS NOT SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED. CONTACT THE SOFTWARE VENDOR FOR ASSISTANCE. AFTER YOU MANUALLY REMOVE THE LISTED SOFTWARE, YOU CAN RETURN TO THIS UPGRADE ASSISTANT TO RESUME THE UPGRADE PROCESS. "

The software is Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility.

What I'm wondering is if the software cannot be removed because I'm using the wireless internet connection at the time of the upgrade.

If i do a direct connect, will that solve the problem?

always curious...

guess i should just try that and see of it fixes the issue.

keep ya'll posted.....

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Nov 27 2009, 09:38 AM)
I had to purchase a new desktop computer recently when my previous one was recently removed from my home.

Ended up purchasing a Dell Studio One desktop. (LOVE!)

Got the free upgrade, which I am in the process of TRYING to upgrade right now.
I have an error message saying:

" THE FOLLOWING SOFTWARE WAS NOT SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED. CONTACT THE SOFTWARE VENDOR FOR ASSISTANCE. AFTER YOU MANUALLY REMOVE THE LISTED SOFTWARE, YOU CAN RETURN TO THIS UPGRADE ASSISTANT TO RESUME THE UPGRADE PROCESS. "

The software is Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility.

What I'm wondering is if the software cannot be removed because I'm using the wireless internet connection at the time of the upgrade.

If i do a direct connect, will that solve the problem?

always curious...

guess i should just try that and see of it fixes the issue.

keep ya'll posted.....

problems solved.

install took longer than expected, but now that it's complete i'm really liking Windows 7!

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Dec 1 2009, 07:04 AM)
problems solved.

install took longer than expected, but now that it's complete i'm really liking  Windows 7!

Welcome aboard the 7 train ladi! Try out that 7 ITV that I posted above. I think people are scared it's gonna bite them on the ass or something if they boot it up. laugh.gif

Getting ready to check out 'The Guild' now. Never heard of it. Some online sitcom apparently.

http://mysite.verizon.net/Assbuster/InternetTV2.jpg

QUOTE (JimboGames @ Nov 5 2009, 06:15 PM)
I would have loved it if Windows 7 did not come with Internet Explorer integrated into the OS.

You can uninstall it this time around

I am now running Windows 7 Ultimate, and I love it !!!! What a great operating system. Having spent the last 8 years running XP, this is a welcome and needed change.

I recommend Windows 7 to everyone.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 4 2009, 03:27 PM)
I am now running Windows 7 Ultimate, and I love it !!!! What a great operating system. Having spent the last 8 years running XP, this is a welcome and needed change.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Holy Crap!!! I thought you would be the last one here to get the 7! laugh.gif

What changed your mind? Plz tell. yes.gif

There ya have it folks. If Launch says it's good to go then it's good to go! Salute!

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 4 2009, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 4 2009, 03:27 PM)

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Holy Crap!!! I thought you would be the last one here to get the 7! laugh.gif

What changed your mind? Plz tell. yes.gif

There ya have it folks. If Launch says it's good to go then it's good to go! Salute!

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

rofl3.gif I know, crazy huh? I've been happy with XP for years and still think it's a solid OS, but I've wanted to upgrade for a while now just not to Vista. After reading tons of reviews about Windows 7 and talking with many people who are running it I decided to give it a shot. I am so glad I did because I absolutely love it !!

PROS: Super Fast, Very Slick, Great Security, Recognizes All RAM, Recognizes and Installs Hardware perfectly*, Great User Account Controls*, Solid Networking, Strong Firewall, the OS Installs in 10 minutes and is fully automated.

CONS: UAC (user account control) can be a pain because it needs approval every time you run a program. You can turn it off, BUT this is your strongest security feature and will not let anything read or write to the computer without approval. I have mine set to the highest level.

Some older software can actually break the operating system as I found out the hard way. A little research is needed before installing software designed for previous windows versions.

I only have experience with Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit) and cannot speak for the other versions, but I highly recommend it and promise you will not be disappointed.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 4 2009, 11:33 PM)

CONS: UAC (user account control) can be a pain because it needs approval every time you run a program. You can turn it off, BUT this is your strongest security feature and will not let anything read or write to the computer without approval. I have mine set to the highest level.

W7, is a breath of fresh air at long last. It's as if MS have finally taken on board what the public & business users have been crying out for for years and ultimately put together a relatively easy to install OS that isn't full of bloatware or puts too many demands on existing hardware.

No OS will ever be 100% stable or secure, but compared to Vista, 7 offers users a great deal of confidence in the product at all levels. Although I do share your point, Launch, regarding that old Vista relic, UAC. I can appreciate its rationale, but it is a major PITA having to confirm every little thing time and time again.

I still have XP on my other machine: great OS even after all these years. But Vista is now but a distant nightmare well and truly buried under the goodness that is 7 1022.gif

Windows Vista has served me quite well. I've never had much of a problem with it. I've had to deal with slow, virus infected computers since time immemorial. So however much people complian about Vista, its still better than anything I've ever had to put up with.

Nonetheless, I will be getting Windows 7 for my next machine later this year, for when Star Craft 2 comes out.

I want to buy a copy of Windows 7 for my laptop, but the full version's so damn expensive!

I could buy the upgrade, and I'd like to....but...what happens when i want to format the hard drive and reinstall windows? Will I be able to install it again? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Dec 1 2009, 11:42 PM)
I would have loved it if Windows 7 did not come with Internet Explorer integrated into the OS.

Remnants of the IE core are still present in the registry after the uninstall. I'll stick to my Ubuntu 9.10 system. I am now completely Windows Free!

http://electroniccigaretteinformation.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/mel-gibson-braveheart-freedom.jpg

FREEDOM!!!!

QUOTE (JimboGames @ Dec 29 2009, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (rushringleader @ Dec 1 2009, 11:42 PM)

Remnants of the IE core are still present in the registry after the uninstall. I'll stick to my Ubuntu 9.10 system. I am now completely Windows Free!

http://electroniccigaretteinformation.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/mel-gibson-braveheart-freedom.jpg

FREEDOM!!!!

Who cares? Why is everyone so dead against Internet Explorer? I've used it for years and it's never given me any grief. Wish I could say the same for that blasted Firefox! God, I installed that once and had nothing but problems since. Even after I uninstalled it I got shit from this computer. Had to reinstall windows.

So yeah, none of you will ever change my mind. Internet Explorer works, Firefox sucks.

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Dec 30 2009, 02:04 PM)
Who cares? Why is everyone so dead against Internet Explorer? I've used it for years and it's never given me any grief. Wish I could say the same for that blasted Firefox! God, I installed that once and had nothing but problems since. Even after I uninstalled it I got shit from this computer. Had to reinstall windows.

So yeah, none of you will ever change my mind. Internet Explorer works, Firefox sucks.

Yeah, same here. I've used Firefox, and it's okay, but I've been using IE much longer.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 30 2009, 02:41 PM)

Yeah, same here. I've used Firefox, and it's okay, but I've been using IE much longer.

My brother (also a Firefox geek), just realized the same thing and went back to Internet Explorer. Firefox f*cked up his computer pretty good laugh.gif

warned him confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Dec 30 2009, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 30 2009, 02:41 PM)

My brother (also a Firefox geek), just realized the same thing and went back to Internet Explorer. Firefox f*cked up his computer pretty good laugh.gif

warned him confused13.gif

Strange, I've used Firefox for at least a couple of years now, and it's been 98% trouble free. And it certainly didn't f**k up my system (running Win XP).