Which band has been around the longest?

The Spirit of Radio

I've pondered this question for a while, and figured someone here might be able to figure it out:

Which band has been around in exactly the same form for the longest? Here's my thinking:

Rush has been around, unchanged, since 1974. They've got to be one of (if not) the oldest.

The Stones lost Bill Wyman in 1989, so no.

Zeppelin lost Bonzo in 80

The Who lost Keith Moon in 78

Cheap Trick has all four original members, but Tom Peterson left from 80-87

Styx and Journey have lost Denis DeYoung and Steve Perry, among others

Kiss is missing Ace and Peter

Whitford and Perry left Aerosmith shortly during the 80s

The Police broke up for a long period in the 80s and 90s, but now they're back together

Are there any bands who have been together, unchanged, for as long as Rush?

Thanks in advance!

smile.gif

tsor

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (heartofcygnus @ Feb 15 2009, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (The Spirit of Radio @ Feb 15 2009, 04:43 PM)
Rush has been around, unchanged, since 1974.

they have changed since '74. rutsey was on the first album, which was released in 1974.

Neil joined in 1974. So that is correct.

I don't how long the Kevin Croinin lead vocals version of REO Speedwagon have been in existence, nor do I care, but I think there still intact with all original members touring the backwaters of county fairs and rib burn offs. tongue.gif

Pop music the B-52'S still together?

I don't how long the Kevin Croinin lead vocals version of REO Speedwagon have been in existence, nor do I care, but I think there still intact with all original members touring the backwaters of county fairs and rib burn offs. 

This isn't even close. I don't know where you got this.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Feb 15 2009, 07:56 PM)
I don't how long the Kevin Croinin lead vocals version of REO Speedwagon have been in existence, nor do I care, but I think there still intact with all original members touring the backwaters of county fairs and rib burn offs. 

This isn't even close. I don't know where you got this.

What do you mean were I got this?

I said, I didn't know how long they been together.

Know they played here locally some outdoor music fest mostly old bands not to long ago with all the original members. I'm aware Rush have been around longer , since bands like Styx, Cheap Trick, Golden Earring were mentioned just thought of REO confused13.gif

And Blue Oyster Cult?

Know they played here locally some outdoor music fest mostly old bands not to long ago with all the original members. I'm aware Rush have been around longer , since bands like Styx, Cheap Trick, Golden Earring were mentioned just thought of REO 
And Blue Oyster Cult?

Sorry, I didn't mean for that to come across so bluntly. I just meant REO Speedwagon has had so many members over the years that they'd rival Yes or Lynyrd Skynyrd. I almost thought you included them as a joke. I think more people have been in the band than not been in the band. Gary Richrath alone was such a huge part of their sound when they were big and he's been gone for decades. Not that I follow them beyond being just a general rock fan but they're simply not touring with their original or "classic" lineup. Dave Amato has been with them on guitar for a long time.

Along similar lines it's kind of funny to hear people say "original lineup" when in the vast majority of cases they mean whatever lineup the band had when it was at its peak. I'm sure most general music fans would assume that Steve Perry was an original member of Journey and Steve Howe was an original member of Yes just to name a couple of examples. Most of these people would be disappointed with the original lineups of a lot of bands.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Feb 15 2009, 09:00 PM)
Know they played here locally some outdoor music fest mostly old bands not to long ago with all the original members. I'm aware Rush have been around longer , since bands like Styx, Cheap Trick, Golden Earring were mentioned just thought of REO 
And Blue Oyster Cult?

Sorry, I didn't mean for that to come across so bluntly. I just meant REO Speedwagon has had so many members over the years that they'd rival Yes or Lynyrd Skynyrd. I almost thought you included them as a joke. I think more people have been in the band than not been in the band. Gary Richrath alone was such a huge part of their sound when they were big and he's been gone for decades. Not that I follow them beyond being just a general rock fan but they're simply not touring with their original or "classic" lineup. Dave Amato has been with them on guitar for a long time.

Along similar lines it's kind of funny to hear people say "original lineup" when in the vast majority of cases they mean whatever lineup the band had when it was at its peak. I'm sure most general music fans would assume that Steve Perry was an original member of Journey and Steve Howe was an original member of Yes just to name a couple of examples. Most of these people would be disappointed with the original lineups of a lot of bands.

No problem, you know more about them then I do, remember seeing ad in newspaper of concert they all were looking there age old.gif So i assumed all "original" good point. I seen them at there commercial peak hi-infidelity tour. 1022.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 15 2009, 07:44 PM)
I don't how long the Kevin Croinin lead vocals version of REO Speedwagon have been in existence, nor do I care, but I think there still intact with all original members touring the backwaters of county fairs and rib burn offs. tongue.gif

yea the B-52s are still together they come around my area soon to play a show. But I have NO IDEA if its the original line up I know next to nothing about them except they were in the Flintstones movie and that the love shack is a little place where we can get together.

What about the band I really hate, also known as The Eagles? (I try to make it a point to not know a whole lot about them).

... as their reunion album says laugh.gif ... Hell Freezes Over ... I think they split in 1980 and regrouped in 1994 for a tour of the same name.

Original Lead Guitarist, Bernie Leadon was also replaced by one of my fav's, Joe Walsh in '75. His lead guitar work/song writing on Hotel California was pretty damn fine!

Several original members of the Eagles were members of Linda Ronstadt's band - the Stone Ponies

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 15 2009, 07:49 PM)
What about the band I really hate, also known as The Eagles?  (I try to make it a point to not know a whole lot about them).

1287.gif They have some good tunes. biggrin.gif But I do not follow them. I am sure the original line up has changed at times. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Feb 15 2009, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 15 2009, 07:44 PM)
I don't  how long the Kevin Croinin lead vocals version of REO Speedwagon have been in existence, nor do I care, but I think there still intact  with all original members touring the backwaters of county fairs and rib burn offs. tongue.gif

yea the B-52s are still together they come around my area soon to play a show. But I have NO IDEA if its the original line up I know next to nothing about them except they were in the Flintstones movie and that the love shack is a little place where we can get together.

I know one of the ladies jumped ship for a while...I think it was the blonde, not Kate.

Oh, & didn't the guitarist die of cancer?

But I do not follow them. I am sure the original line up has changed at times.

Many, many times. Plus that period of almost 15 years where the band didn't exist at all.

I enjoy the Eagles for what they are but outside of the Joe Walsh (who I really like) contributions, it's almost a stretch to even call them rock. I don't just mean hard rock obviously, I mean even soft rock. So many of their songs have more in common with country or pop than rock. They've written a lot of great songs though and I really like a lot of the vocal harmony stuff.

I went to see them twice on their 1994 reunion tour. The one I saw at the Alamodome in San Antonio pissed me off because during their intermission Don Henley actually brought out and introduced a state congressman to lecture the audience about a new piece of legislation that Henley supported. It was something about wildlife or environmental protection and, hey, I love animals as much as anybody but to buy tickets to a concert and then be essentially a captive audience for a political speech so Henley could feel better about himself was aggravating. Regardless of what your politics are that's just not the way to do that, it's just unprofessional. I like U2 to a decent degree too but they're also one of those half band/half political action groups that just makes me appreciate Rush all the more. They do great stuff all the time in a genuine way but don't beat you over the head with it.

Uh, ok, that was a little off topic but I guess I needed to rant about the Eagles. Sorry.

QUOTE (The Spirit of Radio @ Feb 15 2009, 03:43 PM)
I've pondered this question for a while, and figured someone here might be able to figure it out:
Which band has been around in exactly the same form for the longest? Here's my thinking:
Rush has been around, unchanged, since 1974. They've got to be one of (if not) the oldest.
The Police broke up for a long period in the 80s and 90s, but now they're back together

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

tsor

It's not as clear cut as that, though... one could say Rush broke up after Test for Echo and reformed for Vapor Trails. Technically they did, even if they didn't officially.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Feb 15 2009, 09:31 PM)
No problem, you know more about them then I do

Boy, there's something to not be proud of. laugh.gif

Don't knock yourself, I think REO is/was a pretty good band, if you remove Hi Infidelity from the equation or if you go from that album backwards thru their catalog. They have had a number of changes in their lineup over the years.

EDIT:

Forgot.. as to the initial question, I went thru this with a friend recently and we decided that ZZ Top was the winner for longest running lineup without changes.

REM was another one to mention, I forget how long they were together before their drummer left, but it was a pretty long time.

As for the Eagles, They've had enought changes that I'm not sure if they know who's in the lineup until they hit the stage.

One more Edit:

Did the original version of Journey even have a vocalist?

Ok, I got an answer for you. And, don't even think about sayin' they don't qualify, because these guys have qualified for everything, under every label and banner throughout their ridiculously long career. And, every so offten, they find themselves in vogue yet again.

Yep, you failed to guess it, but I'll give it to ya anyway....

The Brothers Gibb

The Bee Gees.

The longest standing musical group in the history of the world. They were together and recording since they were just wee lads, back in the far away year of 1958. Only death could bring an end to that story. Which it did finally in 2003. They were together for a grand total of 45 years. Top that Rolling Stones. There have been numerous additions to the trio, especially live, but the core trio has always stayed intact. In fact, if memory serves, I believe there was a short stint where they all tried to go solo, but it was a tragic failure for all parties.

http://www.sapdesignguild.org/editions/edition6/images/coolcats_bee_gees.jpg

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Feb 15 2009, 09:31 PM)
No problem, you know more about them then I do

Boy, there's something to not be proud of. 

Don't knock yourself, I think REO is/was a pretty good band, if you remove Hi Infidelity from the equation or if you go from that album backwards thru their catalog. They have had a number of changes in their lineup over the years.

Oh I know, I was just joking. They're one of the four biggest bands that were unfairly labeled with that derogatory "corporate rock" moniker along with Styx, Foreigner, and Journey and they've all been mocked for that since they fell from mass popularity. What's always been funny to me is that Boston was also stuck with that label and if you know anything about them you know that Tom Scholtz basically made the first album by himself in a little room with no help and certainly no "corporate money"or influence. He couldn't even get any attention from them and then Boston ironically was called exactly what they were not.

I've gained a whole new level of respect for a lot of bands from the past that I either never cared much for at the time or liked but just didn't appreciate enough. I was in junior high in the early 80s and bands like Journey sounded fine to me on the radio but they weren't all that interesting. I liked them but they didn't really stand out that much. Now, still being a music lover but old enough to be outside the pop culture side of it I'm just shocked when I hear what's on the radio these days. It's just embarrassing. The difference in talent and overall quality of a band like Journey when they were cranking out hits compared to a modern rock band is STAGGERING. After simply hearing their name but otherwise being completely unfamiliar with them I watched the Jonas Brothers on SNL this week. I was just in shock as to how horrible they were. Seriously, even though that's not my kind of music anyway they simply can't sing, play, or write songs any better than any random local band playing in front of 5 people on a Tuesday night at a pool hall. Man, after growing up listening to people like Steve Perry, Freddy Mercury, Rob Halford, Pat Benatar, and on and on I just can't even wrap my brain around how horrible most of these modern rock singers are. They aren't even singers, they're just yellers. Any random kid can do exactly what I saw on SNL the other night.

Wow, two rants in one night.

Edit:

I found one of the performances from SNL. This is like what the bottom feeders in our high school talent shows would've sounded like. What a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBHQSWBP5tk

QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 16 2009, 01:03 AM)
QUOTE (The Spirit of Radio @ Feb 15 2009, 03:43 PM)

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

tsor

It's not as clear cut as that, though... one could say Rush broke up after Test for Echo and reformed for Vapor Trails. Technically they did, even if they didn't officially.

Technically that's true you can put a * next to them on that, but next to ZZ Top , It looks as though Top & Rush stand alone in the "same lineup" contest. More research might uncover some obscure band still playing once in awhile but not on the level of Rush. Which in that respect I think Rush surpasses ZZ Top. When's the last time they put out new material and toured?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 16 2009, 01:54 AM)
Ok, I got an answer for you. And, don't even think about sayin' they don't qualify, because these guys have qualified for everything, under every label and banner throughout their ridiculously long career. And, every so offten, they find themselves in vogue yet again.

Yep, you failed to guess it, but I'll give it to ya anyway....

The Brothers Gibb

The Bee Gees.

The longest standing musical group in the history of the world. They were together and recording since they were just wee lads, back in the far away year of 1958. Only death could bring an end to that story. Which it did finally in 2003. They were together for a grand total of 45 years. Top that Rolling Stones. There have been numerous additions to the trio, especially live, but the core trio has always stayed intact. In fact, if memory serves, I believe there was a short stint where they all tried to go solo, but it was a tragic failure for all parties.

http://www.sapdesignguild.org/editions/edition6/images/coolcats_bee_gees.jpg

That's the first one I thought of too.

Archived