Who is the next Rush??

Barchetta2112

I have just about everything that Rush have ever done on CD and DVD and love 90% of it more than any other music. I have the Working Man and Subdivisions tributes and enjoy them also. I have the Red Star Tribute which is a joke rofl3.gif . The Exit Stage Right tribute is surprisingly enjoyable. I am just getting into Dream Theater, Tiles and Coheed & Cambria.

Can anyone recommend other good bands preferably with a similar guitar style to Alex Lifeson?

Best regards. AlexFinal.gif

Who's the next Rush? A lot of people would tell you Dream Theater - and they'd probably be right - but I don't care for the vocals (too 'hair band') or the lyrics (too dark).

I prefer a Hard Prog band called Spock's Beard, although they're not really too Rush-like.

And has anyone heard of Paradigm Blue? Three-piece, Hard Prog, with Sci-Fi inspired lyrics.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 24 2006, 03:35 PM)
There is no Next Rush. Nor should there be. But mars Volta is what I would say if you want to check stuff out.

Indeed. The Mars Volta is as different and progressive as a rock band can be. They are taking music into an entirely new place. If they keep working they could easily become one of the greatest bands of all time.

Thanks guys.

I'm going to download some Reverse Engineers, Spocks Beard, Paradigm Blue, Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree.

Sorry Fridge, I tried a while back, but just could not get into Radiohead or Muse, but thanks anyway.

I agree with GeddyRulz about Dream Theater, I like them but could still enjoy them without James "The Hair" Labrie. They'd still have one more than Rush without making such a good sound. However, James does provide a little extra animation on the DVDs.

I just got Tile's first CD off ebay and could *almost* believe Alex Lifeson was playing on at least 3 of the tracks. After reading some online reviews, I am now awaiting two, more recent, Tiles CDs in the hope of more Lifeson style guitar work.

You guys might like to try the G3 live in Tokyo DVD. That is, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Jon Petrucci (Dream Theater) with (among others) Mike Portnoy and Bill Sheehan. I loved it, fantastic guitar work - but I still prefer Lerxst.

Any other suggestions for Lifeson style guitar work would be welcome.

Thanks again, great forum. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Please have a look at my homepage. >> Nothing to do with Rush

I've given Dream Theatre a try and I don't see the comparison to Rush that people have discussed. I like them, but they aren't even close in my opinion. The only modern band that I can say I think is anywhere close to Rush is TOOL. They are amazing composers and lyricists and have the same work ethic and seriousness about their music that Rush has. They are also all amazing at their respective instruments. Danny may be even better than Neil in some regards. Adam lays down a texure to each song with his guitar that transcends the normal guitar of today's music scene. Justin just WAILS on bass and Maynard... do i even have to say anything about MAYNARD??? He's the best male voice in Rock and Roll today, in my opinion. Check them out if you're not already familiar with them. New CD is coming out soon, but I'd recommend starting with Undertow if you haven't heard them yet.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 25 2006, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Apr 25 2006, 03:47 PM)
If you have ever heard of the band "Muse" they are awesome and they remind me of rush beacuse they are 3 guys just rockin out.

Radiohead > Muse

Yes. If you're going to go that route, pick up Radiohead's albums The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief.

Muse doesn't do anything for me. They sound like Radiohead except uncreative.

I read the header on this thread, and started thinking about it before I started reading responses.

I agree with PuppetKing. There is no "Next Rush", the industry just isn't built to accomodate that style of a band's creativity anymore. Industry execs just don't have the patience for it anymore. They merely copy templates of originality that have worked before.

That being said, there are two exceptions to that tendency;

The Mars Volta, and Tool.

I've been surprised to see that TMV has been getting airplay, and backing from their record label.

They are the closest thing that prog. music has gotten to mainstream success since...well, Rush!

Unfortunately, like Rush, the pitch and timbre of the lead vocals turn some people off, even though they may like the music. I've met several people of this opinion.

As far as band composition and chemistry with similarity to Rush, I would have to go with Tool.

Like Peart, Carey approaches his drums like a percussion instrument, rather than a "kit", and he and the bassist, Justin, play time changes in their songs that would make Neil and Geddy shake their heads in amazement.

The bass carries most, if not all of the melody, the guitar is used mostly for crunch, where needed, and to create a very Lifesonesque atmosphere of space and mood.

The difference is that they are much heavier and darker than Rush, and you have to have at least a passing affinity for heavy rock to find them digestible.

Also, like Rush; They have a very devoted and loyal fan base, and despite the fact that they average almost four years between studio releases, each new recording is greeted with the same enthusiasm as the last.

Hmmmmm...time for some Volta and Tool, right now!! icon_alienjig.gif

Archived