NWK's Rush Song Rankings and Reviews

New World Kid

Lyrics not as cringe worthy as Virtuality. At least there's tongue in cheek on this song.

Yeah, not even close to Virtuality cringe, or to a lot of the more pedantic preachiness Neil put out. Fun is fun, so don't look too serious (as you look to Sirius).

aside from the chorus, Neurotica is one of my favorite songs musically on RTB

Yeah it starts off amazingly, gets into a great groove, and then arrives at a terrible chorus. Dang.
  • Like 1

Yeah it starts off amazingly, gets into a great groove, and then arrives at a terrible chorus. Dang.

A lyrical masterpiece, though, for sure.

A lyrical masterpiece, though, for sure.

I forgot-ica.

KmAzVIn.jpg

Out of the Cradle

Overall Score: 2/10

(relative to the entire Rush catalog)

Category scores out of 10:

Historical Significance: 4

Fan Favoritism: 3

Lyrics: 6

Music: 6

Uniqueness: 6

Extra Credit: 7

You might expect me to reference the Walt Whitman poem in this review. The poem exists, go look it up. It’s the kind of mid 1800’s poetry that always feel more like a reading assignment than something worth consuming. Something a pseudo-intellectual will champion when I’ve always been more for the straight forward words of Kurt Vonnegut or Ernest Hemmingway. That’s my opinion on literature though, and I’m not really here to critique that.

Maybe another time.

But ever the dedicated reader, Neil Part must have come across the lines “Endlessly Rocking” and written this. Though the poem itself chronicles life to death, and is simply named for the first line, Peart only bothered to take most from the first few lines.

I agree, it’s hard to get too deep into it Neil. It’s very ornate.

But hey, you could make a pun out of this! Endlessly rocking and all that.

After reading Ghost Rider, I think there’s another connection here, often overlooked, to Neil specifically. Often times int he novel, he’ll refer to his “little baby soul.” His more impulsive and easily impressed side. Something new and vulnerable that needed to be nurtured inside of him. Something seeking newness and novelty.

So I think this song explores not only being that, experiencing that feeling… but also protecting it, nurturing it.

Mixing this new soul with years of experience. Madness with method, smiles and sadness. Energy, inspiration.

Musically, for Rush, this is a very moody and groovy piece at the beginning. I can’t ever remember the band including a shaker in their instrumentation, but it sounds nice and works great here.

The upbeat tone in the lyrics is complimented with some frantic guitar and, particularly, bass work. Soaring Geddy Lee vocals reach the highest highs on the song.

A middle section with some softer tones and “doo-doo-doos” is nice, but already done a few times on Vapor Trails. There is a background noise during the softer section that, I don’t know what it is or how to describe it. I’d have thought it was a keyboard, save for Vapor Trails not having any. It’s a nice effect.

This is a solid song, but it’s honestly unremarkable in anything but the lyrics. Nothing particularly fresh, on the last track of an album that can be criticized as being “samey.”

I love the optimism though. Neil once spoke about writing songs that were “optimism with a bloody nose,” and this is a good entry into that category. I just wish the guitar work could’ve gone somewhere. I don't particularly have a lot to say about this one, if I'm being honest. It's not a skip, but it's not a song I go out of my way to listen to.

Previous Reviews:

#39 Working Man

#62 Caravan

#88 Time and Motion

#99 Nocturne

#125 Between Sun and Moon

#132 Making Memories

#134 Out of the Cradle

#136 Neurotica

#139 Lessons

#153 Dog Years

#164 Rivendell

#165 Anagram (for Mongo)

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 1

You might expect me to reference the Walt Whitman poem in this review. The poem exists, go look it up. It’s the kind of mid 1800’s poetry that always feel more like a reading assignment than something worth consuming. Something a pseudo-intellectual will champion ...

But ever the dedicated reader, Neil Part must have come across the lines “Endlessly Rocking” and written this. Though the poem itself chronicles life to death, and is simply named for the first line, Peart only bothered to take most from the first few lines...

I think you miss the mark here, perhaps projecting your own preferences of literature with Neil's reading habits and how they influenced his work.

:cheers:

You might expect me to reference the Walt Whitman poem in this review. The poem exists, go look it up. It’s the kind of mid 1800’s poetry that always feel more like a reading assignment than something worth consuming. Something a pseudo-intellectual will champion ...

But ever the dedicated reader, Neil Part must have come across the lines “Endlessly Rocking” and written this. Though the poem itself chronicles life to death, and is simply named for the first line, Peart only bothered to take most from the first few lines...

I think you miss the mark here, perhaps projecting your own preferences of literature with Neil's reading habits and how they influenced his work.

You're probably right. I can only stomach so many "O gentle whatevers with your adjective nouns" before my eyes glaze over.

• Like 3

You're probably right. I can only stomach so many "O gentle whatevers with your adjective nouns" before my eyes glaze over.

:LOL:

A very detailed review, well done and keep up the good work!

For me this song is just plain dull.

A poor album ender.