Drumsticks

Lorraine

Live and learn. :)

Only this morning did I find out that drumsticks made the sound at the beginning of Magic Bus.

If that is so, then drumsticks make the sound at the beginning of this song too because it's the same sound:

What other songs are drumsticks used to make sounds other than drumming?

Doesn't sound quite the same to me. Slapping the drum sticks together makes more of a click or clap kind of sound like on Magic Bus. With the Cars song it sounds more like a clanging noise. Perhaps a keyboard effect or something? It was the 80s when that song came out Edited by J2112YYZ

Doesn't sound quite the same to me. Slapping the drum sticks together makes more of a click or clap kind of sound like on Magic Bus. With the Cars song it sounds more like a clanging noise. Perhaps a keyboard effect or something? It was the 80s when that song came out

Are you sure it's not drumsticks?

I will find a live performance of it and see what they do.

EDIT: Can't see anyone doing anything on stage that would account for that clicking. No info on the wiki entry for the song either.

Edited by Lorraine

Doesn't sound quite the same to me. Slapping the drum sticks together makes more of a click or clap kind of sound like on Magic Bus. With the Cars song it sounds more like a clanging noise. Perhaps a keyboard effect or something? It was the 80s when that song came out

Are you sure it's not drumsticks?

I will find a live performance of it and see what they do.

If it is drumsticks, obviously live they would have to do it differently since the drummer can't clap the sticks and play the main beat at the same time.

I looked to see if the Cars have a forum like this one. I was going to sign up and ask. But their forum is dead so I wouldn't get an answer there.

Someone here probably knows what it is.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

They're "claves" (claw-vase), a percussion instrument popularized in South American/Cuban music.

220px-Playingclaves.jpg

You can see Moon f*cking around with them around 0:17.

To totally confuse you, a "clave" is also a rhythm!

• Like 1

You're right; that's the sound. Thank you.

Is it the same on The Cars' song? That one sounds more hollow.

Dunno about the Cars song. Maybe somebody tapping on the body of a drum, or a tap-shoe sample? :huh:

Here's a fun one full of clicks for you!

(played with drumsticks on the rims and sides of drums)

You're right; that's the sound. Thank you.

Is it the same on The Cars' song? That one sounds more hollow.

It actually sounds like it could be short strokes on a guiro, put through effects.
  • Like 1

I typed in "what rock songs use a guiro" and this came up: https://reverb.com/n...hand-percussion

but I don't hear it in the Foo Fighters tune. Without hearing it, I can't tell if that is what is being used.

Goose, why don't you give Rick Ocasek a call and just ask him? I'm sure he'd be happy to hear from you. :) Or we can just channel Ben maybe. :ph34r:

Edited by Lorraine

I typed in "what rock songs use a guiro" and this came up: https://reverb.com/n...hand-percussion

but I don't hear it in the Foo Fighters tune. Without hearing it, I can't tell if that is what is being used.

Goose, why don't you give Rick Ocasek a call and just ask him? I'm sure he'd be happy to hear from you. :) Or we can just channel Ben maybe. :ph34r:

RickNBacker went to school with CandyO or something like that. He's our best resource. Get me the Rick Phone!
  • Like 1

Unless a guiro is drenched in the wettest of reverbs, it is merely a scraper. :yes:

The cuica is kind of like a cross between a drum and a guiro, and is one of the most irritating instruments known -- next to those metal castanets from Morocco, or the piccolo.

Lor, are you thinking of joining a rhythm band? :huh: :P

LP-LP760A.jpg

Edited by vaportrailer

Unless a guiro is drenched in the wettest of reverbs, it is merely a scraper. :yes:

The cuica is kind of like a cross between a drum and a guiro, and is one of the most irritating instruments known -- next to those metal castanets from Morocco, or the piccolo.

LP-LP760A.jpg

No, I just wanted to know what was making that sound at the beginning of The Cars song. :)

I'll go see if The Cars has an official website or something. Maybe I can find out there.

• Like 1

LP-LP760A.jpg

No, I just wanted to know what was making that sound at the beginning of The Cars song. :)

I'll go see if The Cars has an official website or something. Maybe I can find out there.

Might it be a percussion setting on an electronic keyboard/synth?

Might be in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0rWZb1xuSE

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 1

LP-LP760A.jpg

Might it be a percussion setting on an electronic keyboard/synth?

Might be in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0rWZb1xuSE

I don't think so, but the music possibilities with that are many. You could make some really nice music with that instrument.