Why did 70s prog rock bands turn to new wave in the 80s as a sound change?

fraroc

I'm gonna say it. I really don't like 90125. it comes across as Yes trying to be current and just failing. The pop sound wasn't a good look on yes....and to suggest it's their best album lowkey kinda hurts me, lol

Mick

I actually think with Rabin their songs were not so much "pop" as they were a little heavier.

I give Rabin his due as a great guitarist, but Yes without Howe is just...'Maybe'.

Alot of the prog bands moved beyond that to more accessible material around that time. some did better than others (kansas..pop band...ugh fail).

I always thought Rabin did great guitar work all over 90125, but to imagine Howe's take on the same songs and riffs and melodies...I can't help but think it could be even better.

Hard to image Howe playing Owner of a Lonely Heart, but maybe.

I'm gonna say it. I really don't like 90125. it comes across as Yes trying to be current and just failing. The pop sound wasn't a good look on yes....and to suggest it's their best album lowkey kinda hurts me, lol

Mick

I actually think with Rabin their songs were not so much "pop" as they were a little heavier.

I give Rabin his due as a great guitarist, but Yes without Howe is just...'Maybe'.

Alot of the prog bands moved beyond that to more accessible material around that time. some did better than others (kansas..pop band...ugh fail).

I always thought Rabin did great guitar work all over 90125, but to imagine Howe's take on the same songs and riffs and melodies...I can't help but think it could be even better.

he's played it every time I've seen them

Mick

I misspoke. I meant creating it. I’m sure he’s a decent enough guitarist to play the song.

• Like 1

Mick

I misspoke. I meant creating it. I’m sure he’s a decent enough guitarist to play the song.

yeah, he pretty much phones it in. doesn't really add a spin to it. it sounds like rabin's playing it. howe looks bored. then again, he looks bored during every song

Mick

Kansas DID suck at pop rock. God were the 80's awful for them.

Mick

I LOVE DRASTIC MEASURES

Might actually be my favourite Kansas album...

Don't shoot me...

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I LOVE DRASTIC MEASURES

Don't shoot me...

no it's cool.

it's a bit to goofy for me, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

I LOVE DRASTIC MEASURES

Don't shoot me...

no it's cool.

Mick

Yet you like Signals and all that Chemistry/Digital Man bollocks!

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I LOVE DRASTIC MEASURES

Don't shoot me...

no it's cool.

Mick

see i get goofy From digital man.....OK maybe Chemistry, lol

still better than HELLO HELLO HELLO!!!!!!!

Mick

Mick

Mick

I LOVE DRASTIC MEASURES

Don't shoot me...

no it's cool.

Mick

see i get goofy From digital man.....OK maybe Chemistry, lol

still better than HELLO HELLO HELLO!!!!!!!

Mick

I thought immediately of Smells Like Teen Spirit...

• Like 1