Rate the Rush album part VIII: 2112  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the album 2112

• ★☆☆☆☆
    • ★★☆☆☆
    • ★★★☆☆
    • ★★★★☆
    • ★★★★★

I gave it 5 stars, as like most of the early albums, taken as a whole, it is an amazing experience ..

Side A speaks for itself, and Passage, Tears and Something For Nothing can all sneak into my Top 10 on any given day

2112 as an album overall is closer to a five than a four, but if we could break it down, it would be 4.5

What is disappointing, in retrospect, is not the fact that Lessons and Twilight Zone aren't enjoyable, but that 2112 was the last realistic chance Garden Road could have been properly recorded and released

You put Garden Road somewhere on Side B and you've got a side that can compete with Side A

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I gave it 5 stars, as like most of the early albums, taken as a whole, it is an amazing experience ..

Side A speaks for itself, and Passage, Tears and Something For Nothing can all sneak into my Top 10 on any given day

2112 as an album overall is closer to a five than a four, but if we could break it down, it would be 4.5

What is disappointing, in retrospect, is not the fact that Lessons and Twilight Zone aren't enjoyable, but that 2112 was the last realistic chance Garden Road could have been properly recorded and released

You put Garden Road somewhere on Side B and you've got a side that can compete with Side A

2112 is still a masterpiece. Five stars, surely. :notworthy:

2112 begins with every bit of fire they needed to have the careers they've had. But it isn't stellar all the way through.

I think that the middle isn't as good as the beginning two sections or the finale.

So I give side A 4 stars rather than the five most seem to choose.

Side B has a lot of very good music and the experiments largely work.

For me Twilight Zone and Something are the best tracks.

Lessons is a great song with weak lyrics and the hate it gets is odd. Sure it fits into their first iteration better, as does Best I can, but it's a good song.

Tears bores me.

Passage used to be my favorite track, but it feels a bit dated to me now while Something still works really well.

Another 4 star side, and it's a 4 star album.

It had everything they were good at, and it was a turning point to what they would do next. But Kings and Hemispheres both did it all better.

Now, I think I would say 2112 is their most important album.

The title track is my favorite Rush song of all so it gets a 5 star ranking. The add in Something for Nothing which is a top 10 Rush song for and likewise gets a 5 star ranking. Passage is at least a 4 star song. Tears, Lessons & Twilight Zone are weaker songs (3 or weak 4 stars) but somehow they fit perfectly. They may be weaker but they flow and help the album build to its great end with Something 4 Nothing.

Wish I could give it 6 stars - but 5 it is.

2112: 10.0 (out of 10)

A Passage to Bangkok: 9.5

The Twilight Zone: 6.7

Lessons: 8.5

Tears: 9.0

Something for Nothing: 9.5

That averages out to 8.9, but bearing in mind that the song 2112 takes up about 52.8% of the album by itself and is a perfect 10, I'd actually rate it somewhere in the low-to-mid 9s. Maybe 9.3. That's good enough for 5 stars.